Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Broken SPEC clutch pics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006 | 05:54 PM
Account Disabled

Broken SPEC clutch pics

here is the beginning of this, from another thread... and then pics as we removed it today...

keep in mind this is the second time this happened, but read below..

-------

from previous

SPEC

we had a small sponsorship with them for our evo and sti project cars...

evo mr-

first we get the clutch install it... go to start the car... wont go in or out of gear... take it back apart.... send it to them... with our stock clutch

"oh the MR clutch may be slightly different"

turns out the center disc spline section was wrong.... bad clearance issue...

they send me another.... dont send my stock one back... then tell me they threw it away.... and are going to replace the stock one.

so... put the new clutch back in... as we are installing it we notice the splines are a bit different shaped then the stocker... and the clutch can be moved side to side a little... but hey.... so we put it back together.

lots of chatter... sprung hub stage 3 +... (no chatter in the sti) thinking maybe because of some slight burrs from the first mess up on their part.

driving it one night, shift normal, a little quick (keep in mind im a professional road racer... but im not abusive... i dont like breaking ****)... pedal sticks to the floor....

slave cylinder rod is hanging out... look through the inspection hole, and the clip is ripped clear out of the pressure plate. I call... they say send it to them. Im trying to get it fixed quick... so i pay 65 for two day shipping...

they get it "we will replace the clip and fix it for 100 bucks".... i just want it fixed so i say fine "but im getting a little uncomfortable with the screw ups".

get it back.... (oh yeah...finally get a new stocker back, 3 months later) and install it... driving it tonight...one shift from 3rd to 4th... pedal sticks to the floor.

broke the clip again.

What if this was a customer car? i would have had to eat the labor on three clutch installs at 700 bucks each?!?!?!?

im going to call tomorrow.. I want to be reimbursed for my time for one install... thats it. and to cover my labor. If it doesnt happen, ill file a suit.

anyway

I would steer clear. Now im stuck about 2 weeks from show season, and i need a new clutch solution for the MR. its a shame the tilton doesnt fit.

cheers

cb
cbrdspeedfactory.com

------------------------------------------------------------

Well,

I spoke with SPEC,

they are refunding my money for the clutch, it was a sponsorship price, so it wasnt much, but nontheless.

I am also asking for the money back for shipping charges (65 bucks, 3 times) for having to send the clutch back for repairs before, and for having to send them the stocker back to measure when the first clutch was wrong.

I think I'm being a little less assertive than I should, because figure.

clutch removal and re-install 4 times x $750.00 = $3,000
shipping charges of = $190.00
repair for clip = $100.00

total of $3290.00

If this was a customer's car, I would have eaten a loaner car cost etc, because of their product.

Hopefully they will rectify the problems, I hate to have these issues with companies in our industry.

Im going to go Exedy or ACT 6 puck.... since the Tilton doesnt work on the MR.

cb
cbrdspeedfactory.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

pictures of broken clip (most recent time) i will post pics later or tomorrow of the first time, they arent on this computer.

through underside inspection hole

another

anyway, they were trying to imply that we broke the clip ourselves... but we install, use a hoist to prevent damage on install... the pop in the clip...then check rod/fork travel through both inspection holes.. plus we've done a few of these, and we have a mitsu certified tech that ran us through it the first time... we have gotten it down to a 4.5 hour job now, out and in...

cb
chadblock.com
Old Apr 4, 2006 | 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

That plate doesnt look to healthy it self
Old Apr 4, 2006 | 05:56 PM
Account Disabled

the last time, the actual retaining clip ripped clear out of the pressure plate. I sent it back to SPEC and they put another one in.

also...

i have a small video of my looking at the play on the stock center disk, and the SPEC. You can move the spec back and forth, side to side if you grab it and wiggle, and it doesnt slide over the splines like the exedy stocker does.

cb
Old Apr 4, 2006 | 05:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TalonRcR
That plate doesnt look to healthy it self
yeah, and it was in the car for about 600 miles or so....

there was serious chatter which i believe was from the fitment of the splines on the transmission output shaft. creating the dimpled hotspots... flywheel looks the same.

cb
Old Apr 4, 2006 | 06:05 PM
Account Disabled

here are the two different disks, first one on left, that was wrong, and second one on right....totally different...obviously wrong....

cb
Old Apr 4, 2006 | 06:09 PM
Account Disabled

keep in mind, in that pic..

both have the flywheel side down (as labeled by spec)

so the first one was obviously way off (wouldnt go in or out of gear).... and they first said it was a "bad install" ha!

cb
Old Apr 4, 2006 | 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

WOW! I thought spec had a good name in the clutch world!! I guess they need a little more R&D on the EVO!! Let us know how the ACT is if you go that route. I was considering the exedy single, but was told any drag racing would shred it. But they say the twin plate will handle launching? I am not sure what I think, but I am leaning toward a full size disc in like a 6 puck suck as ACT being better for drag racing.
Old Apr 5, 2006 | 06:04 AM
EvoM Guru

I havent dealt with any Spec clutches myslef but I can honestly say by looking at these pics and your description, this is not a defect of the clutch manufacturer. The clip on the factory Exedy pressure plate is an Exedy design and patent, not ACT, SPEC, CM, etc. It is the design for most pull type systems. All the aftermarket single disc clutches modify the clamp force of the Exedy pressure plate, its still an Exedy part to begin with. I have seen that clip break with the factory clutch, with a dual disc Exedy, with a clutchmaster, ACT and a Cusco dual disc. This is a common problem with drag racing. It happens due to the shock that the pressure plate receives when a brutal launch is made. Enough feathering and it doesnt happen, then again those metallic discs in the pics look to not be very forgiving. So all in all I dont see this as being a defect, rather a cause of abuse. This also happens when the re-installation of the tranny somehow hits the pressure plate therefore barely deforming the clip. I speak with experience by the way, having done about 30 Evo clutches.
Old Apr 5, 2006 | 06:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by superz
I havent dealt with any Spec clutches myslef but I can honestly say by looking at these pics and your description, this is not a defect of the clutch manufacturer. The clip on the factory Exedy pressure plate is an Exedy design and patent, not ACT, SPEC, CM, etc. It is the design for most pull type systems. All the aftermarket single disc clutches modify the clamp force of the Exedy pressure plate, its still an Exedy part to begin with. I have seen that clip break with the factory clutch, with a dual disc Exedy, with a clutchmaster, ACT and a Cusco dual disc. This is a common problem with drag racing. It happens due to the shock that the pressure plate receives when a brutal launch is made. Enough feathering and it doesnt happen, then again those metallic discs in the pics look to not be very forgiving. So all in all I dont see this as being a defect, rather a cause of abuse. This also happens when the re-installation of the tranny somehow hits the pressure plate therefore barely deforming the clip. I speak with experience by the way, having done about 30 Evo clutches.
superZ,

The first time we did the install, i thought, perhaps we could have damaged the clip.... but SPEC wasnt so sure, because the first time the fingers ripped from around the pressured plate, not just the center clip. A clip they had at the shop was installed in the pressure plate and sent back to us.

The second time, it ripped the center retaining ring out. Seeing as this was the third time we were re-installing this clutch, we were extremely careful upon installation, one person below, one up top, and one raising the hoist with the trans attached. No contact was made with the pressure plate at all, as we were observing from both directions.

What concerned me most, was that (as shown in the pics) the first clutch sent to us was completely wrong. And SPEC had requested we send them our stock clutch assembly for measurement etc. This to me was unacceptable at the time, and they did nothing as far as covering shipping etc. The fitment of the clutch on the output shaft left something to be desired...we had to use lapping compound and some jeweler files to get it to move freely on the output shaft (even when the stocker would move fine.)

Also, the car is not abused, it is a 2005 with 7000 miles, and the stock clutch was pulled (even after a large t4 turbo was on the car at 400whp) and it was in fine shape, we did the upgrade for re-assurance. The car currently has a 35R etc on it, but has never been launched, and never will.

We have done plenty of clutches in these cars and other (subaru's etc) and have very few, if ever any, issues.

cheers,

cb

Last edited by CBRD; Apr 5, 2006 at 06:28 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2006 | 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

i have used many Spec clutches on the EVO and never once had an issue. I have always found them to be more than helpful too. I really hope you are able to find a solution for yourself.

best of luck.
Old Sep 11, 2006 | 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

very interesting.....

Im having the exact same problem with the Exedy twin disk......

I broke the retaining clip once at the track. After fixing it it broke again on the street doing a spirited 1-2 shift the next day.

Let me know if you figure anything out. Could it be a possible problem with the rod length in the slave cylinder? I heard of some people getting a shorter rod.

Last edited by SubiEvolved; Sep 11, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2006 | 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

I know this doesn't pertain to our cars however SPEC clutches have gotten a bad rap in some of the Acura/Honda forums. I personally know of 3 friends that have had Spec stage 2 & 3 clutches with problematic results. It seems that SPEC has some definate unresolved issues.
Old Sep 11, 2006 | 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

i'm putting a SPEC stage 2 segmented kevlar clutch in my MR currently with the help of CDRD(thanks alot chad)and i hope it works, if not, i'll be very upset.

Last edited by hondafan; Sep 11, 2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2006 | 07:37 PM
Account Disabled

This is why we do not deal SPEC clutches and defer customers from this brand.
Old Sep 11, 2006 | 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

I have posted before about my friends issues with SPEC clutches in his turboed SE-R, I will never buy one.

Quick Reply: Broken SPEC clutch pics