Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Sudden Intake Noise Decrease

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006 | 04:04 AM

Sudden Intake Noise Decrease

My mods right now are BR stage 2. Lately Ive been fighting the hose clamp war and have a few T-bolt clamps on the way (local NAPAs didnt have any).

Yesterday morning I gave the car a little gas, boosted to maybe 7 psi at partial throttle and noticed the whistle from the intake sounded a lot quieter. Normally it sounds like a power tool firing up. I know I had heard it normally right before that. When I got to work, I did a quick check of the MAF pipe & UICP connections. Ha! The MAF was slipping off the pipe, so I took it off, tightened everything back up and expected my drive back home to welcome me with the sound I was used to. No deal.

When I got home, I checked again. It was still on there all the way but the UICP and TB had about a 1/2" gap between them (inside the sleeve of course). So, loosened the clamp, slid it on further, tightened it up. This morning same deal, the sound is still quieter. I did go WOT for a couple seconds yesterday in 5th and the car did seem to run normally and at my set boost level (19-20 psi).

Here is a pic. of my set-up. Yeah, I think the MAF pipe is on backwards. The stock recirc hose wouldnt reach the APS the other way. Im looking to fix it soon so the air filter isnt as close to the hood. I fear it's hitting at times, which may have led to the MAF sliding off the pipe.

Any ideas about this would be great.

Old Apr 5, 2006 | 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

i think u answered your own question
Originally Posted by saw22
My mods right now are BR stage 2. Lately Ive been fighting the hose clamp war and have a few T-bolt clamps on the way (local NAPAs didnt have any).

Yesterday morning I gave the car a little gas, boosted to maybe 7 psi at partial throttle and noticed the whistle from the intake sounded a lot quieter. Normally it sounds like a power tool firing up. I know I had heard it normally right before that. When I got to work, I did a quick check of the MAF pipe & UICP connections. Ha! The MAF was slipping off the pipe, so I took it off, tightened everything back up and expected my drive back home to welcome me with the sound I was used to. No deal.

When I got home, I checked again. It was still on there all the way but the UICP and TB had about a 1/2" gap between them (inside the sleeve of course). So, loosened the clamp, slid it on further, tightened it up. This morning same deal, the sound is still quieter. I did go WOT for a couple seconds yesterday in 5th and the car did seem to run normally and at my set boost level (19-20 psi).

Here is a pic. of my set-up. Yeah, I think the MAF pipe is on backwards. The stock recirc hose wouldnt reach the APS the other way. Im looking to fix it soon so the air filter isnt as close to the hood. I fear it's hitting at times, which may have led to the MAF sliding off the pipe.

Any ideas about this would be great.

Old Apr 5, 2006 | 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
i think u answered your own question
How was that? Crappy hose clamps are problematic in general?