Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Regards Bov to Air

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the right of the exhaust manifold under that air scoop leading into the intake. One side of the valve goes into the turbo inlet pipe and the other end has a small radiator type hose leading from the upper intercooler pipe. It's a plastic thing with a vacuum line coming out of it.

To everyone else, I wont bother explaining how blow off valves work when venting to the atmos vs. back into the intake. I've only explained it about 20 times.

Ahh, I give up here it goes (brief version):

It's specific to mitsubishi and some other brands, not all blow off valves. The MAF knows how much air was blown off by the valve and it includes it in it's next calculation for air.

air from valve + air from air box = air engine is expecting

if you dont let it vent back in to the turbo inlet:

air from air box < air engine is expecting = air/fuel ratio will have less air than it should (running rich)

Last edited by Coolguy949; Apr 8, 2003 at 11:40 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

yeah but does the blow off valve vent at idle? shouldnt it be completely closed? and the engine under vacuum?
Old Apr 9, 2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by ADMstunna
yeah but does the blow off valve vent at idle? shouldnt it be completely closed? and the engine under vacuum?
It depends on the blow off valve. The vacuum pressure is what causes them to open. The line that goes into the top of the valve is manifold pressure. When your boosting it puts pressure on the valve, in addition to the spring pressure, to keep the valve closed. If the spring is too weak then boost will leak out, this is one reason why people upgrade the valve.
Anyways, when you come off the throttle and the throttle body closes, the intake manifold goes into a vacuum state - even thought the rest of the intake tract is pressurized. This vacuum pulls against the spring pressure in the blow off valve to open it and allow it to either vent to atmosphere or direct it back into the intake. If the sping is too weak then it will be open under idle vacuum pressure. Conversly, if the spring pressure is too high then the valve will not open when needed, and the pressure wave of the boost will bounce off the throttle body, back through the intake, and back to the compressor wheel in the opposite direction of the flow. In extreme cases that can actually damage the compressor wheel, but most often just stalls/slows the turbo compressor. This effect will also make the car buck/surge briefly when getting out of the boost.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

great explanation. so what seems to be the problem is with aftermarket blow off valves - a stiffer spring may lead to complete closure under idle and decent idle but atmospheric vent leads to bog in between shifts. conversely, in aftermarket blow off valves where poeple are getting funny idles, it seems to be a improper installation of the manifold pressure hose and adjustment of the spring pressure where it is venting pressure at idle as well as under boost leading to bogging in between shifts and crappy idle. right. lol.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

So I guess the question really is...

Does there exist a venting BOV that won't be detrimental to daily driving and performance?

(assuming that we have no control over the A/F ratio)

Seems like our best bet is to just get a recirc BOV. You can always get a new intake, that would help with the "pssshhhhh" sound, I guess...
Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, on mitsubishis, if you run the BOV dumping back into the intake then you will notice no change in driveability - none at all. I have a Greddy Type-S in my eclipse and it drives just like stock but it can hold more boost because the stock plastic valve leaks.

The key on all blow off valves is adjustment. You have to adjust it correctly, then it should run just like stock. The little screw on top of the valve adjusts how much vacuum opens the valve. If you have the screw too lose the car will idle funny simply because it takes hardly any vacuum to open the valve. WHen the valve is too tight you'll notice it too. When letting go of the gas the car will decellerate aburptly, almost like you tapped the brakes. This is because the pressure in the intercooler pipes wasnt fully relieved and the air went colliding back into the turbo impeller (bad - defeats purpose of BOV). They key is to get the right adjustment. It takes weeks to get it right. Weeks of stopping off the side of the road, opening the hood and turning the screw some more because it doesnt feel right.

As soon as I get my evo i'm sticking my greddy in there and i'll let you guys know what the ideal setting is for me. THe setting is also dependant on how much boost you are running. More boost will most likely need a tighter setting.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Last edited by Coolguy949; Apr 9, 2003 at 11:36 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 11:31 AM

Good info. Coolguy!

For those of you that are worried about losing the pshhhh sound when you don't have the BOV venting to the atmosphere, I wouldn't worry to much because I think you'll still hear the sound. My brother had a Greddy Type S on his old Stealth twin turbo and it was recirculating back into the air intake like stock, and it still had a loud sound to it, you could hear him coming from down the street!
Old Apr 9, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, once you get an aftermarket intake filter you will hear it loud and clear. It acts like a large speaker. You can hear the turbo whine and even the stock BOV whoosh. Aftermarket BOV is even louder. With the stock airbox you can hear the whistle, but no whoosh sound.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,

We have our own HKS SSQV Blow-off Valve kit for the Evo VIII. Doesn't stall at all. Off of high rpms it generally falls to a nice idle. Every so often it will dip a bit lower...but nothing too bad. Never had it stall once.

Old Apr 9, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by seattle944t

Um, No.

Blow off valves that vent to atmosphere are fine when a car uses a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure, also known some times as speed/density) system for fuel management. A MAP system measures the pressure inside the intake, after the throttle body, and then adds fuel based on this amount of air. The air is not measured until it actually makes it into the intake

Recirulating Blow off valves (really a compressor bypass valve since they don't vent) direct the air back into the intake track before the turbo. They are used on systems that use MAF (Mass Air Flow - AKA hot wire) systems. The MAF system Mesaures the air coming into the engine at the near the beginning of the intake tract. Think about a turbo system and you have several feet worth of intake plumming. These cubic feet of air have been measured, and fuel has been added to match that amount of air.

When you add a blow-off valve that vents to atmosphere on a system that uses a MAF it causes problems with the Air/Fuel mixture, every time it is venting. This is why cars will stumble/stutter/stall during gear changes. The reason is the air that is being vented has already been measured and had fuel added for that mass of air. The blow off valve just vented all that pressure outside the intake tract. Your A/F ratio is now something like 7:1 or worse. So the car bogs from the way over-rich A/F ratio.
i was talking about the MAF hot wire systems that cause the stalling. its because it puts more gas in the engine compensating from air from the blow off, when there is no air because it is vented into the atmosphere, then it still puts the extra fuel in, causing it to run way rich. i thought the evo 8 had a MAF system? am i wrong? if it has a MAP then there shouldnt be AS MUCH of a problem. but it will still over compensate for the blown off extra air.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Hi. How are you guys getting your blow off valves on the aluminum piping? I picked up the Greddy type S BOV with the aluminum flange. I was just going to use a reducer silicone coupling to join the little pipe from the BOV flange to the little pipe that the stock BOV's radiator-hose-looking thing is clamped to. The stock pipe's outlet for the stock BOV's hose is like 1", maybe 1 1/4". The Greddy thing is like 1.5". The thing points down. I tried just mounting the whole thing on that part of the intercooler pipe, and it simply doesn't fit. The BOV is too wide. Doesn't fit in the space between the head and the side of the battery. What to do? Does somebody make a pipe with flange that puts the BOV to the side, like closer to the mass air meter, or is there some other way? I do want the Greddy BOV to vent back into the intake.

Might have to rig something up....
I wanna know what you guys are doing though.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Get the 95'99 eclipse kit
Old Apr 9, 2003, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Incognito
Hi. How are you guys getting your blow off valves on the aluminum piping? I picked up the Greddy type S BOV with the aluminum flange. I was just going to use a reducer silicone coupling to join the little pipe from the BOV flange to the little pipe that the stock BOV's radiator-hose-looking thing is clamped to. The stock pipe's outlet for the stock BOV's hose is like 1", maybe 1 1/4". The Greddy thing is like 1.5". The thing points down. I tried just mounting the whole thing on that part of the intercooler pipe, and it simply doesn't fit. The BOV is too wide. Doesn't fit in the space between the head and the side of the battery. What to do? Does somebody make a pipe with flange that puts the BOV to the side, like closer to the mass air meter, or is there some other way? I do want the Greddy BOV to vent back into the intake.

Might have to rig something up....
I wanna know what you guys are doing though.

Thanks in advance.
Since you already bought the greddy universal BOV, all you need is this thing sold on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...clipse+adapter

For those who havent bought their type-S yet, the greddy 95-99 eclipse kit comes with something like the link above plus a cap to allow you to blow off atmospherically (easy to rig up your own) plus the greddy type-S.

PM me if you need help.

Last edited by Coolguy949; Apr 9, 2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Greddy and it does drop RPMs if I go from boost to clutch in..ie:getting caught at a light.

Vents to the atmosphere and do not have any problems with full boost or gear changes.

Just don't worry about it anymore.

I do know of someone that has the BOV recirculating and there evo stalls all the time...don't know if that is the fix either.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

IF it still does it when it recirculates that means the BOV isnt adjusted properly.

Quick Reply: Regards Bov to Air