Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

just removing my heat sheild

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry just removing my heat sheild

Okay, it's a holiday here today so after my half day, I got home and decided to take a look at my manifold (for any evidence of anti-lag thingys, related to another thread).

So, bolt on the left came off fine, bolt on the right came off fine. But when I got to the middle one, it stuck like a b1tch. So a quick squirt of WD-40 and tried again... to moved a little then it snapped... Right below the head.

Last time I took this off to do my O2 housing, the bolt came off eventually, but the thread was pretty much stripped and I had to re-tap the hole. I thought Mitsu had cocked up the tapping or a messed up tapping tool or whatever and left it at that. This time it looks like the bols had actually fused together with the manifold.

Anyone had this problem? Sorry for the crappy pic and everything. It was taken after I put everything back and you can see the shiny bit where the bolt broke off.

Anyway, I'm taking it to our workshop tomorrow to have it drilled out and cleaned out. Will try some high temp anti-sieze as well...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who cares? its just the heat shield. it won't go anywhere withthe 2 outside bolts in place.

where is that oil line going in the pic? or is it coolant?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
That's the antilag system on all non-USDM Evos. I had the anti-lag on my TME disabled to pass emissions
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Mine came right off. No WD-40 needed.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

I think the guys at the Mitsubishi in Japan probably put anti-sieze on it at the factory. When I removed it to install the O2, I didn't reapply and of the stuff.

Anyway, I know it's only a heat shield, but it's just too annoying to see it. Anyway I'll drill it out, probably re-coil and reinstall with the bolt with some copaslip or something...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nrcooled
That's the antilag system on all non-USDM Evos. I had the anti-lag on my TME disabled to pass emissions
Holy ****!!! I have antilag!?!?!
Anywhere I can find out how it works? In fact, how do I find out if it works on my car??

Thanks for the heads up!!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
Holy ****!!! I have antilag!?!?!
Anywhere I can find out how it works? In fact, how do I find out if it works on my car??

Thanks for the heads up!!
For a basic explanation the tube pulls cool air into the manifold and shoots it into the turbo basically giving the effect of anti-lag without having to dump fuel into the mani/turbo to get the same effect.

I found a site that gave much more detail on the setup. I will see if I can track it down.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

You think you could have messed something up when you had Mitsu re-tap that thread? Sound like there has been something wrong with the bolt/thread for a while. I have had no problems with my bolts on both my EVO's.

Just don't tighten the bolts that much. They just need to be snug.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
You think you could have messed something up when you had Mitsu re-tap that thread? Sound like there has been something wrong with the bolt/thread for a while. I have had no problems with my bolts on both my EVO's.

Just don't tighten the bolts that much. They just need to be snug.
The thread seemed fine when tapped. After tapping, I tried a number of bolts and they were totally fine, nice and easy turning. It was a normal tappig job but it was a little odd 'cos it appeared that the thread that was stripped off the bolt seemed to be fused to the threaded hole. I've had no problem with any other holes but this one.

I seriously think it's a seizure problem. But very odd. I think it's just my bad for not putting on the right grease for a bolt in such a hot location...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

I've never greased any heatsheild bolts on either EVO and had removed the heatsheilds countless times with absolutly no problems at any time. I don't know if any grease will help you in such a location.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nrcooled
For a basic explanation the tube pulls cool air into the manifold and shoots it into the turbo basically giving the effect of anti-lag without having to dump fuel into the mani/turbo to get the same effect.

I found a site that gave much more detail on the setup. I will see if I can track it down.
Ahh... thanks dude.

I run an ECU by Ralliart and they go on about "regulation value of the exhaust gas temperature which is decided from durability of the turbocharger and the like efficiency improvement in transient of the actual car is actualized" which could be something to do with the control of this anti-lag stuff.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:45 AM
Former Vendor

is that the egr system or anti-lag.. i say egr..
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think there was anything wrong other than not using anti-seize. The manifold goes through huge heat cycling from sitting over night and running and that will definitely increase the likely hood of gaulding threads with out a high temp lubricant.

Easy out it and retap it. Maybe see if you can find some stainless bolts and use anti-seize liberally.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
I've never greased any heatsheild bolts on either EVO and had removed the heatsheilds countless times with absolutly no problems at any time. I don't know if any grease will help you in such a location.
Well, Copaslip works up to about 700degC. And Loctite C5-A (basically, Loctite anti-seize) works to about 980degC. I've got tubes of the stuff at work, but never thought of using it on my car... duh... I think another thing is that I haven't touched this bolt for like 2 years so anything could have happened...

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...SeizeBroch.pdf

However, when I get the bolt out, I'll investigate further.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55

anti lag you noobie

Quick Reply: just removing my heat sheild