Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just installed Vishniu Stage O Mods!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2003, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed Vishniu Stage O Mods!

Just installed Vishnus first mods for Evo on my car. HP is up 16% from baseline stock on my particular car. Since I'm in Calif. I am using 91 octane. Major HP increase is evident from 4800 rpm up to red line. HP is up slightly from about 3500 to 4800 too.
Mods consisted of cat. back exhaust and tuned XEDE piggy back.
The car feels much better and more like it should now - pulling strongly to 7000; it does not feel like it drops off like it did before.

BTW mine is the silver one shown on the dyno on Shivs web site. I think mine was about the 6th to be base-line dyno tested a while back.

Looking forward to more mods; will post them as they take place.

I wish you all could have been there watching Shiv tune the XEDE on the dyno. Can't tell you much (I'll let Shiv do that) but there will be some interesting things come out about upgrade path, the factory ECU and intelligent mods for the Evo VIII in due time!
Old Apr 8, 2003, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'm interested in seeing an Evo NOT from the West Coast with 93/94 Octane get tested on shiv's dyno
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:37 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did he tune with 93/94 octane? I'm not interested in 91 and neither is the majority of evo owner.

Why cat back? I like my quiet exhaust. I rather do catless with downpipe with catback untouched. I feel catback is not restirctive till about 325hp. Yeah probably gain 8-10 WHP but not worth the noise and price.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Mine was also tested with 93 octane at the end of the same dyno work. I had to go to a meeting with clients so there was not a lot of time to fool with the XEDE on the dyno using 93 octane before I had to leave. The 91 octane map was programmed back into the XEDE when I left so I have not really yet driven with 93 octane and the proper map in the XEDE. Shiv has done lots of 93 octane tuning on his Evo, so I'll let him comment when/if he sees this post on the effects of 93 octane.
Noise level with Vishnu cat back is not really bad at all.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Daveyd
I'm interested in seeing an Evo NOT from the West Coast with 93/94 Octane get tested on shiv's dyno
I second that.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

how much $$$$$
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

I just talked with Brett at Vishnu earlier tonight, and he mentioned the XEDE was ready to go for the EVO VIII. He also mentioned that the cat-back and XEDE was worth about 30whp on the dyno. Sounds like the XEDE unit and the catback exhaust are $795 each with stage 0 kit to be released as a package?

BTW- Thanks tuner for helping cut the way through the jungle on this one. Brett mentioned that the 93 octane program would be available. My hats off to Shiv and the rest of the Vishnu team for getting this hammered-out so quickly. We will be interested to see the future upgrade path as things progress.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, I hear all this about tuning for 91 and tuning for 93/94, but poor 'ole me has 92 in Washington . Hopefully all octanes will be tuned for eventually.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Great info tuner. Curious if you have dyno graphs... Also, did Shiv say whether XEDE can be user-changed to switch between running 91 and 94 octane (i.e. in case us Californians want to run 91 for normal driving, but use 94 for track days) programs? Or is it set up at Vishnu for just one octane and must be kept that way unless you get it reflashed by them? THAT would be the bomb...
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Umm did I miss dyno #'s? What are the dyno results from base to stage 0?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Heff, I know you asked tuner, but I will tell you what Brett @ Vishnu told me today.

During my discussion with Brett it sounded like you could choose from various programs and download them remotely. According to Brett there is a $100 upcharge for full user tuning capability. This is for the customer that wants to custom-build their own map.

Personally having access to several pre-built maps like valet, 91 octane, 93 octane which have been tailored on the dyno makes a lot of sense. If its anything like the WRX version it looks like there is even a transparent map that takes you back to stock parameters. I did not get the impression that the ECU had to be sent in for "flashing".

tuner?
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Great info, thanks! Yeah, it'd be great to be able to dump in a little 100 octane (or toluene 114 octane ) and run the 350 HP program on demand....
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evilution
Umm did I miss dyno #'s? What are the dyno results from base to stage 0?
Bob's stock EVO dyno'd at 188-190 wheel hp (which, btw, is the strongest we've seen for a regular production EVO). With the Stage Zero, the car made 214-216 wheel hp on 91 octane gas. Pretty much spot on with the import EVO VII we tested a while back, running on the same gas.

Also, these gains were done without raising the boost or dramatically leaning out the air/fuel mixtures--- both of which have proven to be futile on the gas we get in CA (and CO, AZ, etc,.) I'll post dyno graphs, boost and AFR charts tomorrow.

Cheers,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Apr 9, 2003 at 02:38 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

$795 each seems pretty steep. $1590?? Is that correct Shiv?
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Why the XEDE piggyback and not a reflashed ECU like the WRX Stage Zero package? Not that I'm complaining-- as I understand it, the XEDE offers more flexibility (i.e. to run different octane maps, valet setting, etc.) than the reflash, just curious.

Also, is the XEDE easily removable for heh, warranty work?

Last edited by theheff; Apr 9, 2003 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Just installed Vishniu Stage O Mods!