Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stay stock plugs or go 1 or 2 step colder?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gap size. I noticed when I bought my evo it was missfiring and the gapping was way wrong I thought. What do you use Warr?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tonz of fun
What gap size. I noticed when I bought my evo it was missfiring and the gapping was way wrong I thought. What do you use Warr?
I believe the man said:

you need to turn that boost down to 22 max, and then get some NGK BPR7ES gapped to .026.

Now how about the whole iridium vs copper debate?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No debate on Iridium vs Copper really. The Iridiums can't be regapped easily (not recommended at all, but some people can do it), but they will last longer and cost more. Coppers will last less time, can be regapped easily, and cost very little. I prefer copper due to all my racing with alky and race fuel, because when they foul, I just put in a new set. I keep boxes full of spares handy.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Schuyler
I believe the man said:

Now how about the whole iridium vs copper debate?

Sorry I have A.D.D, cant focus thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No debate on Iridium vs Copper really. The Iridiums can't be regapped easily (not recommended at all, but some people can do it), but they will last longer and cost more. Coppers will last less time, can be regapped easily, and cost very little. I prefer copper due to all my racing with alky and race fuel, because when they foul, I just put in a new set. I keep boxes full of spares handy.
Well said. I'm running A stock in Solo2 so I don't plan any engine mods until I feel like upping the competition. Copper sounds like as good an idea as any to me. Gotta love the price.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

not too take over the thread but why 22psi max. what's wrong with 23-24on a daily driver? espescially up here in this this a$$ air
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

He's in Ohio below 1000', so he shouldn't be over 22psi unless he's tuned rich on purpose with less timing.

Up here, you can run 23-24psi daily AS SEEN ON YOUR BOOST GAUGE, but not 23-24psi of Manifold Absolute Pressure, which is your true boost level.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokey
not too take over the thread but why 22psi max. what's wrong with 23-24on a daily driver? espescially up here in this this a$$ air
I'm no expert in this, but the gearhead in me tells me you're gonna get the responses following:

1) The street racer: D00d it's mad tyte fo sho to run dat bizzatch at 24 yo.
2) Noob: What's a PSI???!!!??
3) Warrtalon: Please run it at > 24 psi and let me know when you need a new turbo

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

so how do you know the difference between guage boost and ACTUAL boost??

thanks for the answers

schuyler- that was a pretty accurate guess....and funny
Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

so how do you know the difference between guage boost and ACTUAL boost??
By using a MAP sensor to log your boost. Our mechanical boost gauges show us false boost, because the atmospheric pressure up here is only like 12.5 instead of 14.5 or something like that. When you read boost with a MAP sensor, that gives you the actual boost the manifold is seeing. When Al tunes, he attaches a MAP sensor and logs your ACTUAL BOOST, which is good, because then you know exactly what you have regardless of what your boost gauge says. Up here, my gauge reads about 4psi high.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

so in reality we are running less boost up here even though our guages show more.

And if we dropped the car to see leavel (i.e. trip to vegas) would you be okay at leaving the boost where it is or would you drop it back to 22psi or less.

Also....since the topic is actually about plugs. is it okay to run 7eix's up here?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

BR7ES. I run 22psi daily 28psi race gas 0 problems. I gap mine 25-26
Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
By using a MAP sensor to log your boost. Our mechanical boost gauges show us false boost, because the atmospheric pressure up here is only like 12.5 instead of 14.5 or something like that. When you read boost with a MAP sensor, that gives you the actual boost the manifold is seeing. When Al tunes, he attaches a MAP sensor and logs your ACTUAL BOOST, which is good, because then you know exactly what you have regardless of what your boost gauge says. Up here, my gauge reads about 4psi high.

Hey your qoute says 1575 and you can have 300 whp email how warr.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tonz of fun
Hey your qoute says 1575 and you can have 300 whp email how warr.
Hope you have your flame suit on.

(you may want to check out the link in his sig - here it is: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...08&postcount=1 )

Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

so in reality we are running less boost up here even though our guages show more.

And if we dropped the car to see leavel (i.e. trip to vegas) would you be okay at leaving the boost where it is or would you drop it back to 22psi or less.

Also....since the topic is actually about plugs. is it okay to run 7eix's up here?
Yes, you're actually running less boost than you think, but if you set it where your boost gauge read 21psi, you'd actually be running around with far less boost than is optimum, so people usually say, "I'm running 24 psi no problem" at altitude, but they are only really running 21psi or so.

If you went to sea level, you'd have to turn you boost down several psi.

Yes, BPR7EIX is good if you don't use race gas or mess with your boost, because you don't want to pay for those expensive suckers more than once per couple of years.

Quick Reply: Stay stock plugs or go 1 or 2 step colder?