Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Flowmasters on a evo, anyone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenty of domestics have flowmasters, mustangs especially. I work at the drag strip at the local track, and I don't see many Borla on many cars at all. I like Borla and magnaflow. I just want something that sounds a little deeper and meaner than the typical evo exhaust
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:12 PM

This is from their website

The Flowmaster Advantage

Flowmaster vs. "straight-through" muffler designs

First you need to understand the technology of a "straight-through" muffler design. "Straight-through" muffler designs utilize a packing material wrapped around a piece of perforated tubing to absorb sound as its traveling through the muffler. This internal tubing is generally reduced as it enters the inlet of the muffler to help achieve a further reduction of sound as its exiting the muffler, smaller hole, less sound. At the same time this creates a further restriction for hot exhaust gases traveling through the mufflers.

Why should I buy a Flowmaster?

Since Flowmaster mufflers use sound energy cancellation technology, you don't have to worry about "packing material" deteriorating and getting louder after as little as a few months.
The interior case volume of the inside of a Flowmaster muffler is far superior to that of a "straight-pipe" or "straight-through" muffler design. Imagine filling a "straight-pipe" or "straight-through" muffler with water vs. filling a Flowmaster muffler with water. Which one do think would hold substantially more volume?
The deflector in a Flowmaster muffler acts as a one way check valve eliminating reversion back to the engine and creates a low pressure area to help scavenge the exhaust.
Flowmasters unique style of H-Chamber designs help control interior resonance inside the cab area of your vehicles. "Straight-through" muffler designs cannot.
Flowmasters use fully welded construction for added strength and durability to last even when installed on high horsepower engines.
Flowmaster mufflers are made in the U.S.A.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

^I find that a little difficult to swallow. They make too many generalizations there, assuming that all straight through mufflers are "restrictive." I guarantee if you look through any of the big name mufflers, they have the same size through the muffler, that they do through the rest of the exhaust system.

With their "baffling" system there has to be a reduction in exhaust gas speed, thereby increasing backpressure. Volume doesn't necessarily dictate flow. The above is just an advertising tactic trying to justify an sub-par muffler system.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by forbidden color
I think all of you who's laughing at the exhaust have obviously never tried it yourself.

Epecially FLUID 1, who's obviously making annoying and unwanted comments.

now, "Carry on" with more of your annoying comments.
No tears, Junior, your day is no doubt coming.

I corrected two misinformed people, that's all. I believe you would agree that there have been TBE's on EVO's that have produced a 30awhp gain on a dyno? Let's keep your answer in tune with what you want, talk relevant to this topic. Regards.

Last edited by Fluid1; Apr 11, 2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cobra2evo
Plenty of domestics have flowmasters, mustangs especially. I work at the drag strip at the local track, and I don't see many Borla on many cars at all. I like Borla and magnaflow. I just want something that sounds a little deeper and meaner than the typical evo exhaust
Not every manufacturer is going to spend the same amount of R&D on the same product for every application. They have departments of associates who are paid to figure out the best balance on the bell curve for profit. If they are hypothesizing that they will sell more of a certain product to one make of vehicle, then they will no doubt spend more time and money on R&D.
That being said, my old roommate Charlie had a Borla exhaust and a Z06 intake on his LS1 engine is his Z28 camaro, and it was very nice. He had that, subframe connectors, a short shifter and a UFSTB, and ran 12.2's. Not too shabby.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by forbidden color
I guess that means you don't like Buschur Racing exhaust because it's made in america using an American Muffler Company's product? (magnaflow)

YES...
BINGO!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Fluid1
No tears, Junior, your day is no doubt coming.

I corrected two misinformed people, that's all. I believe you would agree that there have been TBE's on EVO's that have produced a 30awhp gain on a dyno? Let's keep your answer in tune with what you want, talk relevant to this topic. Regards.
I don't think I'm junior to you and "your day is no doubt coming" comment is obviously a self directed reflection.

I don't think you corrected nothing. There was already a shootout for the exhausts (12) and of course greddy TI made the most power.

I've made more than 30 whp with a custom TBE with modified magnaflow exhaust.

The key is not the brand, but the design. Straighter pipe, no cat, straighter through muffler design without the louver. That's been the key for the longest time for the FI cars. Obviously sound is determined by sometimes the pre-resonator, the packing material of the muffler and the construction of the muffler and others.

But once you get to the N/A cars, I think it's a lot different.

But I just didn't understand why you would open your mouth and blur out things without explaning yourself, where without a doubt give you no credibility.

That was my point to you.

Here is something that may help you out.

Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

buscher exhust look ugly on an evo