Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is this engine knock? (video)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this engine knock? (video)

So I get in my car tonight to go get dinner. Start the car up nothing unusual go inside for 2 mins to grab my ID and money. When I come back outside to the garage I hear a strange sound coming from my engine bay. As I get closer to my car I hear what sounds to me to be engine knock. Now I’ve never actually heard an engine knocking but from other peoples descriptions that I’ve heard this to me sounds like engine knock.

Will someone who has heard an engine knocking please confirm?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...F09DD1FE3F.htm
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Dam that does not sound good. Sounds like rod knock to me but i might be wrong.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

wow!! Sounds like a dissel truck.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:57 PM

Yeah it does, it friggin sucks. Not sure what I’m gonna do but I need to get my car back on the road asap I start a new job April 24th
Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like piston slap...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fst4door
Yeah it does, it friggin sucks. Not sure what I’m gonna do but I need to get my car back on the road asap I start a new job April 24th
I know that a$$. I can spot it a mile away. Say hello to vida's a$4 hehe.

God I love her a$$.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
I know that a$$. I can spot it a mile away. Say hello to vida's a$4 hehe.

God I love her a$$.
Ok I'll take a moment to give praise to Vida’s a$$ after all it is the 8th wonder of the world.

Now back on topic.

How detrimental is piston slap, rod knock etc. to an engine? I obviously know I can not drive the car until I get the issue resolved. What I don’t know is how to resolve the issue at hand. Will need to completely rebuild the engine or what, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ok I'll take a moment to give praise to Vida’s a$$ after all it is the 8th wonder of the world.

Now back on topic.

How detrimental is piston slap, rod knock etc. to an engine? I obviously know I can not drive the car until I get the issue resolved. What I don’t know is how to resolve the issue at hand. Will need to completely rebuild the engine or what, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Yes it is. I love that a$$.

Ayways to your questions. Those symptoms are very detrimental to an engine. Rod knock means that you blew a rod bearing either you cracked it or shattered it.

Piston slap as far as I am concerned is when the piston is slapping/tapping against a valve. Kinda like how you would tap vidas a$$ hehe.

If it is a rod knock(I cant see the movie cause I am at work) then a engine rebuild is a must. If its a piston slap then you may be able to get away with replacing that piston and the valve that it hit or is hitting, however, in that issue more of your valvetrain components may be damaged as well.

However, no one can adequately diagnose the precise problem till a tear down is done.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
Yes it is. I love that a$$.

Ayways to your questions. Those symptoms are very detrimental to an engine. Rod knock means that you blew a rod bearing either you cracked it or shattered it.

Piston slap as far as I am concerned is when the piston is slapping/tapping against a valve. Kinda like how you would tap vidas a$$ hehe.

If it is a rod knock(I cant see the movie cause I am at work) then a engine rebuild is a must. If its a piston slap then you may be able to get away with replacing that piston and the valve that it hit or is hitting, however, in that issue more of your valvetrain components may be damaged as well.

However, no one can adequately diagnose the precise problem till a tear down is done.
That’s kind of what I thought . I will be towing my car to either the dealership or local performance shop for the tear down. Damn this is going to be very expensive isn’t it?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

That’s kind of what I thought . I will be towing my car to either the dealership or local performance shop for the tear down. Damn this is going to be very expensive isn’t it?
Yes it is very expensive. I guess its all relative cause what may be expensive to me may be cheap to you. A tear down of that magnitude depending on where you and what they charge can range from 500-2000bucks. Again I am just estimating here.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:34 AM

SKILMATIC thanks for all your input I guess I got some phone calls to make tomorrow. Yes, I agree with you 500 - 2000 just for the tear down is expensive plus all new parts and labor. This is not something I ever wanted to do but I may need to find a shop to finance all my parts labor I think Vividracing offers financing plus their local.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

SKILMATIC thanks for all your input I guess I got some phone calls to make tomorrow. Yes, I agree with you 500 - 2000 just for the tear down is expensive plus all new parts and labor. This is not something I ever wanted to do but I may need to find a shop to finance all my parts labor I think Vividracing offers financing plus their local.
Your welcome. However, before you do the tewardown I would get a professionals opinion on what it sounds like and if it sounds like it needs to be torn down. Remember, I cant see or hear the vid. So I am going by the assumption that its indeed a rod knock.

Also if vivid doesnt do it I know buschur offers financing too. Its up to you. good luck though
Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

That sucker sounds badddd.....
Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

that is def. a spun bearing no doubt about it. time for a rebuild and do not run the car even at idle you can trash teh head an turbo if you do

Last edited by EMonz57; Apr 14, 2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

vida guerra.. mmmmm

oh yea and that sucks about the car too.