Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driving my 900 WHP Evo 8 - Round 2

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving my 900 WHP Evo 8 - Round 2

I am writing this stuff as everywhere I go fellow evo owners ask me

"Al, what is it like to drive your Evo?"

I have just spent an amazing week At Buschur Racing and wanted to share some impressions

First of all thanks to Dan Buschur who really put his heart and soul into getting my car back together after I specified some fairly radical changes since my last visit to Bushur back in February. Those who know the parts and parts building side of Buschur may not know that Dan Buschur runs a repair and instalation center at Buschur. Dan is without a doubt the most skilled and fastest DSM mechanic I have ever had the pleasure to observe in action and I have seen a lot. It is really amazing to be there at Buschur over a few days and watch the cars come and go from all over the USA. It really amazes me how fast Dan is at working on these cars and the amazing quality of his work.

If you love Evos and DSM's just visiting Buschur is like going to Disney World it is exciting to see that many evos being modified at one time. Also exciting is watching the constant innovation and improvemenmt of the parts that Buschur sells. For example while I was there they were just releasing a newly re-deigned mini battery kit which has a built in holder for a new coil on plug ignition they developed.

Onto my car, I have been working on the small details like getting the radiator fan to turn on with the aem, two step, etc. and taking little road trips about town to help break in the new engine and clutch. (ON the engine side I have had the engine de-stroked to an unspecified displacemement and compression for a higher rpms power band).

What is just as amazing as the 900 plus whp this beast prodces on the dyno is how driveable and streetable the car remains. I was driving the car all over town to do errands - picking up sodas and going to the post office.

There is this strech out of town which runs dead razor straight for about 3 miles. Over the past 3 days I have gone down that strip at least two times a day and each time my heart stops as I feel this turbo kick in. With the new smaller engine I am reaching full boost at 5800 rpms and the car is pulling hard to 10,000 rpms

When you nail it the interesting thing about the GT42R is how fast it boosts from the point from where it starts to spool till full boost and then how fast the engine revs in response

The car just lays two streaks of rubber down the road in 3rd and accelerates so hard your head feels like it wants to roll off your neck

The most positive aspect of the testing was dialing in the two step rev limiter in the AEM and then blasting off the line in a explosion of AWD slick shreading insanity accross the Buschur parking lot

I was very concerned with the huge GT42R and its ability to "get off the line" - large turbos are typically very difficult to build sufficient boost in 1st gear - I was shocked as the big moma turbo actually delivers the goods on my less than 2.0 L 4 banger with ease

Also - the streetability was not bad

Those seeking mega top end would find this turbo a bit laggy but not a disaster for driving around town

I have a few more small items to address and then its off to the track to put the rubber to the road

Thanks again to Dan and David Buschur for all your help !

Last edited by DynoFlash; Apr 13, 2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Seems like fun, now goto the track.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats Al...cant wait to see it in action at the shootout
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Al - add an 'L' to "FAIRY radical changes". It'll make some disturbing images disappear from my head.

It seems like you've got a new setup every month. Have you ever stopped and totalled up what you've put into that beast?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:02 PM

nice read, good excuse to go visit my family in Ohio, and work my way to Buschur.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

nice how many 900whp evos does that make now?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Less than 2L??? what block do you have in there now, Al, or are you refering to the 3cc less than 2L of the stock displacement? Sick numbers though, post a video.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EJEvo
Al - add an 'L' to "FAIRY radical changes". It'll make some disturbing images disappear from my head.

It seems like you've got a new setup every month. Have you ever stopped and totalled up what you've put into that beast?
Ever since I first purchased my 2002 WRX back in spring of 2001 I have been almost totally adsorbed with a mission to seek the ultimate expression of the AWD Turbo Machine

I really do not think about what the car costs me or what other sacrifices i have to make in order to fund the car's needs. All i really think about is finding a way to make the car faster and better. I spend literally every moment I am not working as a tuner figuring how and what to do to my Evo next.

I am very blessed to have many loyal and supportive sponsiors who have assisted and supported my adventure and without whom this journey would not have been possible
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, Thats pretty Nuts man, congrats, makes me wanna go the 42r route.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

car sounds like a beast Al. congrats on the 900whp and good luck to you this 06 season. i know alot of us here in NC are hoping your still considering on moving down here.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moto17
Less than 2L??? what block do you have in there now, Al, or are you refering to the 3cc less than 2L of the stock displacement? Sick numbers though, post a video.
+1 on the displacement Q.

++1 on a video lets see this thing in action PLEASE id give my left ***.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:41 PM
Account Disabled

I have a video file I can email to anyone who thinks they can figure out how to play it

Jarrod at Buschur is going to psot it up on Monday

It laid 4 rubber strips of molten rubber from one side of the Buschur parking lot to the other - the launching is very hard
Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hit track soon!!
Old Apr 14, 2006, 05:29 AM

Great stuff......
Good luck this year...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 08:23 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Hit track soon!!

Yes, I will prob reach the track at some point

For now I am just really pleased to own a machine that can drive on the road, which is fully registered and insured and which can prob lay waste to just about any road going car I would encounter. Its a real thrill to have your very own roller coaster ride you can drive any time any where.

I think I have finally reached the point where the power level and the acceleration are extreme enough that I will prob remain satisfied and it wont start to feel like its slow after a few weeks (that is what happened at all the other stages).

Quick Reply: Driving my 900 WHP Evo 8 - Round 2