Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP 3071 whp

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=129954

A 3071 could get you very close, but I don't see how you're going to accomplish getting anywhere near that 362 whp without better cams.

l8r)
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an atp3071 that I just sold. It made decent power (no dyno numbers, just butt dyno), and held 1.6 bar to redline. It is an easy kit to install, but in my opinion it is just not worth it. The lag is noticable, and no too too bad, but still there. Full boost in third was around 4800 rpm.

My suggestion is rethink your goals, and go from there. The only upside of the atp kit, is the cost. For 2200 bucks, you basically get a new turbo, external wastegate, downpipe, and licp.

Good luck!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Hey sqplancer, what system was used to tune the car?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
Hey sqplancer, what system was used to tune the car?
I used a utec with the tuner pro.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomtown
Target is 362 whp on a Dynodynamics in shootout mode. A stock turbo will not make a bees dick over 288 whp in shootout mode on a Dynodynamics (Im talking 93 octane, no alcohol and no rattles or pings). Im currently making around 270whp on that dyno.

What about surge on the E9 20G on a 2.0 litre? I can live with lag but I don't think I can live with the car surging midcorner on part throttle. Is the E9 20G really surge free?

Shootout mode is flywheel estimate number. I was at over 400 with stocker with cams and exhaust in shootout mode on Dynodynamic. Now im closer too 600
Im now running Full-Race 3037r spec turbo and there mani. Quick spool and gobs of power.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
If shootout mode is a flywheel estimate setting, then the statement above which claims the stock turbo incapable of making over 288whp in that mode is false.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well before you make any decisions you have to know that most people who said Vishnu above are Vishnu customers to the bone. With that being said they are not going to be very accurate and first thing they will say is Vishnu. You know how it goes. Plus the Vishnu kit adapter has a very small thin flange that can brake and crack. I can’t see that little thing holding the weight of the turbo and not cracking on the long run or the short run.

Now reaching 362 on DD with ATP 3071 is a bit off because I speak from experience. I had the kit on my car for a year and I raced my car with it. It was reliable and it did hold my hard driving on Watkins Glen… It’s designed for reliability and look first before performance. The turbo is always about 20WHP shy of the standard Garret side which is I believe four bolts.

However it is $2000 shy from the Vishnu kit and with $2000 you can get a stroker… See where I am coming from here? The question is would you justify $2000 for ~20WHP? Some people do. I don’t want to hear anyone say anything about their reliability because it was very tough kit. Easy to bolt and ready to go.

It’s tough to make a choice because a lot of money is involved and I am not sure how much money you want to spend. If I were you I would get a TME or EVO9 turbo and call it a day. After all everything has limits and EVOs do to. Lately on this site we have seen many engine fail, turbo shafts blowing etc etc etc. I just believe our little EVO has a limit and after few years we started to see that a 400WHP dyno queen won’t be doing it for a long time.

Good luck and pm me with questions.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Well before you make any decisions you have to know that most people who said Vishnu above are Vishnu customers to the bone. With that being said they are not going to be very accurate and first thing they will say is Vishnu. You know how it goes. Plus the Vishnu kit adapter has a very small thin flange that can brake and crack. I can’t see that little thing holding the weight of the turbo and not cracking on the long run or the short run..
Please get your facts straight. Better yet, support your allegations with facts instead of running your fingers wantonly across your keyboard.

I run mostly AMS parts on my car. However AMS, or even Full-Race isn't an option if you want to retain the factory exhaust manifold.

More facts:

At $4195, the Vishnu kit includes:
- Garret GT Turbocharger System
- Upgraded Fuel Injectors
- Signature Series 3-inch Down-Pipe
- Lower intercooler pipe
- Tial wastegate
- Slimline 12" radiator fan

At $2399, the ATP kit includes:
- Garrett Prototype GT Ball Bearing turbo w/ATP Proprietary Housing
- Steel braided lines and fittings for oil/coolant connections
- Tial 38mm External Wastegate
- Stainless wastegate discharge tube with downpipe re-route
- Silicone connectors and clamps
- 3.0" Stainless steel downpipe w/stainless O2 housing

Notice that upgraded injectors are missing from the ATP kit. It should also be noted that the Vishnu kit includes standard Garrett turbos, not the proprietary turbos that come with the ATP kit. Last, but not least, XEDE maps are available for the Vishnu stage 2 setup, which can make tuning a lot easier, since you'll already have a decent baseline to start from. Essentially ATP gives you a piece of the puzzle, whereas the Vishnu stage 2 is part of a complete solution. It has also been well documented that the ATP kit spools late and makes less power than other, similarly equipped Evos. Now is all this worth the extra $1300 or so? That's a question everyone will have to answer for themselves.

Lastly, $2000 for a stroker? C'mon, man. Sure, around $1995 for the parts ... but where are you going to find a skilled engine builder that will put it all together for $5?

An Evo IX turbo might fit the bill, but I haven't seen any dyno charts of an Evo IX turbo on a VIII - and, IMO, a 20g-9 doesn't count, nor would I be too enthused about putting one on my car...

l8r)
Old Apr 18, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
If shootout mode is a flywheel estimate setting, then the statement above which claims the stock turbo incapable of making over 288whp in that mode is false.

correct.. I always have Andrew at dyno4mance run a shootout mode after my WHP reading. Again shoot out mode isnt seeing the wheel hp, but an estimate of flywheel. So its fun to always that higher hp number to look at.

300 +/- (WHP) 400 +/- (BHP) *DynoDynamic* is very easliy do'able on stock turbo I sat at 315'ish (on 110 octane) for a year b4 my build up.

*Im a vishnu customer and fan but I went with full race because I wanted to try something diffrent and I was one of the 1st evo's to buy the kit so being a flagship "so to speak" I got a good deal from them.

I can agree with Az3ar on 2000 for ruffly 20whp is nuts but also I agree with Ludikraut hinting at you get what you pay for.

Now you seem to be confident in your tuning or whom ever does it. If you cant justify the extra money on an AMS or Vishnu kit then try out the atp. You have expressed your not really intrested in a smaller 20g, or TME turbo so dont waste your time on them, remember driven correctly the larger 30r's can be almost laggless.

Last edited by EidolaDream; Apr 18, 2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Please get your facts straight. Better yet, support your allegations with facts instead of running your fingers wantonly across your keyboard.

I run mostly AMS parts on my car. However AMS, or even Full-Race isn't an option if you want to retain the factory exhaust manifold.

More facts:

At $4195, the Vishnu kit includes:
- Garret GT Turbocharger System
- Upgraded Fuel Injectors
- Signature Series 3-inch Down-Pipe
- Lower intercooler pipe
- Tial wastegate
- Slimline 12" radiator fan

At $2399, the ATP kit includes:
- Garrett Prototype GT Ball Bearing turbo w/ATP Proprietary Housing
- Steel braided lines and fittings for oil/coolant connections
- Tial 38mm External Wastegate
- Stainless wastegate discharge tube with downpipe re-route
- Silicone connectors and clamps
- 3.0" Stainless steel downpipe w/stainless O2 housing

Notice that upgraded injectors are missing from the ATP kit. It should also be noted that the Vishnu kit includes standard Garrett turbos, not the proprietary turbos that come with the ATP kit. Last, but not least, XEDE maps are available for the Vishnu stage 2 setup, which can make tuning a lot easier, since you'll already have a decent baseline to start from. Essentially ATP gives you a piece of the puzzle, whereas the Vishnu stage 2 is part of a complete solution. It has also been well documented that the ATP kit spools late and makes less power than other, similarly equipped Evos. Now is all this worth the extra $1300 or so? That's a question everyone will have to answer for themselves.

Lastly, $2000 for a stroker? C'mon, man. Sure, around $1995 for the parts ... but where are you going to find a skilled engine builder that will put it all together for $5?

An Evo IX turbo might fit the bill, but I haven't seen any dyno charts of an Evo IX turbo on a VIII - and, IMO, a 20g-9 doesn't count, nor would I be too enthused about putting one on my car...

l8r)

hmmm it was not even worth it to read your post. I just skimmed through it because you like repeating yourself often.

You have Vishnu tune and you still support Vishnu you are just a Vishnu undercover.

Injectors can be reached for less than $350 so that still does not make the huge difference. You might come up with something like oh slim fan.. No need for it with ATP as there turbo will clear the stock one. For your information the less parts you change on the car the less you have to mess with

Again you are talking about Vishnu tuning. The guy has standalone so why are you trying to sale him Xede or vishnu tuning? Again you prove again and again you are a Vishnu guy.

I can build a stroker in my one door garage in 2 weeks. All I need is to send my block to machine shop which will cost me less than $300... Any other words here?

Yes I pushed it too hard when I said stroker but 2K is a lot of money that needs to have an explanation on where its going.

Last but not least Vishnu kit is nothing crazy. Anyone who has a bit of car knowledge can pc there own kit. You just need a good manifold and everything else is cake.

Now which Vishnu map do you recommend for him?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

let's try to stay on topic here guys....

i'm not really familiar with how the DD compares to dynojet or mustang dyno, but according to other's on here, you can still hit 362 on the stock turbo? so it seems like upgrading to hit your goal is pointless since you don't have to change your turbo.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

You have Vishnu tune and you still support Vishnu you are just a Vishnu undercover.
Again, please get your facts straight ... I am currently running on an AMS flash. Will I run my XEDE again? I'm sure I will, but that depends on a few factors that are OT to this thread.

Again you are talking about Vishnu tuning. The guy has standalone so why are you trying to sale him Xede or vishnu tuning? Again you prove again and again you are a Vishnu guy.
As I said in my post: "Now is all this worth the extra $1300 or so? That's a question everyone will have to answer for themselves." I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, but unlike yourself, I like to back up my statements with numbers and evidence, instead of allegations. I really don't care what kind of agenda you are running, just back it up with evidence instead of making broad, unquantified statements.

I can build a stroker in my one door garage in 2 weeks. All I need is to send my block to machine shop which will cost me less than $300... Any other words here?
Good for you. I, and most of the other Evo owners cannot.

Last but not least Vishnu kit is nothing crazy. Anyone who has a bit of car knowledge can pc there own kit. You just need a good manifold and everything else is cake.
Right, I suppose that's why we see such a plethora of Garret turbo based Evo turbo kits utilizing the stock manifold.

I apologize to the other readers of this thread, but there is enough mis-information and unquantified hype on these forums to begin with. No need to add more.

l8r)
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

^ please enlighten me on what facts I need to show here? I am the one who had ATP kit not you, I am the one who tried it and raced with it not you and I am the one who got it dynoed not you. All you saw was numbers and your tuner reviews nothing less nothing more.

My facts are straight, as I said a standard Garret will make about 15~20 WHP more than ATP that’s all to it.

Furthermore, I am not running any agenda but on the other hand you are an agenda yourself...

Step outside your box for a sec and stop saying Vishnu every 2 seconds.

And please stop with that apologies crap. If you were serious you would not have replied. You are way over your head. Or perhaps you are waiting for a medal of honor from EVOM.

The way you are going to I came from.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:59 AM

362HP…. Don’t you think that is a little bit precise? Is my mate from Oz taking the **** out of you guys?? This thread has given me a good laugh. From where I sit my associates in North America are spoilt with the choices you all have to face in relation to after market parts for your EVO’s. I am buying a swag of gear from BR including the 20G-9-5, Revolvers, BR racing FMIC, intake and the rest. I am even going to move away from Motec, which I have used on my past 2 cars and install an EMS system with maps from David!!!!!
Experiment, its only money and if you don’t hit 326 buy a larger blower.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Again, please get your facts straight ... I am currently running on an AMS flash. Will I run my XEDE again? I'm sure I will, but that depends on a few factors that are OT to this thread.

As I said in my post: "Now is all this worth the extra $1300 or so? That's a question everyone will have to answer for themselves." I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, but unlike yourself, I like to back up my statements with numbers and evidence, instead of allegations. I really don't care what kind of agenda you are running, just back it up with evidence instead of making broad, unquantified statements.

Good for you. I, and most of the other Evo owners cannot.

Right, I suppose that's why we see such a plethora of Garret turbo based Evo turbo kits utilizing the stock manifold.

I apologize to the other readers of this thread, but there is enough mis-information and unquantified hype on these forums to begin with. No need to add more.

l8r)

Yes - pls stop saying Vishnu every 2 seconds

P.S. Vishnu

Quick Reply: ATP 3071 whp