Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My 20G-6-9 = Dead

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are fine just slap it back on... you have a 5 blade turbo now
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well just let me know.

If you end up selling it and need a new maf i have mine that i can trade you plus some $$$$
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Justchil, this may be why you weren't getting quite the power and traps you were expecting this whole time. Your numbers always seemed a bit low, so maybe there was a pre-existing issue...
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:39 AM

I remember you had some issue with shaft play. Was there shaft play and how bad was it? I am getting concerned as I am getting ready to install the 20G-9 and I notice a little side to side wiggle, but nothing that would cause the wheel to come into contact with the internal wall of the turbo.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like something got sucked into the turbo.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:40 AM

Shouldn't turbochargers.com cover this under warranty? They do have a one year warranty.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by kimletrim
Shouldn\'t turbochargers.com cover this under warranty? They do have a one year warranty.

Yeah that is true. If you had some problems with shaft play why didnt you try and return it from the start?
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

It could be the cause of my lower than expected numbers -- I'm not sure.

I doubt they would honor the warranty as BR and TC don't deal with each other anymore. The turbo was to be rebuilt by FP a couple months ago but I've been waiting for the 5 wheel blades to come in.

I didn't want to sit out the entire track season waiting on a new wheel so I took my chances... although I never expected this to happen.

I have no clue how something could have got sucked in.. I drove the car to the track no problems. It failed on my third pass. If one blade broke it would have got sucked in and destroyed them all... I dunno

Last edited by justchil; Apr 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt they would cover a turbo that has been destroyed by a foreign object. Do you think something broke off the compressor wheel, and recirculated through the BOV and back into the cold side? How would this affect the MAF?

EDIT.

Last edited by GPTourer; Apr 17, 2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: compressor instead of turbine
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I don't really see how that would be possible. It's obvious that piece of metal suck in the MAF did not come through the air filter. I doubt a piece that big would have recirulated.. and even then how would it be projected into the maf.

It's almost like it exploded shooting metal pieces OUT of the intake... I really dunno.. I will be taking more stuff apart tonight.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I see what you're saying.. I dunno. My brain is kinda shot -- It's Monday
Old Apr 17, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hey sorry to hear about your car. I would still call Turbochargers.com to see if they can help you out regardless of whether it was bought thru BR. It is still there product. Just an opinion.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah looks like something hit the blades and caused the turbine to shatter...

on the side note, maybe its the camera angle.. but from looking at the compressor housing, your seems to be the EVO 8 compressor housing cover.. the EVO 9 compressor housing should be a lil bigger..

but i maybe wrong..
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I just dont understand how something could have hit the turbo blades unless one of them broke and then it came back around and destroyed them all. Im very **** about things when working on the car -- everything was in pefect shape.

Its definately the EVO9 housing.. it must be the angle. I hope to hear something back from Dave today. I'm already preparing for the worst.. looking for a beater honda to drive so I can save money for another turbo kit if there is no warranty on this one.

I would try to get TC.com to fix it but there is no way I'd put a turbo built by them back on my car.. I also wouldnt feel comfortable selling it.

Last edited by justchil; Apr 18, 2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

i dont see how anything could get past the filter into the intake, the only thing i can think of is something might have dropped down there while taking it apart or putting it back together. im not saying that u are not meticulous in your work, but human error does happen.

on the other hand this is a new turbo and new design that is already obsolete, so maybe it was just crap. like u said b4, the shaft had play in it previous to u running it. so maybe it got worse, hit the housing and broke causing a chain reaction.

Quick Reply: My 20G-6-9 = Dead