Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my clutch went way early when i only had a few mods....so i got a act clutch
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:09 PM

Stock clutch will slip to protect the TC
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

get a new clutch immediatly if it is the problem, trust me you dont want to have to tow it to a shop thinking you will get by for a while
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

get exedy i love it my act ruined my trany at 50,000 miles needed to rebuild it
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
try to adjust the clutch pedal a little lower so that the disc sits close to the flywheel and that way you will prevent slippage of it,after that test your car in 5thgear at 2500rpm and hit WOT and when it hits full boost if your rpms jump without the car geeting moved then its your clutch
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
try to adjust the clutch pedal a little lower so that the disc sits close to the flywheel and that way you will prevent slippage of it,after that test your car in 5thgear at 2500rpm and hit WOT and when it hits full boost if your rpms jump without the car geeting moved then its your clutch
No! Any adjustment to the pedal is only going to adjust the pedal. All you are doing is increasing the freeplay on the M/C rod and shortening the throw at the slave cylinder. You are not making the clutch grab better or last longer. And by testing it to see if it slips you are going to shorten the clutch life even more.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
get exedy i love it my act ruined my trany at 50,000 miles needed to rebuild it
I doubt if your ACT ruined the trans any more than most other clutches. On the other hand, improper adjustment (very common on the EVO) or bad driving will ruin a tranny quickly.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
No! Any adjustment to the pedal is only going to adjust the pedal. All you are doing is increasing the freeplay on the M/C rod and shortening the throw at the slave cylinder. You are not making the clutch grab better or last longer. And by testing it to see if it slips you are going to shorten the clutch life even more.

so how come aftermarket clutches need pedal adjustment?
you need to adjust the pedal a little higher so that the transmision works well!
also if you put a clutch pedal very low it can sometimes make the car roll even if not in gear please explain?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im gona test it in 5th gear tonight to see if it slips
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

a friend of mine installed an exedy twin disc and his car would roll even when it wasnt in gear, we adjusted the clutch pedal and problem solved!
so is it the same when you have your clutch pedal higher maybe its slipping cause its sitting at rest far appart from the flywheel so please act man explain ?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

so how come aftermarket clutches need pedal adjustment?
you need to adjust the pedal a little higher so that the transmision works well!
also if you put a clutch pedal very low it can sometimes make the car roll even if not in gear please explain?
It's pretty simple. The less freeplay the pedal has, the sooner the rod pushes on the piston of the M/C and the farther it will travel the piston so it travels the slave and ultimately the pressure plate fingers farther to release the disc sooner. But the same is not true going the other direction. If you have some freeplay at the m/c rod, any freeplay, there is no force being exerted on the fingers of the pressure plate and it clamps only as hard as the diaphragm spring will clamp onto the disc.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

wait a second what is this about the act clutch ruining trannys
Old Apr 18, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

thanks act man my experience well with my stock clutch is as follows:
why is it that with use my stock clutch would begin slipping and ive adjusted the pedal at a lower point and it would stop slipping this is what ive experience and its true adjusting it wont make it grab harder but it did stop slipping so whats your opinion on this? you talked about going the other direction not true!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
. But the same is not true going the other direction. If you have some freeplay at the m/c rod, any freeplay, there is no force being exerted on the fingers of the pressure plate and it clamps only as hard as the diaphragm spring will clamp onto the disc.
so this is when the clutch slipps if the clutch pedal is to high?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

no doubt actman i dont meen to put you down or anybody but when i ordered my exedy clutch from buscher racing i told the guy what happened to my trany and he said let me guess you had a act clutch that that he heres about that all the time and my friedns bein going to the track for ten years or so and they all tell me act dont last long......

Quick Reply: clutch slipping?