Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch slipping?

Ok, i just went to went to get dinner real quick at work. I was on the road and i had to change lanes bc i had to get to the exit. I hit it in 2nd gear@ 4700 rpms, boost came on, car broke all 4 loose and the clutch slipped real quick.

1st i dont know why i broke all 4 loose bc i dont have a flash and im sure im not putting down insane amounts of tq to the wheels. 2nd the clutch shouldnt be slipping like that. Whats going on???
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How can your clutch be slipping if you broke traction on all 4 wheels?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You definetly did not brake loose all 4 wheels unless maybe the ground was wet. I have more mods then you and I am tuned and running some pretty good numbers and at 4700RPM I can hit 2nd and not spin my wheels. Either your tires are bald, or what you felt was your clutch slip through the power band. I am pretty sure it was your clutch that slipped.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
How can your clutch be slipping if you broke traction on all 4 wheels?
It broke loose and when it hooked, it slipped for a moment, i could smell it also

Originally Posted by MANGOOK
You definetly did not brake loose all 4 wheels unless maybe the ground was wet. I have more mods then you and I am tuned and running some pretty good numbers and at 4700RPM I can hit 2nd and not spin my wheels. Either your tires are bald, or what you felt was your clutch slip through the power band. I am pretty sure it was your clutch that slipped.
Tires still have a good amount of thread left. Even that, how can my clutch slip with my mods?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

When you felt the car "loose traction" did the RPMS just shoot up to redline? Did you ever feel the actual power come on or did you hit it and then just feel your tires break loose as your RPMS went to redline?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Guys are killing clutches all the time with less mods then you. It is how you drive the car sometimes. I had over 25k on my stock clutch with cams and everything as well as 21 passes on the strip and when I changed my clutch I still had life left on it.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

When you felt the car "loose traction" did the RPMS just shoot up to redline? Did you ever feel the actual power come on or did you hit it and then just feel your tires break loose as your RPMS went to redline?
i hit it, the power came on hard and i felt the car brake loose,I could feel the rear tires brake loose, right after the rpm went up for a second then it went back to normal once i shiftet to 3rd, it was so weird!
Guys are killing clutches all the time with less mods then you. It is how you drive the car sometimes. I had over 25k on my stock clutch with cams and everything as well as 21 passes on the strip and when I changed my clutch I still had life left on it.
I can drive very good, this is my 3rd awd car and my 2nd Evo, i had 30k miles on my 03 w/o any problems. Besides it was a WOT pull done quickly not a launch

Last edited by EVIL_EVO_VIII; Apr 18, 2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch can slip stock, it doesn't matter what mods you have.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

It was your clutch slipping. How many miles do you have on your car?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r.m.s.
It was your clutch slipping. How many miles do you have on your car?
It just hit 14k
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it couldnt of been your clutch cause your tires broked loose maybe when they broked loose you decided to press the clutch in and rev it thats maybe how you burned it!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
it couldnt of been your clutch cause your tires broked loose maybe when they broked loose you decided to press the clutch in and rev it thats maybe how you burned it!
All i did was hit it in 2nd gear at 4700k then the car broke loose and i shifted to 3rd at 7k
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

hey man,
scott(ttp) is working on my clutch right now, you are describing what my car felt like when it started slipping. i had 13k on it, car has 14.4 now. i have driven cars to 150k miles and never had a clutch go bad. sorry man, you have had some real bad luck, huh? unfortunately mitsu wont cover this, its a "wearable" item
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SaOrlando
hey man,
scott(ttp) is working on my clutch right now, you are describing what my car felt like when it started slipping. i had 13k on it, car has 14.4 now. i have driven cars to 150k miles and never had a clutch go bad. sorry man, you have had some real bad luck, huh? unfortunately mitsu wont cover this, its a "wearable" item
If thats the case and the clutch goes, ill just get an aftermarket one
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

itll be much more pronounced in the next 200 miles. you can probably drive around a month or so b4 it gets excessively bad.
btw, what dealer did you buy the car? when?

Quick Reply: clutch slipping?