Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO tranny looks BUILT to me!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO tranny looks BUILT to me!!!

1st 2.928 (triple synchro)
2nd 1.950 (Triple synchro)
3rd 1.407 (double synchro)
4th 1.031 (single synchro)
5th .720 (single synchro)

Reverse 3.416 (Double synchro)
Old Apr 10, 2003, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

What do you mean....one of the worst post's I have ever read
Old Apr 10, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
What do you mean....one of the worst post's I have ever read

oh, well I'm a WRX owner that has replaced there tranny because it was junk. It's just a great to see that the EVO tranny on paper already looks much beefyer. One thing I don't have to warry about and can enjoy the car with out feeling that I should be carefull.

After talking with BM tanny here in NJ (DSM tanny build up guys) they told me that they go to double synchro for first gear as a major upgrade to the DSM cars. They feel that type of set up will hold at least 400 wheel hp.

So I guess I'm rejoicing. I think a few WRX owners on this board will understand what my feelings about have a good tranny are coming from.

I hope that makes sense

Eric
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

oh, well I'm a WRX owner that has replaced there tranny because it was junk. It's just a great to see that the EVO tranny on paper already looks much beefyer. One thing I don't have to warry about and can enjoy the car with out feeling that I should be carefull.

After talking with BM tanny here in NJ (DSM tanny build up guys) they told me that they go to double synchro for first gear as a major upgrade to the DSM cars. They feel that type of set up will hold at least 400 wheel hp.

So I guess I'm rejoicing. I think a few WRX owners on this board will understand what my feelings about have a good tranny are coming from.

I hope that makes sense

Eric
Thanks for the clarification......man I thought you were talking another language there for a moment....I guess we will have to start re-programming you...after your Subaru days of talking nonsense
Old Apr 11, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
Thanks for the clarification......man I thought you were talking another language there for a moment....I guess we will have to start re-programming you...after your Subaru days of talking nonsense

Hey the Scoobys are a great car, for the price. I will always have a place in my hart for mine.
Old Apr 12, 2003, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I am kiddin......
Old Apr 13, 2003, 07:59 PM

The only time i've seen people having problems with trannies is doing 6k clutch dumps when drag racing or the like. I've never seen a Subaru nor Mitsu tranny fail under normal driving conditions.

As long as you behave with the tranny, there shouldnt be an issue. Ive never seen a WRC driver do a high rpm clutch dump on any track, be it road course, gravel, or dirt.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:04 PM

Read the tranny failure thread, Limey is only one of a few that have had brand new transmissions put in their car with less than 1000 miles, and he WASN'T doing 6k clutch drops. Even though the tranny sounds built on paper I wouldn't trust it with 400whp any more than the WRX tranny.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by STI4ME
Read the tranny failure thread, Limey is only one of a few that have had brand new transmissions put in their car with less than 1000 miles, and he WASN'T doing 6k clutch drops. Even though the tranny sounds built on paper I wouldn't trust it with 400whp any more than the WRX tranny.
I think the EVO tranny will hold much better then the WRX tanny as fare as abuse.

Eric
Old Apr 15, 2003, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never had a problem with my WRX tranny, I eben drag raced it a few times . I would guess that the EVO's tranny is definitely stronger than the WRX because the WRX tranny was reputedly weak for the 227 hp.... The EVO has 271 hp and I suppose that the tranny was designed for at least that much....
BTW, STI4ME, what do you drive? by your signature I guess you are a STi dreamer for now? Try driving an EVO one day soon... you might decide to get one.....
Old Apr 15, 2003, 01:13 PM

The EVO tranny may hold up better than the WRX tranny, but in my opinion it is far from as solid as the STIs 6-spd. Look at Jun's 600hp monster WRX that uses the Stock STI transmission.

My point is: The EVO has lots of power, and should have a tranny that can handle this. It sounds good, but there have already been incidents of tranny failure, not a good sign. And I just read about some clutches going out at 1500 miles, also not a good thing.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 05:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
The EVO tranny may hold up better than the WRX tranny, but in my opinion it is far from as solid as the STIs 6-spd. Look at Jun's 600hp monster WRX that uses the Stock STI transmission.

My point is: The EVO has lots of power, and should have a tranny that can handle this. It sounds good, but there have already been incidents of tranny failure, not a good sign. And I just read about some clutches going out at 1500 miles, also not a good thing.

And my point is the EVO 5 speed has a worldwide reputation as extremely strong and reliable. There have been a few instances of transmissions DOA & early clutch failure which Mitsubishi service managers quickly diagnosed and replaced the transmissions and clutches. Stuff happens. I keep saying this. .... the EVO and the STI are not related to the WRX. They are in a different zip code of high performance and if you expect the reliability of a Honda Civic DX you are going to be dissapointed.

I welcome your opinion, however, how can you draw a conclusion that the STI 6 speed is far more solid? It might be, but the USDM STI drivetrain combination has zero (0) owner driven miles on them. The STI had better come with zero defects or a lot of crow will be consumed by STI fans; gleefully served up by EVO owners!

Speedlimit........

Going crow hunting........
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:21 AM

Speedlimit, I agree with what you are saying. I really can't say that the STI tranny is better than the EVO tranny. The STI will no doubt have some problems as any new car model would. I guess these cars have been compared in every way imaginable and one of them isn't even released. EVO owners saying their evo will beat an STI in handling, etc. Until the STI comes, all we have is speculation. Look at the STI forums they are full of it. Everyone is just tired of waiting. Those of you who are done waiting, have fun in your EVO for me I'm envious!!
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Speedlimit, I agree with what you are saying. I really can't say that the STI tranny is better than the EVO tranny. The STI will no doubt have some problems as any new car model would. I guess these cars have been compared in every way imaginable and one of them isn't even released. EVO owners saying their evo will beat an STI in handling, etc. Until the STI comes, all we have is speculation. Look at the STI forums they are full of it. Everyone is just tired of waiting. Those of you who are done waiting, have fun in your EVO for me I'm envious!!

I agree too! Before you know it, the STI forums will change from bench racing and rumors to the next fun phase of "hang" the over MSRP gouging bottom feeding dealerships!

I am anxious to read your comments on the STI and I'm sure you are going to love it!!

Speedlimit........