Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dealer must change oil?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dealer must change oil?

When I took delivery the dealer said that they must change the oil. They said that you will void the warranty. Well now I am ready and I have the oil and filters and I would rather not void the warranty but would rather not have the dealer change it.

What is everyone else doing?

Thanks in advance for your replies....keep the shiny side up...
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just use the oil filter and there required oil and they can't void it in anyway.

Eric
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

If they require you to have the oil change at the dealership don't they have to pay for it since they're removing your choice as a consumer and owner
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Teriffic news Eric. Thanks for the fast response....
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

They can't void it if you can prove you had oil changes done. Make sure you keep records. I had a dealer try and deny me warranty work on my Durango when it spun a main bearing. I went round and round with them and Chrysler Corp. because they tried to say the oil wasn't changed regularly and "neglect" caused the motor problem. When I produced receipts and and complained to everyone I could for a week or so they replaced my motor under warranty. Going to the dealer and having it done will keep you from going through future hassles reference warranty work. I have always done my own oil changes but until I get to know my Mitsu service manager pretty well I think I'll take it to them for changes.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Search on google for: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Dealers/Mitsubishi cannot require that you get your oil changed through them.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 05:46 PM

you get a warranty covering the engine due to oil breakdown....if you get your oil changed at the dealer w/ quaker state they give you like a ten year/100k warranty coving oil breakdown
Old Apr 15, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

dealerships make money from services like oil changes....anywayz...go to a import shop and get it done...go get da fram filter...dun use thier cheap filters
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:07 PM

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act--US Code Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312 This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

I found this info here: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8128

Basically, they can't void your warranty unless they provide the oil and filters free of charge.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:15 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

The most important thing is to document the date and mileage of the oil change. If you are going to do it yourself you should keep a maintenance log and save all receipts. Not an issue if the work is performed by a reputable facility. In that case, your receipt is your record. The only advantage to dealer servicing is that they enter the service record into the database which is accessible by any dealer. And for that you must pay!
Filter brands are not critical so long as they meet specifications for by-pass valve pressure specification and filtering capability (typically measured in microns). It is probably easier to use the filter than to try and get their factor specifications. With a maximum oil change interval of 5k miles, the factory filters will perform just fine, but again for that you must pay! Dealership service = $$$$! Like most things in life it boils down to risk management. Will it fail, and if so what will the consequences be? Based on the probability of failure are those consequences acceptable? If not, pay for the dealer's security blanket.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ZooRacer
dealerships make money from services like oil changes....anywayz...go to a import shop and get it done...go get da fram filter...dun use thier cheap filters
WRONG!!!!

#1. What makes you think an "import" shop is going to know **** about EVOs UNLESS they are a "EVO Tuning" facility... I wouldn't suggest to anyone to take their brand new EVO to just any "import" shop!

#2. FRAM SUCKS ***!!!! Let me repeat FRAM SUCKS ***!!! On the DSM boards this Fram sucking issue has been covered over and over and before disinformation spreads to this board about Fram, for the RECORD, DO NOT USE FRAM as an oil filter.

Everyone's best bet is to use the factory filter you can buy at the dealership or a Mobil 1 oil filter. If the oil filter doesn't have a check valve, then you don't want to put it on you turbo car... Fram filters do not have this check valve and suck overall.

FYI