Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Donwpipe install!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Donwpipe install!

Personally, I like the peace of mind knowing someone who worked on my car is a certified mechanic. Not someone who goes to a forum to gather knowledge and pass it off, or even charge people for it.

That's a matter of rhetoric which can be argued on both sides.
Heck I can install my downpipe 152 times myself, but does that make me an expert say something were to go wrong abd I need to troubleshoot it.

I suppose statistically speaking after X amounts your success percentage will be greater than the initial trial and error phase.
Meanwhile I'll folk out the marginal labor fee difference and go with an experienced tuner.

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

Hey, I have not done one yet on the evo and I was just asking. Over a year and 1/2 ago I never did a uppipe before. Now I have done over 152. Amateur I'm not. I'm booked every weekend for installs ranging from simple cat back to full fuel system upgrades, turbos and clutches. Sorry if you feel the quetion is amateur like.

I like to ask quetions on even the simplist things to clairfy in my mind the prosess of removing a fatory part and fitting in a aftermarket one. (like the fact some 3in don't clear the x brace).
This is a new car and I'm here to learn as much as I can. I will be picking mine up when my sell of my WRX comes throw.

Sorry if you feel that way but, how is even a Amateur (like my self) is going to learn with out asking.

Eric
Old Apr 16, 2003, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

In my opinion this forum is for Professionals, Amatuers, and the uninitiated. When people at Vishnu, Buschur, Pruven, Vivid, etc. post in this forum why wouldn't you post your question here?

I for one like the fact that Eric asked here. If effect he's sharing info (pre-emptively) to all of us.

There are no stupid questions here, just stupid interpretations sometimes.

Sorry for being off-topic... I'm planning to completely document my exhaust change when it happens, sometime between now and next month.

Check the vendors... one or more sell better front cross braces which also allow more clearance for bigger downpipes.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Donwpipe install!

Originally posted by wrx-vs-evo
Personally, I like the peace of mind knowing someone who worked on my car is a certified mechanic. Not someone who goes to a forum to gather knowledge and pass it off, or even charge people for it.

That's a matter of rhetoric which can be argued on both sides.
Heck I can install my downpipe 152 times myself, but does that make me an expert say something were to go wrong abd I need to troubleshoot it.

I suppose statistically speaking after X amounts your success percentage will be greater than the initial trial and error phase.
Meanwhile I'll folk out the marginal labor fee difference and go with an experienced tuner.

Ok, you do that.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

This is hillarious. Installing a downpipe isn't rocket science. Just look at it. Any mechanic can do the job. And as far as taking your car to a certified mechanic to work on yer Evo, screw it. Do it yerself.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by stvbreal
This is hillarious. Installing a downpipe isn't rocket science. Just look at it. Any mechanic can do the job. And as far as taking your car to a certified mechanic to work on yer Evo, screw it. Do it yerself.

Oh ya. But some people don't have the tools or don't feel that they can do that. Some people get frustrated. Not everyone feels they can do the job.

Eric
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

damn you are harsh, he's askin an f'in question
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal when a qualified mechanic asks a question. It's a way to get the right info. By listening to as many other people as they can, you get the full spectrum of what people are doing, what works, and which one is doing teh best.

In a way, I feel as if the new tuners such as Vivid and Vishnu are just examples of people with an exceptional amount of funds. There are countless of people that can do what they do, but don't have the cash to do it.

Last edited by YellwTyper; Apr 16, 2003 at 11:37 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by YellwTyper
Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal when a qualified mechanic asks a question. It's a way to get the right info. By listening to as many other people as they can, you get the full spectrum of what people are doing, what works, and which one is doing teh best.

In a way, I feel as if the new tuners such as Vivid and Vishnu are just examples of people with an exceptional amount of funds. There are countless of people that can do what they do, but don't have the cash to do it.

Ye I would agree. Would you tust some one with your 30K car with out that persone being trained or did not do research on the subject mattar.

Eric
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Well Eric,
I wouldn't just go to some random person and let them do my work. i'd have to see whats going on. In my case my brother is a certified mechanic tht works on Audi's. I know that in the future if I needed someone to do work on my car, Id take it him, why make some other guy charge me so much when my brother would charge me some, but would always be there to help me. It's all about quality, marksmenship, and friendliness.
Honestly Im hate the big shot tuner shops, down here in South FL, they all think they are the best at what they do, and make people think its soo easy to do this and that. Bad experiences w/ them also.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by YellwTyper
Well Eric,
I wouldn't just go to some random person and let them do my work. i'd have to see whats going on. In my case my brother is a certified mechanic tht works on Audi's. I know that in the future if I needed someone to do work on my car, Id take it him, why make some other guy charge me so much when my brother would charge me some, but would always be there to help me. It's all about quality, marksmenship, and friendliness.
Honestly Im hate the big shot tuner shops, down here in South FL, they all think they are the best at what they do, and make people think its soo easy to do this and that. Bad experiences w/ them also.

Yes I understand. good thing you have a brother to help you out. Most of my Customers come to me because they like to hang out and help me work on their cars or just watch. There are some really great shops in South FL like Active Auto Werks. I know Carl and Mike well. I did there turbo kit on a 95 bmw that I owned. Some Shops are not that good but there are some that really want do the best work they can.

Eric
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Well, complete exhaust swap took all of an hour in my garage with the car on ramps/jackstands. Longest part was pulling all the damn fasteners on the undernose plastic panels. It took a 15mm socket, a 13mm socket, a 3/8" ratchet and extension, a crescent wrench, and a phillips screwdriver. Thats it. Seems fairly basic, and even minimal mechanical skills could handle it.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

What about the heat sheild from the horn to the down pipe. Did you need to remove that??

Eric
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I did a full exhaust install on my WRX (BY MYSELF).... NEVER AGAIN... You don't really need to be ASA certified to do these things... I know I can di it again, but NO WAY.... What a *****!! I'm sure these guys know what they are doing, and no matter how educated as a mechanic you are, there is always something that you'll do for the first time!!!
Ask your questions, that's how you learn...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

The stock exhaust all just unbolted, no heatshield had to be removed or modified.

Not sure how the Subie is laid out, but the Evo is a breeze. Everything unbolts, there are only the plastic panels and 2 crossbraces to remove. The exhaust from the cat back runs underneath everything, no braces or anything else in the way of dropping it down. The cat and the muffler unbolt from the mid-pipe, but you do not have to do that much if you want to drop the whole unit. Just remove the O2 sensor, unbolt the cat from the downpipe, and remove the 3 rubber exhaust hangers in the rear. The whole back of the exhaust will just come free in one piece. Watch the muffler, its a heavy sumbeach.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2Cool
Well, complete exhaust swap took all of an hour in my garage with the car on ramps/jackstands. Longest part was pulling all the damn fasteners on the undernose plastic panels. It took a 15mm socket, a 13mm socket, a 3/8" ratchet and extension, a crescent wrench, and a phillips screwdriver. Thats it. Seems fairly basic, and even minimal mechanical skills could handle it.
2Cool,

Thanks for the tool requirements. That should save me some time in preparation. Waiting to install mine due to clamps not making it here on Friday. How do you like it? You're running a test pipe right?

Quick Reply: Donwpipe install!