Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what my oil catch can looks like at the moment (minus the label and water).

l8r)
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:18 PM
Account Disabled

I also have the perrin catch can, its ok. It does come with all necessary mounting equipment like vacuum tube. But a bonus is some spongy strips to fill the can with. Im not sure but would this catch the blow by? I think the idea of a partition is a good one, I may pop it off and jbweld some lexan about 4 inches deep. It also has a level tube tied in from t op to bottum so you can see oil level. Ive had it on for a week, cars two weeks old and so far nothing. Overall i like it
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lilnaz
I also have the perrin catch can, its ok. It does come with all necessary mounting equipment like vacuum tube. But a bonus is some spongy strips to fill the can with. Im not sure but would this catch the blow by? I think the idea of a partition is a good one, I may pop it off and jbweld some lexan about 4 inches deep. It also has a level tube tied in from t op to bottum so you can see oil level. Ive had it on for a week, cars two weeks old and so far nothing. Overall i like it
Strips huh ? as long as there aren't any big gaps I guess it will do. You said you need to add a partition ? So the spongey material isn't dividing the entrance from the exit ?
If this is the case, it would be a good idea to do a mod (sucks that you have to)

This is the general idea:

line IN ------->######CONDENSING MESH#######--------> line OUT
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Saikou_kun
Strips huh ? as long as there aren't any big gaps I guess it will do. You said you need to add a partition ? So the spongey material isn't dividing the entrance from the exit ?
If this is the case, it would be a good idea to do a mod (sucks that you have to)

This is the general idea:

line IN ------->######CONDENSING MESH#######--------> line OUT
Saikou, you're DA man
Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:18 AM
Account Disabled

Well, they do include enough of the strips to fill the catch can. It just seems that if the oil is condensed into air it may stilljust suck right from one input into the other bypassing the catch can. I decided to leave it alone for now and in a few more weeks Ill pop the top and see what the insides look like. Thx Saikou
Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

I have the cusco catch can hooked up with just one hose from valve cover to catch can, the other barb has nothing attached to it(no hose), the stock hose that came off valve cover is capped off. The cusco hose was to big so I had to go to home depot and get some vinyl hose to come off valve cover and then the cusco hose slid over the home depot hose. SOme guy was telling me that catch cans on some motors are not good and will cause damage(especially in the 4g63 lineup of motors)-is there any fact to this? Anybody Know how to empty the cusco can by the way? The sight glass is clear-no oil in it yet but it hasn't been that long since I installed it. I would wait till the sight glass is showing oil, take can out, and then how would I get the oil out? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hk2ronin
I have the cusco catch can hooked up with just one hose from valve cover to catch can, the other barb has nothing attached to it(no hose), the stock hose that came off valve cover is capped off. The cusco hose was to big so I had to go to home depot and get some vinyl hose to come off valve cover and then the cusco hose slid over the home depot hose. SOme guy was telling me that catch cans on some motors are not good and will cause damage(especially in the 4g63 lineup of motors)-is there any fact to this? Anybody Know how to empty the cusco can by the way? The sight glass is clear-no oil in it yet but it hasn't been that long since I installed it. I would wait till the sight glass is showing oil, take can out, and then how would I get the oil out? Thanks in advance for the help.
Let us know what motors he's talking about. A catch can prevents sludge build up, keeps oil from coating your intake, and reduces carbon build up on your plugs. I think these things would be beneficial.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Is there any benefit to a catch can over just plugging the port on the intake and putting the K&N breather filter on the valve cover?
Old May 2, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
Is there any benefit to a catch can over just plugging the port on the intake and putting the K&N breather filter on the valve cover?
Yes, the vacuum created by the intake is necessary to draw out the vapor. When you plug the intake, there is no vacuum on the valve cover vent. Connecting a catch can properly still maintains the the vacuum but catches the vapor before it can get back into the intake. (if the can is designed properly )
Old May 2, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

So witch catch can should I buy so I don't have to modify it ?
Old May 2, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

What happens if you dont draw out the vapor?
Old May 2, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
What happens if you dont draw out the vapor?
This allows sludge to build up and if you plug up the pcv valve, I have heard it tends to pop up your dip stick.
Old May 2, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only 9 days left Saikou
Old May 2, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

I've had my Perrin catch can on my car for about 2 weeks now and there is no oil in at all, it is completely clean, should I be worried? Did I just waste my money?
Old May 2, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph k
Only 9 days left Saikou
I will send you a PM later tonight

Last edited by Saikou_kun; May 2, 2006 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can