Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problem after the 1/4 mile! T-case???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem after the 1/4 mile! T-case???

Clutch is an Exedy triple carbon with less than 10K miles on it, 25-30 launches, and a lot of highway driving.

I went to the track last Friday and finally made it into the 11's. I probably made around 8 or 9 11 second pass while using the two step on the AEM.

I noticed after the second pass that the car was having a strange slipping issue on the launch, but I know it wasn't the clutch because I heated it up several times. I also noticed it started getting harder to get into 2nd and 4th gear(slight grind).

Fast forward, I leave the track and got onto the highway to head home. When I got into 5th gear cruising, I punched it and the rpms shot up about 1000rpms and then the car began to move, BUT the car also began to shake violently. The car also pulls to the right slightly.

If I gun it while cruising the car acts like it is slipping in every gear now for about 500-1000 rpms except in 5th, if I have it in 5th and 100% full throttle it not only slips ,but the car also shakes violently.

Fast forward to the next day, I was slowing down(off throttle) and around 35 mph when the car began to shake/hop violently AGAIN.

I drove home immediately and parked the car. After speaking with someone they said to drive the car in small circles in both directions and see if I hear a clunking noise. I drove both directions and didn't hear any noise at all. No clunking, rattle, no vibration, nothing.

I called Shep Racing and talked to someone on the phone explaining my problem. They said it sounds like the transfer case is the issue, but without tearing it apart it is hard to tell.

I had the car towed to a shop and I am having the t-case and tranny redone by Shep.

Has anybody else had these same issues and what was the problem? I just want to make sure I am spending all this money replacing the right parts.

Last edited by EVOONYOASS; Apr 21, 2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
Clutch is an Exedy triple carbon with less than 10K miles on it, 25-30 launches, and a lot of highway driving.

I went to the track last Friday and finally made it into the 11's. I probably made around 8 or 9 11 second pass while using the two step on the AEM.

I noticed after the second pass that the car was having a strange slipping issue on the launch, but I know it wasn't the clutch because I heated it up several times. I also noticed it started getting harder to get into 2nd and 4th gear(slight grind).

Fast forward, I leave the track and got onto the highway to head home. When I got into 5th gear cruising, I punched it and the rpms shot up about 1000rpms and then the car began to move, BUT the car also began to shake violently. The car also pulls to the right slightly.

If I gun it while cruising the car acts like it is slipping in every gear now for about 500-1000 rpms except in 5th, if I have it in 5th and 100% full throttle it not only slips ,but the car also shakes violently.

Fast forward to the next day, I was slowing down(off throttle) and around 35 mph when the car began to shake/hop violently AGAIN.

I drove home immediately and parked the car. After speaking with someone they said to drive the car in small circles in both directions and see if I hear a clunking noise. I drove both directions and didn't hear any noise at all. No clunking, rattle, no vibration, nothing.

I called Shep Racing and talked to someone on the phone explaining my problem. They said it sounds like the transfer case is the issue, but without tearing it apart it is hard to tell.

I had the car towed to a shop and I am having the t-case and tranny redone by Shep.

Has anybody else had these same issues and what was the problem? I just want to make sure I am spending all this money replacing the right parts.
Sounds like you blew the front diff on the Tcase and it would make clunks ONLY while turning left or right, i would send it to TRE or Shep to get it fixed
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

The wonders of AWD!! Sounds like the front diff even if the clunking noise isn't apparent.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Sounds like you blew the front diff on the Tcase and it would make clunks ONLY while turning left or right, i would send it to TRE or Shep to get it fixed
I guess you missed this part? The car makes no noise while turning, no whining, no clunks, nothing!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
The wonders of AWD!! Sounds like the front diff even if the clunking noise isn't apparent.
So the slipping, violent shaking, and pulling to the right is a tell tale sign for the front diff?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I guess you missed this part? The car makes no noise while turning, no whining, no clunks, nothing!
Well, after reading this again, sounds like your clutch is going pretty bad, if you hit it in 5th and the rpms shot up, your clutch is definitely slippin. Send it out anyway and upgrade to a lsd and do the trans whiel ur at it, mights as well....
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Send it to shep, skip TRE
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well, after reading this again, sounds like your clutch is going pretty bad, if you hit it in 5th and the rpms shot up, your clutch is definitely slippin. Send it out anyway and upgrade to a lsd and do the trans whiel ur at it, mights as well....
I was told there is no way the problem was the Exedy triple carbon, especially on a car with 400whp, less than 10K miles on it, and only 25-30 launches.

I find it hard to believe it could be the clutch also.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I was told there is no way the problem was the Exedy triple carbon, especially on a car with 400whp, less than 10K miles on it, and only 25-30 launches.

I find it hard to believe it could be the clutch also.
Well if the rpms are shooting up like that in 5th when u floor it, those a re signs of a slipping clutch..
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well if the rpms are shooting up like that in 5th when u floor it, those a re signs of a slipping clutch..
Thats what I'm trying to explain, it "slips" but it doesn't feel like a clutch slip. Feels different, but hard to explain.

For the $,$$$ of the Exedy triple, IT BETTER NOT BE THE CLUTCH, not this soon.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

I honestly doubt it's your clutch. Once it's taken apart at the shop maybe you will have a better diagnosis as to what it is.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Thats what I'm trying to explain, it "slips" but it doesn't feel like a clutch slip. Feels different, but hard to explain.

For the $,$$$ of the Exedy triple, IT BETTER NOT BE THE CLUTCH, not this soon.
Have you called them? Sounds to me like the cluch is going bad imo. Call Jn at TRE and see what he thinks
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Anybody else have these same issues?

Tomorrow, the shop is taking out the t-case and tranny to ship them out to Shep. I should know more when they are removed.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Nobody else has had similar problems?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

You need someone who has tracked it and driven home just like you to diagnose this one without pulling it.

I would definitely expect the LSD/Tcase to be toast and not the clutch. The violent hopping and tossing mixed with slippage sounds like axles and LSD.

Good luck.