Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's wrong with this picture?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my fidenza gears make a weird noise. It sounds like maroccos (sp) shaking. Is that normal? Some days its loud sometimes its not... any thoughts?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AutobonEvo
my fidenza gears make a weird noise. It sounds like maroccos (sp) shaking. Is that normal? Some days its loud sometimes its not... any thoughts?
This is actually something else I am looking into on this set. The intake appears to have a hairline wobble. It was removed and reinstalled, still does it. Thought it was making the noise. The exhaust gear actually upon starting, appears to slightly jump when the noise is made.

I have a message into Fidanza about these abnormalities.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

so is it safe? I just dont want the gears to go them KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

my friend with the same cam gears and a power enterprise belt also makes wierd noises.
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AutobonEvo
so is it safe? I just dont want the gears to go them KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
I would say its likely safe if adjusting nuts torqued correctly.

My issue is the vibration/noise could be setting off the knock sensor. One of my reflashers had a hard time with this car due to the typhoon intake, turbosmart BOV and POSSIBLY this noise/vibration setting off the sensor.
Evolved Member

Yeah I didn't take the picture and it's all I had since it was sent to me. Will try for a better picture this weekend.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same gears on my car, and when I set them straight up, the car makes way more valve noise than when they are set to -2,0. I hope my noise isn't caused because mine are off. Maybe I should put the stock gears onb and see if it makes the noise.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

i dont think it has to do with the settings. Mine made the noise when they were set a 0,0 and they still is making the nosie at -2,-2.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

You know I wonder, about the knock issue since you've mentioned it Scott. My car has seemed to get random knock. With my one gear obviously having an issue I wonder if it's causing some of my "phantom" knock I've had that comes and goes... I have a pretty light timing map compaired to many other Evo's I've seem using AEM and the knock seems to still come off and on. I think I'll throw my stock ones back on and see what happens.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
For those who have noisy cam gears. The noise is from the gears not being true. Look at the gears with the engine idling. They likely are wobbling up and down. When the gear wobbles upward it tightens the belt. The auto tensioner does not back up, so the belt squeels under the pressure. Its not a good thing. Fidanza gears are the most affordable so its not surprising they are not machined perfectly.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
For those who have noisy cam gears. The noise is from the gears not being true. Look at the gears with the engine idling. They likely are wobbling up and down. When the gear wobbles upward it tightens the belt. The auto tensioner does not back up, so the belt squeels under the pressure. Its not a good thing. Fidanza gears are the most affordable so its not surprising they are not machined perfectly.
In all honesty these are some of the only ones I have seen with issues. I have installed a lot of them. Two sets on my own car (color change). I appreciate you confirming what I stated about this exhaust cam Jerry. The intake cam does not appear to have a longitudinal wobble.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I would say its likely safe if adjusting nuts torqued correctly.

My issue is the vibration/noise could be setting off the knock sensor. One of my reflashers had a hard time with this car due to the typhoon intake, turbosmart BOV and POSSIBLY this noise/vibration setting off the sensor.
I am glad you are looking into this for him Scott. All of the above can be the cause of the problem. Too bad he got the bad gear to top it off.
Someone else mentioned the 280 Comp cams are more agressive than the HKS's and if the gear is bad, this may be also amplifying the issue with the tune not working or giving the tuner a hard time making it work.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:35 PM

would a vibrating feeling be caused by the cam gears! i seem to only get it at high rpm's above 4k on this car im tring to work on.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

I got one of these gears sitting at home, i'll have to check the marks now and make sure everything is correct before installing.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so what dowel pin holes are we supposed to use? i'm installing these on sunday with my 272s and don't want any issues. do we use the dsm holes or the evo holes? does it actually make a difference? if we use the ones marked evo, isn't the timing chart going to be on its side since its marked to be at tdc for dsms? lastly, what is this error that fidanza is talking about? did they put evo on the wrong hole or something? thanks.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with this picture?