Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's wrong with this picture?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm not sure but i would think so. i had a set of the fidanzas with the evo and dsm holes. i counted the number of teeth on the gears and then the distance between the two tdc marks. the distance between the two was exactly 1/4 of the total amount. which would be 90 degrees out of 360. i verfied that the holes were just 90 degrees apart via a dial caliper and a few measurements. so i would say that yes, you are probably a bit behind.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone had a problem with the fidanza timing marks (TDC) lining up with the valve cover.

when the crank is @ TDC both the intake/exhaust gear are advance a degree. I used a ruler last night. when the stockers were up there everything lined up perfect.

wondering should I set them -5/-2 rather than -4/-1 since they sit advance already
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
i'm not sure but i would think so. i had a set of the fidanzas with the evo and dsm holes. i counted the number of teeth on the gears and then the distance between the two tdc marks. the distance between the two was exactly 1/4 of the total amount. which would be 90 degrees out of 360. i verfied that the holes were just 90 degrees apart via a dial caliper and a few measurements. so i would say that yes, you are probably a bit behind.

told ya j
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bnice01
has anyone had a problem with the fidanza timing marks (TDC) lining up with the valve cover.

when the crank is @ TDC both the intake/exhaust gear are advance a degree. I used a ruler last night. when the stockers were up there everything lined up perfect.

wondering should I set them -5/-2 rather than -4/-1 since they sit advance already
If you are serious about getting the timing perfect, then you need to have your engine professionally degreed with a degree wheel.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
If you are serious about getting the timing perfect, then you need to have your engine professionally degreed with a degree wheel.
I know I have a problem but just looking for feedback. I know its ok to be 1-2 off. Since I want to set mine around -4/-1, you think I should set it -5/-2 since they both sit a degree advanced.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

yea you were right B and in all honesty my degree marks are sitiing at -10, -7 thats horrible. I would hope that reputable tuners would have known this thanks TTP for finding this
Old Nov 28, 2007, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and just to add, i meant the tdc marks on the cam gear only. my measurements had nothing to do with them being in the car.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Cant see the timing marks in the pic.... The DSM's timing marks face each other with the dowl pins facing up.... The evos are the dowl pins up, and the timing marks on the cam gears lining up with the marks on the valve cover.....
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dancarroll0283
Cant see the timing marks in the pic.... The DSM's timing marks face each other with the dowl pins facing up.... The evos are the dowl pins up, and the timing marks on the cam gears lining up with the marks on the valve cover.....

1. so your saying if I use the dsm holes then I should go off the marks facing towards when determining TDC rather than use the valve cover? I mean what is the difference if there the same amount of teeth apart. I flipped my cam gears from the evo setting to the dsm setting according to the valve cover (dowels pins facing up) I got the same thing once I was @ TDC (according to the crank pulley). and according to my cam gear locking tool its the same as well. So I assume when the dowels are facing up you can use the valve cover on the dsm setting.

2. another question is say if i want a -4/-1 setting right and according to the crank mark when @ TDC both cams sit a degree advance. Should I add in an extra degree when retarding (-5/-2) to make up for the cams already sitting a degree advance?

Last edited by bnice01; Nov 28, 2007 at 04:56 PM.