Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing ready to"Attack"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
We went back today, weather was suppose to be horrible. Turned out to be a beautiful day, fairly cool and breezy.

Robert made some changes to the suspension to make the first run on a wet track. Just more seat time is what he was looking for. The car ran well. In the wet I believe he was 1.58's.

There was a bad *** Viper there running on Moton's. Local guy that runs at Mid Ohio all the time. He had run a 1:39 yesterday in TTA and they moved him to TTU today. He ran a 1.39 today too.

First time out in the dry Robert asked me to put make some changes and then some more changes, to the suspension and he left. Steve and I both thought the first change he changed his mind on, which was connecting the rear sway bar. We did not do it. Robert turned in a 1:39.4, the Viper turned in a 1.39.1. The buzz around the pits were about a certain bad *** red EVO. Everywhere I turned it seemed I over heard guys talking about the car or stopping to look at it.

Robert found out I didn't put the rear bar back on the car and remained calm (thanks for being a calm dude Robert). I re-attached the bar, Robert worked some magic on the alignment and then said he was going out to run a 1:37 and then park the car for the last round of the day as there was no way the Viper had a 1:37 in it.

Well true to his word he went out and ran a 1:37.53 and a 1:38.1 in the 3rd round!! That put us in 1st for Saturday and now Sunday. I could not have been happier. He was right about what he would run and the Viper, as fast as it was, did not have a 1:37 in it.

Not sure if and when we will be running Mid Ohio again but with the changes we are making after this weekend Robert feels he could pull a 1:32 or 1:33 out of the car without working too hard.

Trent was there with his EVO again. Trent is our welder and I think now a bonifide road race junky. He put in 8, 20 minute sessions with the car and moved from Group 1, through Group 2 and is now signed off to participate in Group 3 next time he goes out. Robert says he has some serious natural talent.

This was a great day at the track. I can't remember leaving a race track this happy with a car in a very long time.

The car as I have said was basically an abortion of crap and about 98% stock at 2pm on Monday. We completely built the entire car at our shop between then and 6 pm on Thursday. Robert flew in from California on Friday, did the alignment and made some suspension changes to it. I got the car around 3 pm on Friday, put it on our dyno for about 10 pulls and then we cleaned and detailed it for some pictures. Left the shop with the car loaded in the trailer by 6 pm on Friday.

There were 8, 20 minute sessions over the weekend. We were black flagged for a fuel leak two of those, probably ran half way through each one. Set fast time of the day on Saturday in TTU and today we were the fastest car again in TTU.

There were ZERO problems, what a great car this turned out to be.

It is very odd. Watching the car go around the track it seems absolutely effortless, no way can it be fast. Doesn't even make much noise. Looking at the datalog is a joke, the tune is so backed off it looks like something I tuned for pump gas for an everyday customer to drive for 100,000 miles. BUT, riding in the car is a whole different experience. It feels like the most abusive thing you could ever do to any car, crazy.

I learned this weekend that the brown Brembo calipers I see on some EVO's are from the owners of the car actually using the brakes like they were designed to be used! haha Needless to say the brakes on my RS are nice and bright shiney red still! haha

This is some very addictive stuff. We have to fix the ABS on the car as it has none, we are going to delete the ACD on it and just install a RS t-case. The car is way too heavy for what we built it for. It is our mission to remove some weight along with these other changes before the Beaver Run Time Attack in 2 weeks.

This car combined with Robert Fuller's driving ability is going to be a very hard combination to beat. Looking forward to these events.

I guess those of you that thought we were just a bunch of drag racer's can change your opinion now, as if the C&D event wasn't good enough last year. For those of you that thought I could only tune a car for drag racing you will have to stop that silly talk too, as if the MANY cars I have tuned road racing and winning weren't enough either.

The absolute number one reason we built this car was to shut mouths about "drag racing this and that." Now that it is built it is becoming a serious addiction, it is much more fun to be challenged by a 20 minute datalog and tuning than it is 7 second of WOT on a drag pass.

Thanks for the support and compliments on the car!!

Robert, thanks again for a great, superb, excellent job of driving and for all the knowledge you are passing along to us as we go.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Great to hear this good news

I will never forget when I first met robi and we was actually sleeping while we were tuning his then stage IV Buschur Car on the 101 freeway

I think we should start calling him Robi-San

The road racing stuff is without a doubt a huge blast, after watching the F1 race today I am walking on air all day
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The absolute number one reason we built this car was to shut mouths about "drag racing this and that." Now that it is built it is becoming a serious addiction, it is much more fun to be challenged by a 20 minute datalog and tuning than it is 7 second of WOT on a drag pass.www.buschurracing.com
i like this. this is good.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rsr14
Lap time prediction:

1:37.4 with chicane

Car looks good, can't wait to see it at the tuner shootout at CMP
Hmm looks like I was pretty close on my prediction. Ha

1.37.5 Good Job!
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rsr14
Hmm looks like I was pretty close on my prediction. Ha

1.37.5 Good Job!
Yeah the car prob had another 2 seconds...but I was still learning the track!...car is a DREAM to drive turn the key and go kick some well setup Vipers butt...(not really but 0.9 is as good as a mile!lol)..getting the front dif and antilock solved will lose 3 seconds on this track everything else =...imo..you come off 4 corners smoking an 11" WIDE hoosier...for crying out loud! David/Dan/Jerrod/Ted/Nick/Steve/Trent (Hell I'm cr**py with names)...THANKS for a GREAT running MISSLE!

Keep these cars and roadrace tunes coming down the pike!
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:41 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robi, what specifically was the issue with the front diff?
Cheers,
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:17 AM
Former Sponsor

It's speculation as the car was an MR WITH the acd system, but the last crowd that "prepped the car to go racing" (25 hour of T-hill) changed to a 5 speed and cusco dif's..someone also removed the steering wheel sensor for the ACD/ABS which causes the ACD to not function correctly.(no steering angle data to bless the final lockup)..I thing when Mitsu got the car back the 6 speed and ACD system....never made it back in the car..and the cusco dif was replaced with whatever was at hand...AKA an open front difTHIS IS OPINION NOT "TRUTH OR FACT" I don't even thing it was on purpose..just get it back together so Mitsu can pick it up....We were shaking the car down and went with the lightest springs I thought the car could use and missed on the rear springs..this lack of spring allowed the car coming off a corner to unweight the inside front enough to cause it to spin as the boost/torque hit its stride...adding more bump to combat this
just loosened the car up more....and ask David it was plenty LOOSE at turn one already!!!!

Last edited by robi; Apr 24, 2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:45 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Interesting. I would have thought that having no steering angle sensor would throw a code causing the ACD to not function. FYI, I have the 6-speed from that car as a spare for my T2 car. Be interesting to see what you find for a front diff in that T-case.
Cheers,
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

congrats guys, good job!

n
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Are you running the DMS coil-overs on this car?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The track, the way we ran it, is a 2.4 mile course with 15 turns, or atleast I am assuming that was the layout. The other layout they have is without the chicane and is a 13 turn course. 2.4 miles and 15 turns in 1:37 seconds, nice.

The car has multiple codes from the ABS and such. We knew this going into the race but ran out of time doing the car the last minute this week.

We will be fixing the ABS and probably just remove the ACD. Install an '04 RS t-case they work killer.

The cars set up:

Complete Buschur Racing Stages 1-4, including the race FMIC, 880cc injectors, Revolver cams and the AEM EMS.

Also: BR20g-9-5 turbo, ported coated manifold, ported coated 10.5 hotside, coated SS 02 housing. Buschur Racing Stage 3 shortblock (2 liter) and Stage 3 head. Ported stock intake manifold and our 65 mm throttle body. BR coil on plug ignition. ATL fuel cell with a BR high pressure intake pump, -6 lines to and from cell. BR adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

We dyno'd the car at 25 psi of boost and made 378 whp and 420 ft lbs of torque. This was on 110 octane fuel. The car has a ton of power in it. The car is basically set up exactly like my personal daily driven EVO RS with the exception of the fuel cell and special high pressure pump. My RS made 449 whp and 502 ft lbs, this was at a peak boost of 32 psi and on C16 fuel. Needless to say there is a TON left in the Time Attack car.

Suspension on the Time Attack car is all Robispec'd. KW racing coil overs. Front and rear sway bars, DC titanium front strut bar, anti bump rear bushings, control arm bushings, Stop Tech 335 mm front brakes, stainless steel brake lines.

Any questions feel free to ask. EVERY part on the car is available to YOU guys, nothing "special" has been used.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Amazing. So you guys will be making it to Camden, SC this July for the Tuner Challenge?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:51 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robi
Yeah the car prob had another 2 seconds...but I was still learning the track
Just to put Robi's 1:37.5 in perspective, the Viper GTS had a best time of 1:38.4! Oh, and I had a 1:51.6. But I was on green, full-tread RA-1s and the sun was in my eyes, and...

Mid-0hio is a tough track. The Buschur car looked sweet, sounded sweet, and ran like an SOB. I can't imagine taking T1 like Robi does. I saw the back end wiggle a bit on turn-in a couple times -- I would have had to replace my seat after that!

I know what my car wants to be when it grows up! You just cannot argue with results! Congratulations to the Buschur team and Robi. And folks, get out to see them at an event, it'll be worth the trip.

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:53 AM
Former Sponsor

wiggle...hehehe try backing in an open oval kart 435lbs all up(yes dave that includes my fat ***)...54HP. 1/8th mile oval..8.5 seconds/lap with 2 180 degree corners,...now THATS wiggling....
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That car sounds like its going to tear up that Time Attack!

Congrats David and Robi! So Robi, you liking those KW's?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

8.5 secs? damn...can't imagine how often you are making a U-turn during sessions of that.

yeah, rear wiggle is scary....but its inevitable if you are driving hard on the brakes late during turn in.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing ready to"Attack"