Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

my 3rd gear problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 3rd gear problem

Well, I ran a search and found that no one has had my type of 3rd gear situation. All I could find is that people have small grinds going into 3rd when they shift in low rpm's. But in my case, I grind into 3rd during low rpm's, during high rpm's or even just parked in neutral than going into 3rd. And it's not any small grind either its just this nasty grind that unless I shift into it hard it won't catch. If I try shifting real smooth and soft it just grinds and grinds until I push it through a bit harder. Well I was just wondering if you all knew what it could be and how I can fix it. Thanx.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like that syncro is damaged, have you tried adjusting the clutch pedal to see if that helps?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by lightingyellow8
Well, I ran a search and found that no one has had my type of 3rd gear situation. All I could find is that people have small grinds going into 3rd when they shift in low rpm\\\'s. But in my case, I grind into 3rd during low rpm\\\'s, during high rpm\\\'s or even just parked in neutral than going into 3rd. And it\\\'s not any small grind either its just this nasty grind that unless I shift into it hard it won\\\'t catch. If I try shifting real smooth and soft it just grinds and grinds until I push it through a bit harder. Well I was just wondering if you all knew what it could be and how I can fix it. Thanx.

Did you search for long?? Mitsubishi transmissions are notorious for this. Try adjusting your clutch. Then try changing out your tranny fluid for some BG, Penzoil, GM or any synthetic fluid to see if it helps. Your case sounds like a horrible grind so your synchros in the tranny are probably shot.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:45 PM

I just recently bought a IX, and shifting from only 2nd to 3rd no matter the rpms, i get a notchyness/grindy feeling. i thought with over time it would loosen up(break in) now at 1600 miles, it is still there. I think i will be calling the dealer for a appointment to have them look at it.

good luck, I will let you know what i find out

J
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

So what would be next if I adjust the clutch pedal and change the tranny fluid and it still grinds? Does anyone know how much it is to fix the 3rd gear synchro? And exactly what does that mean? Is the clutch messed up? Or is it the transmisson? Would they need to build a new tranny? I'm sorry but I'm still kinda ignorant in this whole thing.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:20 PM

same problem

I have a 2004 ra and the 2nd gear is doing the same thing.
I would really like to know want price range to fix the synchro.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

i had a real problem at the track.. If i try to shift 3rd or 4th fast i get a small grind. But if i drive slow or shift slower there is absolutely no grind..
I just got a new clutch a month or so ago. And the engagement is almost to the floor. I just think trying to shift too quick i wasnt fully engaging my clutch..
I missed 3rd and 4th and got a 1.9 60' and i still did 13.7 at 100mph
Old Apr 26, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

does no one know or does no one really wanna help me out here?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lightingyellow8
does no one know or does no one really wanna help me out here?
You should of called me Vic I coulda helped you out hope you got everything straightend out though hope its not your synchro but it prolly is. hope you got extended warranty when it was offered