Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone here used a "Cutout"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here used a "Cutout"

I have been reading about these and tryign to figure out if its something that I might look into getting. I have found two differnt versions one you can control with a switch and one that is manual.

My questions are with the electric one if its always open is that going to slow your turbo from spooling?

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

thanks guys
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no... they function the same as a cat back....i have it instead of one welded into a 3" test pipe and a 3" downpipe to go with it...i've read in a few places that cutout's are better for higher rpm's than catback because they are much less restrictive...

cheers
Old Apr 26, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

do a quick search, someone just posted pics. He also said there were no gains from a catless 3" tbe too.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

My friend uses one on his 90 Eclipse, 450hp +/- on stock motor and cams w/ 50 trim and the car still has the stock exhaust. I have been throwing the idea around of buying a 3" dp and installing one and then keeping my stock exhaust and then when I want power just open it up and let her rip....He opens his up at the track and sometimes on the street for fun, gets your attention really fast

For inspection just put quick connects on the e-cutout and all you have to do is drop the dp, disconnect the wires, install the stocker and roll up the wires and tuck them away? Plus if your running it around town for fun and you see a cop just close it and be like what loud exhaust?

haha I think I just talked my self into it even more...haha
Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
mccord power plate is also similar to these. I used them on my 76 Vette, gotta love that open header sound on a lumpy cam. I gained about 2 tenths when I was open header, but this was also on a 350 build sb, not a 4g63.

Performance wise - ya I would agree, if you install it in the dp and have a stock cat and cat back it would be like having a catless catback, and then stock when you have it closed.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah... You can do it all for under $350 bucks and have the function of a $850+ turboback with the option of quiet stock noise anytime you want?

Megan dp off of ebay - $115.00-$130.00
Quicktime Cutout - $200.00

Savings of $500.00 which can be used for flash, cams, hookers, whatever you want to use it for!!

**Plus people with 03-04 can use the intercooler sprayer switch to toggle it ...
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

well i have one on my car. and i have a buschur racing three inch exhaust. with a 3 inch cutout. and i gott tell you that it makes it pull like mad on top. but yo u loss all most all your torque on the bottom end.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RKT SHP
well i have one on my car. and i have a buschur racing three inch exhaust. with a 3 inch cutout. and i gott tell you that it makes it pull like mad on top. but yo u loss all most all your torque on the bottom end.
Cant you open it up 1/2 through your RPM range?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kekek
do a quick search, someone just posted pics. He also said there were no gains from a catless 3" tbe too.

he had all that extra piping and they weren't mandrel bent.....if it was a direct exit from the cutout there would definetly be more power
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

i usaually open it open once i shift to second or third. because in first i don have time. and i have mine right where it bends on the down pipe. pretty much as it comes off the turbo and turns straight.....it is right there. i had to build a custom heat shield for my transfer case because it is right in front of it.(maybe a foot)

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
Cant you open it up 1/2 through your RPM range?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I did my cutout setup for about $50.

www.jegs.com = $25 3" cutout
Goto local shop and have it welded in for $20-30.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:13 PM

my friend has one if the electronic ones on his evo.. works and performs fine. imo the best part about having one is passing a cop with it open.. then closing it when he's tailing u. lol it messes with thier heads.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

So there is a tq loss when its open in the low end?

Also from my reading it sez not to open them while your accelerationg casue it can bend the flap.

Is buying a aftermarket DP a must? I reado n here one guy used his stock one. His argument was "why cut up a good aftermarket one when you can use the stock one to cut up"

Thanks.

EDIT: I live in missouri in the middle of no where. Passing inspection is not a problem. So im not worried about smog or any of that bull****

Last edited by Fusion7; Apr 26, 2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I made a documented thread about this about a year ago...

I will mention that now... my QTP valve has completely disassembled itself randomly while driving. The motor that's supposed t obe tightly secured to the butterfly valve somehow managed to disappear on me when I looked under the car earier this week while checking to see why it wouldn't close.

I went through 3 motors, and 12+ rebuilts of the valve itself... and now the motor's finally gone forever. I wonder if QTP will stand behind their product when I call 'em later on... lol.

Oh, to the myth of the cut-out making the knock sensor go off, that's wrong.

To whoever says that you lose torque with less back pressure, that's wrong. =]

I honestly wish there was a company out there that made a cutout WITHOUT using a butterfly valve... more of a gate-style where it splits in the middle and opens... or some type of reinforced/welded butterfly valve. If you plan to use anti-lag of any sort, expect to blow-up that valve and rebuild it quick.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9a gsr
Oh, to the myth of the cut-out making the knock sensor go off, that's wrong.
You have proof? I've done logs with the UTEC and i've seen the ECU pulling timing with the cutout open, so somthing is going on.

Quick Reply: Anyone here used a "Cutout"