Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone tried those $199 Ebay TBE's?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voidhawk
I love how not even a single poster in this thread has anything to say they actually *know*, it's all "trust me it's gonna suck" or "friend of a friend of a friend tried it and it rocks". Who cares, unless you actually have personal experience with what you are talking about? "It's chinese therefore it's crap" - gimme a break, much of the so called name-brand stuff is made in china anyway.
This fellow hit the nail square on the head!

I'm not looking for anyone's educated guess here. I want to hear first hand from people that have actually purchased one of those exhausts or FMIC's.

Please don't turn this into another political thread about the chinese economy...

again all I want is ACTUAL FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE, please.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost

I'm not looking for anyone's educated guess here. I want to hear first hand from people that have actually purchased one of those exhausts or FMIC's.

Please don't turn this into another political thread about the chinese economy...

Bump fot that
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost

Exactly what I was thinking, we need people with experience to chime in and not guesses!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmi11
no way....

1st off...the fitment would most likely be terrible. I couldnt begin to imagine th hassle of putting one of those on.

2nd...the quality of the piece would most likely suck.. Welds especially.. I guess it could do the same thing, but it seems like its one of those things that you could get a good one, or a horrible one.

plus ower gains probably wouldnt be close to that of a professional built one.
I wouldnt talk so much smack unless youve actually had this peice. While the usual saying "you get what you pay for" usually does hold true, there are exceptions.

$200 for a TBE is insanely cheap. If the exhaust FITS, thats incredible. As far as the welds you would think they suck because of the price but many of the exhausts coming from there are machine welded quite perfectly. My Helix catback was $375, the welds are incredibly perfect and looks great. Looks better than any HKS exhaust Ive seen and its 3" straight thru including the muffler and as my power can be seen, theres nothing Id be gaining by getting a more expesinve exhaust.

Someone shoudl buy the 200 exhaust, see the quality of the welds, if its ok, check fitment, then lastly power, however, since its full 3" with no neckdowns or resonators, the only thing possible to wonder about is the muffler, if that is straight thru... your GOLDEN!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Welding isn't rocket science! Damn, as long as it is halfway welded correctly it will hold and at thats all you're really worried about here. Everyone gets all worried over crap like welds on an exhaust because it's what they've read in the magazines. Freaking stupid magazines and sites like this where people can spread their misinformation to make a buck run this industry. It's amazing to me that people are worried about the welds on a $200 exhuast. Of course it's not going to be the greatest, it's $200! If it holds up and does a good job, so what if the thing looks like butt? It's only $200. Hell, a lot of race cars run parts that look worse than this because it's cheap and it works.

I mean it's an exhaust not a roll cage!

A exhaust is often the least precisely made of after market parts. That's because it JUST HAS TO FIT, as long as it fits good enough that it doesn't bang around and make a bunch of noise as your going down the road, and the muffler doesn't sound like complete crap who cares what it looks like. It's under your damn car! The only thing your ever going to see is that muffler, and at that price I'd be more concerned with it than anything else. The best exhaust for a turbo car, is practically no exhaust anyways. It looks to be a fairly straight exhuast flow so I'm sure it makes decent power. Hell, there's no more than 10whp difference in most aftermarket exhausts anyway. You could take that extra money and buy more mods and end up with more HP/$ in the end, which ain't bad if you ask me.

The FMIC is another story altogether, and on that one I agree with those who say don't go cheap. There is a lot more R&D going into a IC. Even so, you don't need to buy one unless you're running a gigantor turbo. All you're going to do is end up losing 200-300 RPM of spool if you put that thing on your car. And that is fact, I've witnessed it first hand. And without a larger turbo you don't need it.

Just my

Last edited by RallyRedEVO; Apr 30, 2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

glad this post is back on track. I appreciate everyones opinion but the original question is still unanswered...
Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

a guy on the STI forums has a ebay TBE and hasnt had any problems with it FWIW.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

well I know that chinese quaility has come a long way. With the right manufacturer the fitment and quality can be good or even better than brand name products. They even send **** up in the space Im sure it doesn't take mad scientist to make some metal pipings.

But than again I buy chinese made shoes NOT chinese made EVO parts. I like to keep 90% made in Japan and 10% USA.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

i have it
and a couple of my friends have it, it works great sounds good, flows well, fit perfect with no issues at all. welds look and hold up well, I have the o2 housing dp, and all. For 200 bucks you cant beat it if you want more info pm me about it

Last edited by HIPSI9; Apr 30, 2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HIPSI9
i have it
and a couple of my friends have it, it works great sounds good, flows well, fit perfect with no issues at all. welds look and hold up well, I have the o2 housing dp, and all. For 200 bucks you cant beat it if you want more info pm me about it
You got pm!
Old May 1, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=137651

Read this entire thread. Most of your questions about the intercooler will be answered.

As far as the exhaust, I say give it a shot. If it doesn't fit or you don't like the sound just sell it for $150 and you're only out $50.

EVOlutionary
Old May 1, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

On evom someone did install the exhaust and seemed to be happy with the results. Wasnt that long ago, maybe about 2 months ago I believe....

off topic... dam SSAutochrome got 34k hits by their name.. lol
Old May 1, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I had an Ebay exhaust on my car. It sounded great, and worked fine. The hangers did not fit exactly in the right spot but were close enough to make it fit fine. The car made plenty of power with it.
Old May 1, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Look it's as simple as this: IT'S PIPE

Originally Posted by jmi11
no way....

1st off...the fitment would most likely be terrible. I couldnt begin to imagine th hassle of putting one of those on.

2nd...the quality of the piece would most likely suck.. Welds especially.. I guess it could do the same thing, but it seems like its one of those things that you could get a good one, or a horrible one.

plus ower gains probably wouldnt be close to that of a professional built one.
What do you know anyway, do you have it on your car? More people need to shut their pie hole, listen, and quit assuming.

Originally Posted by KDamericano
yes, I too would prefer a used name-brand over a new ebay one.
To each his own. If you don't mind paying more for a name, rock on bro!!!

Originally Posted by voidhawk
I love how not even a single poster in this thread has anything to say they actually *know*, it's all "trust me it's gonna suck" or "friend of a friend of a friend tried it and it rocks". Who cares, unless you actually have personal experience with what you are talking about? "It's chinese therefore it's crap" - gimme a break, much of the so called name-brand stuff is made in china anyway.
Thank You, listen to him, smart man.

Originally Posted by RallyRedEVO
Welding isn't rocket science! Damn, as long as it is halfway welded correctly it will hold and at thats all you're really worried about here. Everyone gets all worried over crap like welds on an exhaust because it's what they've read in the magazines. Freaking stupid magazines and sites like this where people can spread their misinformation to make a buck run this industry. It's amazing to me that people are worried about the welds on a $200 exhuast. Hell, a lot of race cars run parts that look worse than this because it's cheap and it works.

I mean it's an exhaust not a roll cage!

A exhaust is often the least precisely made of after market parts. That's because it JUST HAS TO FIT, as long as it fits good enough that it doesn't bang around and make a bunch of noise as your going down the road, and the muffler doesn't sound like complete crap who cares what it looks like. It's under your damn car! The only thing your ever going to see is that muffler, and at that price I'd be more concerned with it than anything else. The best exhaust for a turbo car, is practically no exhaust anyways. It looks to be a fairly straight exhuast flow so I'm sure it makes decent power. Hell, there's no more than 10whp difference in most aftermarket exhausts anyway. You could take that extra money and buy more mods and end up with more HP/$ in the end, which ain't bad if you ask me.

The FMIC is another story altogether, and on that one I agree with those who say don't go cheap. There is a lot more R&D going into a IC. Even so, you don't need to buy one unless you're running a gigantor turbo. All you're going to do is end up losing 200-300 RPM of spool if you put that thing on your car. And that is fact, I've witnessed it first hand. And without a larger turbo you don't need it.
Did you guys read this, back to what I said earlier, be quiet and listen (in this case read/comprehend) Another educated individual.

My father in-laws 1988 Caprice Classic still has the stock peice of shat exhaust on it, you know what, it works. Sure it is not Nickel plated carbon fibered depleated uranium titanuim alloy, and no it isn't 7-15lbs lighter than stock, but it works.

I have this on my 05. I had to make some adjustments around the T-case. Other than that, the welds are done by a machine, too precise for even the most experienced welder. The flanges are good and thick, pipe is thick, has a nice shine. Was a breeze to put on and dosn't sound like a weedeater. Good low tone. It does come with a silencer for those days you'd like some quiet travel. Packaged very well and really nice people. Would buy it again without hesitation. The FMIC Rallyred is right here. This is where you might want to look another direction. There has been some testing on this, now if it was biased testing or not can't confirm that. You want to try it and do some real world apples to apples unbiased testing, on a dyno of course, go for it. When your building a hot rod you go for what works, not a name. If you only bought name brand everyone would be rolling in $50/60,000 cars. Hope this helps, no offense intended. My 2cents.

Last edited by 04 evo; May 1, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old May 1, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for all the info. Does anyone have pics of this system installed on their EVO? I'm a little concerned about the muffler angle...

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried those $199 Ebay TBE's?