Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone tried those $199 Ebay TBE's?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried those $199 Ebay TBE's?

THese things are made (or maybe just sold) by SSAutochrome. One of the same companies that sells the now famous o2 housings. Not sure if this exhaust is simular to the megan racing unit but its less then $200 for a FULL TBE. that is a crazy price. As far as I'm concerned a pipe is a pipe so I was wondering if anyone has tried these out yet and what was the results?

here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...temZ8061155606

I also saw in their online store they have HUGE FMIC's with hardpipe kits claiming to flow 1200 cfm with only 1psi pressure loss for around the same price. These aren't the same tube & fin cores that are all over the place which are basically just cut down truck radiators. These things are actually 12x20x3 bar & plate cores! The end tanks don't look all that great but who knows...

here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPER...temZ8061706721

Any actual input is appreicated.

Last edited by AlwaysinBoost; May 1, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

if thats the XS power front mount its pretty decent, i no alot of people talk smack about it because its supposedly a replica of the AMS and they claim it doesnt make power but i have about 6 friends who are running it on there evo and devotuning actually tested it to make power, so for the monney i would pick it up.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$199 for a turbo-back exhaust...... and who says outsourcing to China is such a bad thing?
Old Apr 29, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

I bought all brand name parts for piece of mind but i really think that if they are good design built properly, will do the same job...and shops shouldn't bash on them without a proper test But then again I wouldn't put any of those ebay brand on my EVO...i had my share of horror aftermarket parts

Last edited by Emperor 4g63; Apr 29, 2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 09:39 PM
Account Disabled

from what I have heard they work pretty good, I personally would buy a used named brand over it but if money is an issue then go for it...
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
You get what you pay for. Weld quality, Chinese steel, fitment. Good luck with $200 exhaust on $30K+ car.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no flex section on the downpipe kind of sucks. The exhaust canister thing looks ugly but I guess for the price you could get that cut off and have a HKS welded on.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

"You get what you pay for. Weld quality, Chinese steel, fitment. Good luck with $200 exhaust on $30K+ car"

chinese quality isn't what it used to be. It's getting proven day after day, in many different areas. Chinese quality has made drastic improvements, even if it's selling for bargain prices. Don't be so quick to judge.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

It can't be any worse quality than those Fijitsubo pieces of crap, and a few others out there that I won't mention to avoid thread failure.

Heck I say give it a try. The only thing I'd be worried about is the apparent lack of a third hanger on the axle back section. All of the other exhausts I've seen have a hanger on the top of the muffler to help stability. A pipe is a pipe. I mean, you get what you pay for and it probably won't last a long as a "good" exhaust, but so what if it gets the job done and you can by three of these for the average price of all the other exhausts.

So buy buy buy, and take pictures and post them of what it looks like installed. Then let us know what sucks about it.

Last edited by RallyRedEVO; Apr 29, 2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always been wondering about those type of exhuast as well. Somebody go give it a try and report back!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

no way....

1st off...the fitment would most likely be terrible. I couldnt begin to imagine th hassle of putting one of those on.

2nd...the quality of the piece would most likely suck.. Welds especially.. I guess it could do the same thing, but it seems like its one of those things that you could get a good one, or a horrible one.

plus ower gains probably wouldnt be close to that of a professional built one.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

i know a guy that bought an ebay exhaust for 300 for whole tb the welds looked good but no flex and the exhaust sounded like poop. if that exhaust breaks ur screwed. atleast go wit megan. its cheap and the exhaust is good quality and they will stand behind their product.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I love how not even a single poster in this thread has anything to say they actually *know*, it's all "trust me it's gonna suck" or "friend of a friend of a friend tried it and it rocks". Who cares, unless you actually have personal experience with what you are talking about? "It's chinese therefore it's crap" - gimme a break, much of the so called name-brand stuff is made in china anyway.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:33 AM

yes, I too would prefer a used name-brand over a new ebay one.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only ever bought one item that I thought I was getting a "good deal". The intercooler pipping didn't fit, and upon further inspection I found a piece of metal hanging on by a strand on the inside of the piping that was about a 1" circle which I'm positive my motor would have loved to injest.

I'm a big believer in that in most cases you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried those $199 Ebay TBE's?