Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.

Hey guys,

Since my cusco twin disk carbon/carbon clutch lasted 3 years of horrible abuse I can't complain to much, but now that it is starting to slip in 4th gear I am thinking of upgrading.

Now I know for a fact I can buy a replacement set of two new carbon/carbon disks for my clutch.... but would it be possible to purchase 3 carbon/carbon disks and an extra idler disk and convert my setup over to a triple disk clutch?

Thanks for any help,

Keith
Old May 3, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not believe that is possible. I would assume you would need a new pressure plate assembly that is longer to allow more room for the extra clutch pac and floater disc.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Hey guys,

Since my cusco twin disk carbon/carbon clutch lasted 3 years of horrible abuse I can't complain to much, but now that it is starting to slip in 4th gear I am thinking of upgrading.

Now I know for a fact I can buy a replacement set of two new carbon/carbon disks for my clutch.... but would it be possible to purchase 3 carbon/carbon disks and an extra idler disk and convert my setup over to a triple disk clutch?

Thanks for any help,

Keith
Yes it is possible. Call Matt at coximports and he can get the parts for you. You need three new disks and BOTH idler disks. The twin disk clutch has a thick vented idler disk, the tripple has two thin solid idler disks.

From an engineering standpoint, the twin will generate and take more heat than a triple. There are less friction surfaces causing heat while slipping and there is more thermal mass to adsorb the heat and a better method for heat dissipation. The triple on the other hand will hold more torque (obviously) but will heat soak much easier under high-slip conditions due to less thermal mass and more friction area. I personally think the twin with the HD pressure plate is the better drag clutch of the two unless you're making more torque than the twin is rated to hold.

Here are the part numbers you need for the conversion and the catalog page from Exedy for your reference. These are 2005 part numbers for the C-Cover, I do not have the HD cover part number if you wanted to convert to an HD. I'm sure Matt has it though, but at that point you're buying so many parts the cost will be as much as a new HD clutch.

Twin Disk:

C. Cover - CM06S
P. Plate - PP02
IM Plate - IM01
Disk 1 - DM13DA
Disk 2 - DM13DB
F/W Ring - FR01
Flywheel - FM12
Bolt Set - BS01
Pvt. Ring - PR01

Triple:

C. Cover - CM06S
P. Plate - PP02
IM Plate 1 - IM02
IM Plate 2 - IM02
Disk 1 - DM15R
Disk 2 - DM15R
Disk 3 - DM15R
F/W Ring - FR01
Flywheel - FM12
Bolt Set - BS01
Pvt. Ring - PR01

That image is an edited excerpt from Exedy's Catalog.

Hope this helps Keith...

- Steve
Attached Thumbnails Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.-exedyparts.jpg  
Old May 4, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

That is some very good information there! I have read many times that the Cusco twin disk is identical to the Exedy, and in fact my Cusco also said Exedy on the clutch cover. Does the tripple disk Exedy also come with carbon/carbon disks as an alternative?

Thanks for the great help!

Keith
Old May 4, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Let me do some research and I'll get back to you. I'm not positive that you can turn a reg exedy into a carbon but I'll find out.... I have the Cusco twin as well btw.
Old May 4, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

In a word... no. The carbon/carbon clutches are different than the standard material clutches down to the last bolt.
Old May 4, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Cool.

Did you convert your Cusco to triple plate or did you just look into it out of curiosity?

Keith
Old May 4, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Looked out of curiosity. I will stay twin, but might look into the cost of getting an HD pressure plate. I have a feeling the cost of the disks + pp + machining will approach the cost of a new HD twin however....
Old May 8, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Everyone knows that the Cusco and Exedy are basicly the same clutch, and here is a PDF with the repair parts list for Cusco to compare to the the posted above for Exedy clutches:

http://www.cuscoracing.com/img/produ...pair-parts.pdf

CLUTCH COVER ASSY00C 022 CM06
PRESSER PLATE00C 022 PP02
CENTER PLATE00C 022 IM01
CLATCH DISK A00C 022 DM13A
CLATCH DISK B00C 022 DM13B
FLYWHEEL RING00C 022 FR01
FLYWHEEL00C 022 FM12
BOLTS SET00C 022 BS01
PIBOTRING00C 022 PR01
FW BOLTS SET
RELEASE BEARING660 BRG 602

And the Exedy clutch information:

C. Cover - CM06S
P. Plate - PP02
IM Plate - IM01
Disk 1 - DM13DA
Disk 2 - DM13DB
F/W Ring - FR01
Flywheel - FM12
Bolt Set - BS01
Pvt. Ring - PR01

So, the Cusco and Exedy parts list match, and the clutch cover, pressure plate, flywheel, bolt set, and pivot ring are identical between the Exedy twin disk and the Exedy triple disk.... this verifies that a Cusco twin disk CAN be converted into a triple disk by buying the three disks (three DM15R disks) and the two intermediate plates (two IM02 plates).

I have found at least two sources for triple plate parts and will be calling soon for price information.

Keith
Old May 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Keith, when you get pricing info let me know...
Old May 8, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Matt can source the twin plate disks for $250 each, so to just replace the stock twin disk with new disk would be $500 plus labor. For the triple disk conversion the disks are $220 each, and the idler disks are $110 each for a total of $880 plus labor.

Keith
Old May 8, 2006, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Fourdoor, (Keith)

You haven't listed your mods of the aproximate power you are making. Anyway, the fact that the Cusco lasted you 3 years of abuse is a good sign that is a great quality clutch kit.

I did some extensive research and I called most of the clutch manufacturers, here is the problem, I read that some people on this forum overkilled their setup by putting "too much of a clutch" for such simple mods, in other words, a triple disc clutch is not the best way to go for a stock car, neither a single clutch disc is the best option for a 700whp Evo, do you follow me?

I also read that one Evo owner had a faulty installation on his triple Exedy disc clutch causing it to only engage one disc efectively ultimately wearing out his clutch prematurely.

I hope I gave you an idea of some discrepancies you might find. Whatever the case might be, good luck, the Cusco seen to be a great choice anyway.

Carlos
Old May 8, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Buschur Racing stage 4 with AEM EMS, GT35R turbo, stage 3 head work, sheet metal intake manifold, coil on plug ignition, Alcohol injection. Making around 500 crank HP at low boost settings since I have stock rods and pistons at this point. Really considering the 2.3 stroker setup, but just doing rods and pistons would be a lot cheaper.

Keith
Old May 9, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Hey guys,

Talking to Matt, he informed me that there is a missprint on the translation from Japaness to English on the part numbers, instead of DM15R it should say DM11R for the clutch disks of the triple disk clutch. That would explain why the first place I checked with said the parts didn't exist

Keith
Old May 9, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

What this swap be applicable to the carbon setup also? I have an Exedy twin carbon, would I be able to upgrade to the triple carbon if choose to?

Quick Reply: Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.