Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

changing 10.5 hotside

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly No , I don't think you need to be re -tuned. Wait until you need to be tuned like cams , injectors , Fuel Pump , Intake . Hell do them all at once to save cash
Old May 3, 2006, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

I am already tuned with the mods in my sig. I just remember reading something a while back about the larger hotside messing with boost?!?! (correct me if I am wrong) AMS dyno tuned me with the ecu conrolling boost. The car spikes at 22lbs and tapers to 18-19lbs. I just don't want to spike any more than that!
Old May 3, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think you would be fine gauging from my situation . I would prolly wait for Warrtalon's word though he should be here soon, I taught him a nifty little trick earlier .

In honesty with no digs at Warr, I would go cams and wait till u get used to that and just upgrade to a larger yet streetable Turbo.
Old May 3, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Static, you're too worked up over this. There's no issue like that with installing a 10.5, but you really should have your own boost control so things like that are no worry anyway.

Get cams next - that's more useful than a 10.5 hotside.
Old May 3, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

I told myself that after the tune I was going to be done with building the car, but then little things like the larger hotside pop into my mind and i am like hmmmmmm! I am still waiting for Warr to comment though! I usually value his take on topics like this!
Old May 3, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Warr is an excellent Source of info as he has been around for a while and seen the topic being discussed in length. To get a better Idea of what I am talking about , Search and find the Old threads, there is tons of great positives and negatives in those threads. I Personally would go cams and deal with the issue of hotside later, By that time you will be thinking larger turbo anyway
Old May 3, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Warr! I agree with you on the boost controller!
Old May 3, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe this is way OT, however I have my flamesuit zipped up tight. On Buick GN's running Garrett T-04E´s the guys would switch between the.63 and the .82 exhaust housings. The .63 was faster spooling and was thus favored for the street. The .82 housing, on the other hand was favored by some at the track as it usually resulted in higher trapspeeds.

The looser turbine housing should result in lower EGT´s and reduced back pressure. I would think this would allow you to run more boost or timing advance safely on pump gas. On race gas maybe it wouldnt make that much of a difference....I dont know.

With the buicks if you went to the .82 housing you had to add fuel to optimize the tune. So, I imagine that with the Evo, as well, to maximize the benefit from the housing swap it would be good to get reflashed.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Maybe this is way OT, however I have my flamesuit zipped up tight. On Buick GN's running Garrett T-04E´s the guys would switch between the.63 and the .82 exhaust housings. The .63 was faster spooling and was thus favored for the street. The .82 housing, on the other hand was favored by some at the track as it usually resulted in higher trapspeeds.

The looser turbine housing should result in lower EGT´s and reduced back pressure. I would think this would allow you to run more boost or timing advance safely on pump gas. On race gas maybe it wouldnt make that much of a difference....I dont know.

With the buicks if you went to the .82 housing you had to add fuel to optimize the tune. So, I imagine that with the Evo, as well, to maximize the benefit from the housing swap it would be good to get reflashed.
No flamesuit needed, Its an interesting theory and could be right. I was tuned right after the install and I was under the impression from the tuner Dan that no tweaking was needed. Although , I could be incorrect as I was the one with the laptop
Old May 3, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

That seems like a good point!
Old May 4, 2006, 06:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... I've not seen anyone have less than positive results swapping from a 9.8 to 10.5 turbine housing... granted, no bands play, there are no "fireworks", but it is a mod you can "feel" on the road, and see on the dyno. However, I do agree that a good set of cams will definitely gain you more power.
Old May 4, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

$220 for hotside (I agree that usually this term refers to the whole hotside and not just the housing) vs $500+ for cams. I would say the gains are proportional to the $$$ you have to drop. Agree?
Old May 4, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, and that's if you get some very cheap cams. Btw, only get the single flapper hotside for $250, not the dual flapper...unless you found a single flapper 10.5 for $220 somewhere.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I actually got one from Blouch for $215 brand new!!!! Single flapper!!!! Props to Blouch!
Old May 4, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I think they have one left too....

Quick Reply: changing 10.5 hotside