Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need more Vacuum so it woun't stall LOOK

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more Vacuum so it woun't stall LOOK

For anyone running big cam’s with a lot of over lap on them this is what I found.
Run a radical cam and keep your power brakes.
One of our vacuum reservoirs will let you run power brakes with a radical, vacuum-robbing camshaft. Take your choice of our steel, satin aluminum, or polished aluminum reservoirs. The steel reservoirs come with a Summit-designed check valve and hardware. The aluminum reservoirs include black-oxide mounting bolts with milled aluminum covers, a machined hose fitting, and a hole drilled for one of our optional vacuum gauges. Brake hose is not included.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...01838&D=301838
Old May 11, 2006, 07:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, I've used vacuum pumps and reservoirs for years on muscle cars with big cams. Not sure how useful this would be on the evo considering our cams really aren't that radical (We still draw over 10 inches of vacuum with 280's) and alot can be addressed with some adjustment to idle speed.. But its a nice looking part and definitely works.
Old May 11, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Same here just thought i'd put it up there for anyone that might need the info.
Old May 11, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Those resevoirs are great. lets you left foot brake under boost
Old May 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

And you can run crazy cam settings with no worry of overlap.
Old May 11, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

i also saw this on summit's latest catalog, and was wondering if it would work on evos. might try it with the cheaper steel version. only problem is where to mount it, even though i dont have abs, still not alot of room a like a old muscle car.

anyone see noticed SSBC electric power brake kit? seems like a small unit and can be fitted anywhere, will this work?

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/...Pump+Kits&year=
Old May 11, 2006, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RRRS
i also saw this on summit's latest catalog, and was wondering if it would work on evos. might try it with the cheaper steel version. only problem is where to mount it, even though i dont have abs, still not alot of room a like a old muscle car.

anyone see noticed SSBC electric power brake kit? seems like a small unit and can be fitted anywhere, will this work?

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/...Pump+Kits&year=

I actually have that kit in my Malibu.. It works fantastic if you have no useful vacuum (or a good source for vacuum) Back in the day we'd just use an electric vacuum pump from a late 70's Caddy, I picked up the kit when I saw it on a street rodding magazine, and thought it was nicer than the used parts I was finding.

On the Evo, well, the reservoir might help a little if you do boost braking, but you only loose that vacuum assist when you pump the brakes, if your braking is smooth the booster will maintain assist for as long as you'd realistically need it.

And only the most radical cams have had any sort of vacuum problem, most of our street grinds won't be an issue, and if you've moved onto high lift with alot of overlap cams, well, you've already sacrificed drivability in other ways too..
Old May 11, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

so i take it this won't help my rev drop/stalling issues. it must be with my hks cams and the vacuum, i had my adjustable bov before the cams, and no matter how tight/soft i adjust it, it made no difference coming to a stop. after the cams, i stalled out everytime i slowed down to near idle, turns out my bov was too tight, i loosened alot and it really helped.

it still drops the rev sometimes to around 500rpm and stalls on certain occasions, and it scares the crap out of me(not fun stalling out in the middle of a hard left turn)
Old May 11, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
can someone explain what this is?
Old May 11, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RRRS
...it still drops the rev sometimes to around 500rpm and stalls on certain occasions, and it scares the crap out of me(not fun stalling out in the middle of a hard left turn)
Keep it in gear around those hard turns.

l8r)
Old May 11, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
or heel toe
Old May 11, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

well, it happened once, thought the rev drop was no biggie anymore, downshifted out of the corner, pedestrian pops out in between parked cars, mashed my brakes, revs dropped, car stops/stalls out, cars behind me was screeching and swerving.

that moment has burned into my brain, everytime my rpm goes low a drop of cold sweats trickles from my forehead. i would spend the cash to totally get rid of it.
Old May 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
EvoM Guru

These products will do nothing to prevent stalling.. It has alot to do with tihngs like aftermarket intake pipes, DV's, Tune, etc..
Old May 11, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

aw nuts