Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
It is probably an option on AEM CDI and standalone which is why he mentioned it. Vijay knows his ****, so it was worth looking into.
OH yeah, I wasn't trying to be a smartass or doubt him, I just found it funny.

As far as disabling the multiple spark that has to do with the DIS2 box itself, and in the instructions I find nothing newhere on the ability to do it

Just talked to AEM as well and they said that I do not need the ignitor at all, that the MSD box should be able to get direct signal from the EMS and fire off of that...however I could not get it to work initially w/out the ignitor...
Old May 12, 2006, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExViTermini
OH yeah, I wasn't trying to be a smartass or doubt him, I just found it funny.

As far as disabling the multiple spark that has to do with the DIS2 box itself, and in the instructions I find nothing newhere on the ability to do it

Just talked to AEM as well and they said that I do not need the ignitor at all, that the MSD box should be able to get direct signal from the EMS and fire off of that...however I could not get it to work initially w/out the ignitor...
As far as i knew .. you did need the ignitor .. if not you would have to switch jumpers on the motherboard of the aem, for your rising and falling edge triggers. The cdi you dont need to do it. I would call msd ... they will tell you .. you need an ignitor .. AEM told me yest ..you do as well. Dont know who you talked to

mark
turbotrix
Old May 12, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
As far as i knew .. you did need the ignitor .. if not you would have to switch jumpers on the motherboard of the aem, for your rising and falling edge triggers. The cdi you dont need to do it. I would call msd ... they will tell you .. you need an ignitor .. AEM told me yest ..you do as well. Dont know who you talked to

mark
turbotrix
The guy honestly did not sound very bright...I think I caught him off guard with my question even. I'm going to change plugs, and try it see what happens. Then I'm going to bypass plug the MSD and see what happens, if still nothing I will add a tiny bit of fuel and see what happens.

Just trying to get it right so you guys don't have any problems when I get up there for you to tune the 50 trim.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:44 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
did you get it worked out with the msd dis2?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
did you get it worked out with the msd dis2?
nope, its all for sale if you know anyone who wants it....make a smokin deal its barely used...

It works great under power, and fine everywhere else, just on a VERY light throttle at cruise it has a small miss. Tried different coils and stuff...who knows.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Did you try the bypass plug for the MSD to see if it went away?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:05 PM
Account Disabled

i was under the impression that this could be made to work? What does the bypass plug do? I was told by a very reputable source that "MSD box won’t fire on the correct trigger edge" whatever that means....lol
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

We use the MSD DIS-2 box on our car without any problems. I was just wondering if he ever tired to use the bypass plug to fix the slight misfire at cruising.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

i was under the impression that this could be made to work? What does the bypass plug do? I was told by a very reputable source that "MSD box won’t fire on the correct trigger edge" whatever that means....lol
The MSD's are set up to fire on a rising edge trigger, but the Evo is a falling edge trigger.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

i was told that you can have the AEM reworked to switch the triggers....
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

i was told that you can have the AEM reworked to switch the triggers....
I wouldn't bother with having the AEM EMS re-worked to have it work with an MSD CDI. Just get a CDI that you can switch between falling edge or rising edge ignition triggers. Or add the additional items like the tach adaptor and dsm ignitor to get the MSD to work.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kcevo
I wouldn't bother with having the AEM EMS re-worked to have it work with an MSD CDI. Just get a CDI that you can switch between falling edge or rising edge ignition triggers. Or add the additional items like the tach adaptor and dsm ignitor to get the MSD to work.
Why would you need a tach adapter?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

i think i might just sell the msd dis2 and run another cdi setup i have available with the items i have already for the COP.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Why would you need a tach adapter?
Here's the info from the MSD DIS instruction manual.

IGNITION ADAPTERS
If your vehicle does not operate correctly or if you experience a no-run situation you probably
need an MSD Ignition Adapter.
Some vehicles with electronic fuel injection systems may require an MSD Ignition Adapter to run
properly. This is because many of these systems use the same trigger source to operate the MSD,
the tachometer and the fuel injection. This results in a voltage signal that is too low to accurately
trigger the fuel injection. If your vehicle’s engine starts and then shuts off after a short period of time
or the check engine light turns on then your vehicle will require an Ignition Adapter. An MSD
Ignition Adapter, PN 8912, PN 89121 or PN 8917 will usually remedy the problem.
The chart below lists most of the vehicles that require an Ignition Adapter. It is very important that
the Adapter(s) be installed at the same time that the DIS Ignition is installed to prevent activation of
the check engine light. On OBD II equipped vehicles resetting of the check engine light requires
special computer diagnostic equipment. On vehicles not listed install the DIS Ignition before
purchasing the Adapter, to see if the ignition will operate properly without the Adapter(s).
INSTALLING THE PN 8912 IGNITION ADAPTER
The number of adapters required is determined by the number of cylinders on the engine. Four
cylinder engines will require one Adapter, 6 and 8 - cylinders require two. Attach the PN 8912
Adapter as shown in Figure 14.
If you still experience problems after installing the adapters, call the MSD Customer Service
Department for further instruction.
VEHICLE ADAPTER QTY REQUIRED
Mitsubishi Eclipse, Galant, Mirage, Montero, Precis, Expo 8912 1
Eagle Talon, Summit 8912 1
Dodge Avenger, Neon, Stratus, Caravan 8912 1
2003-On 8917
Chrysler Sebring, Cirrus 8912 1
Plymouth Breeze, Voyager, Acclaim, Colt, Sundance, Laser 8912 1
Ford V8 Coil-Per-Cylinder Ignitions, '99-On 89121 4
(Two DIS-4 Ignitions are required)
Ford V8 Coil Pack Ignitions, '96-'98 8912 2
NOTE: Saturn will require one Cam Sync Adapter, PN 8914.
WARNING: The MSD Digital DIS Series Ignitions are capacitive discharge ignitions. High voltage
is present at the coil primary terminals. Do not touch the coil or connect test
equipment to the terminals.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

i think i might just sell the msd dis2 and run another cdi setup i have available with the items i have already for the COP.
What spark plugs were you using with the CBR coils? There is only one plug I have found to use with these as you have to unsrew the top off of it to work with the coil.

Quick Reply: MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...