Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my test drive didnt go so well. Car has great power under accelleration, but cruising at hwy speeds, the car surges/misses. I can feel the car missing. Only strange thing i can see is IGN #1 Charge Loc and IGN #2 Charge loc are way off from each other. I thought they should be the same.........now ime really lost..........
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Try disabling the multi-spark
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

i did that out on the highway and nothing.........why would coil 1 and coil 2 be reading way different values???
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
and the plot thickens....

what is your plug gap?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
i did that out on the highway and nothing.........why would coil 1 and coil 2 be reading way different values???
They should as they are going to fire at different teeth locations than one another.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

the iridiums are gapped at .030 or so. I left them as they were out of the box. They ran fine on the stock coils. I have the red 2 wires from the twin fire going to the white/red striped wire on the harness. I have coil3 and coil 4 going to the solid black on the same harness and the other black/striped are the ing triggers. Maybe i need to ground coil3 and 4 to the battery........
Old Jun 13, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the breakdown on what to do (Too many posts to read):

WITH:

DSM Ignitor & 300m coils -> Use "Dodge Viper" settings in AEM
With CDI or ignition Amp -> Use "All CDI except Ford TFI" settings in AEM

DSMotorsports modded his with just the Ignitor and stock DSM coils and had good luck (30+ psi w/ nitrous = no misfire)

I currently have DSM Ignitor and Coils and will try them out at the track shortly. Before this ignition mod my ignition would break up @ ~29psi gapped at .24 Ill see what happens with this setup now.

I also have a set of 300m coils which I will most likely be using shortly just because its bling Ill post how those work out as well once I get them installed. I gotta make myself a little plate still to mount them which is why I am not using them yet.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, you do not need to tach adapter. It does not do anything for us. I believe if your coils are from a 1990 (only) DSM then I am pretty sure you do need the tach adapter when using the MSD.

And lastly, here is a diagram on how to set-up COP with DSM ignitor:

Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

well, i think ive funally given up on my little experement. 300m coils with the twin fire. What a pain. I just dont have anymore time to devote to it. I even wired it from a series to parallel and it idles fine this way too. and Misfires everywhere else. Cant get AEM on the phone. I guess ill be stuck with 25 PSI max boost.......................any last minute suggestions?????
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditch the twinfire.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Ditch the twinfire.
And why? Is there any reasoning behind it?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

O.k. i just bout the whole 1st gen setup at the junk yard. Both coils, harness, ignitor for 100 bucks. NOW, can i use the twinfire with the DSM coils???? Or should i just use the ignitor with the DSM coils???? Or try both???? Ray
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

AND which terminal on the DSM coils is the positive?? Thanks Ray
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Ditch the twinfire and use the DSM coil and ignitor as noted below:

<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~ = Wire Connection

* = Connect into the Engine Harness wire after the merge, Both coils Power and Ground are merged into one wire in the Engine harness.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

PTU Yellow with Black Stripe ~~ Coil Yellow with Black Stripe

PTU Yellow with Green Stripe ~~ Coil Yellow with Green Stripe

PTU Thick Black with White Stripe ~~ *Coil Thick Black with White Stripe ~~ EVO Ignition Engine Harness + Switch Power (Thick

White with Red Stripe) in the engine hanress

PTU Thin solid Black wire ~~ *EVO Ignition Engine Harness Ground (Thick Solid Black) in the engine harness

PTU Thin Solid Yellow wire (IB1) ~~ EVO Ignition Coil 1 Signal (Thin Black with Blue Stripe) in the engine harness

PTU Thin Yellow with Red Stripe wire (IB2) ~~ EVO Ignition Coil 2 Signal (Thin Black with Yellow Stripe) in the engine harness

Ignition Plug Wires are connected as normal noted below, just be sure to connect the correct wire to the right coil plug and

not in direct 1234 order.

Coil #1
--------
Cylinder 1 and Cylinder 4

Coil #2
--------
Cylinder 2 and Cylinder 3
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

o.k. well here are my 92 DSM coil set up as suggested. I must say, it fired right up and had no issues so far. Might do the dyno next week. Hardest part was getting those plug wired made. PITA!!!! Anyways the instructions from the previus post were spot on. Thanks for your help. I am selling the twin fire and 300 coils and plate. The parts are good, i could just never found out why it was missing. I wanted to use the DSM ignitor with the twin fire, just ran out of patience. But it had to be somthing simple. Here are the pics..... Ray
Attached Thumbnails MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...-wires1.jpg   MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...-wires2.jpg   MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...-wires3.jpg   MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...-wires4.jpg   MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...-wires5.jpg  

Quick Reply: MSD DIS-2, CBR coils, DSM ignitor...