Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006 | 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the works was just way to much money.
Lastnight I won the bidding on an ss autochrome (ebay)
For $54 and 15 whp, you can't go wrong
Old May 14, 2006 | 10:23 AM

Question

I noticed a similar thing about the stock gasket used on the O2 housing as compared to the gasket shipped with the SS auto-chrome (ebay) housing. The stock gasket did not create a seal between the two sections even though the stock housing is divided. The SS auto-chrome gasket was not great quality but it creates a seal on the division line. I find this interesting…

I took the advice from a few folks here and re-used my stock gasket as I was worried that other material may fail (it did seem rather cheap)... If you have done this install you may agree with me in not wanting to have to change that anytime soon!

Anyway, my thoughts were that the stock gasket allows a small amount of flow between the waste gate dump area and the actual turbo exhaust outlet. Anyone else notice/consider this with the stock setup???

I would suspect there is some turbulence created here, but I trusted Mitsu on this (not being an automotive engineer myself) and figured using stock gasket would do the same with the SS housing as it did with the stock 02 housing so I ground it a tad to fit and re-used it...

I think the Works part looks really nice, I bet there are good gains with it. Seems like the Works housing follows the stock gasket form at least!

I would love to hear from David and others as to why the stock gasket is like when both parts being joined are divided...

Thanks!

Last edited by cdavy; May 14, 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old May 14, 2006 | 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

I have had the Works on my car for over a year now. I have talked to some people on the divorced vs. open design. When you're at WOT, how open is the wastegate? When you're running almost 20 psi stock, what percentage of the time do you think the wastegate spends open? That's the question you need to ask yourself. I think it comes down to theory vs application. Regardless of what you believe, the opening to the downpipe of the Works is still the biggest on the market.
Old May 14, 2006 | 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I have had the Works on my car for over a year now. I have talked to some people on the divorced vs. open design. When you're at WOT, how open is the wastegate? When you're running almost 20 psi stock, what percentage of the time do you think the wastegate spends open? That's the question you need to ask yourself. I think it comes down to theory vs application. Regardless of what you believe, the opening to the downpipe of the Works is still the biggest on the market.
Theory vs Application is interesting, but... the focus of the discussion comes down to overall power at WOT, which is when the wastegate is open and the open design COULD lead to a loss in power from the turbulence. However, until this is proven via a dyno vs lets say the Invidia or Ebay, we wont know. Hopefully Dave B. will do it. Until then, I think we're just going to get everyone coming here and saying "I think it will hurt" and "I think it wont". I hate speculation
Old May 14, 2006 | 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, the wastegate flow isn't the issue, it's the flow from the turbine. The idea is to not have a rough transition for the exhaust once it exits the wheel so as to not stall the airflow.
Old May 14, 2006 | 11:19 AM

Also notice that WORKS doesn't have any dyno numbers with their O2 housing despite all the R&D they did.
Old May 14, 2006 | 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah but who trust's vendor dynos anyway LOL
Old May 14, 2006 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

This is old news. Id love to see a Works vs. Invidia test done. My money would be on the Invidia piece because of the seperation and previous tests showing no gains between a 2.5" and 3.0" ID o2 housing.
Old May 14, 2006 | 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
Also notice that WORKS doesn't have any dyno numbers with their O2 housing despite all the R&D they did.

Precisely. They talked it up pretty good, but never posted the numbers. I wonder why?
Old May 14, 2006 | 11:42 AM

I don't think I have seen much in terms of dyno sheets from them on any of their parts, just estimations. I have some Works parts and they seem to be good quality and work well for what they are (air filter and t-body).

Good point on the dyno thing, not sure why anyone would do all that R&D and not have the numbers. They must have tested this and have numbers… Maybe it's just too subjective to post public figures in their opinion? Not defending, just seen too many vendors that have posted dyno “proof” get slammed here…
Old May 14, 2006 | 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
Precisely. They talked it up pretty good, but never posted the numbers. I wonder why?
That's right. Works has built their reputation on being shady and underhanded

SOme people on this board have nothing better to do that throw crap around and hope it sticks. Get a life.
Old May 14, 2006 | 02:34 PM

For the record, I am not saying negative things about WORKS. I respect them and use their stuff with good results. I can honestly understand not posting dyno results to this crowd...
Old May 14, 2006 | 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

WORKS is one of the many great Vendors
available in the Evo community. Obviously there are many choices.

I'm willing to put the WORKS O2 housing
on my Evo, along with a setup similar to thier TR340 package.

My needs are a reliability, longevity, stealth and the ability to pass California emissions.

If I can get a realistic daily driven 280 to 300 awhp, Then I can call it a day.

Last edited by Spec'd; May 14, 2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old May 14, 2006 | 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

what's this ?

Old May 14, 2006 | 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
That's right. Works has built their reputation on being shady and underhanded

SOme people on this board have nothing better to do that throw crap around and hope it sticks. Get a life.

Where in the world did you get shady and underhanded from what I said? Maybe you should get off their nuts and learn some reading comprehension. I stated facts- period. Unless you know about some super secret dyno charts that no one else does, shush.

Quick Reply: Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing