Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing

Well, I read many post about O2 housings, I read the 15whp Buschur dyno test on their Ebay O2 housing, I also seen my friends Helix 02 housing and I recently read the article about the new Invidia O2 housing.

My question is: Have you guys noticed that the Works 02 housing has no middle separating wall between the waste gate and the exhaust turbine exhaust flow?

Ask any Subaru owner and they will tell you that the number one rule for a downpipe on a Subaru WRX/STI has to be a divorce donwpipe or bellmouth design.

Here I am attaching some pics on my Works O2 housing which is going to be installed tomorrow morning. Please take a look and share ideas. I was under the impression that a middle separating wall will give you less turbulence aiding the exhaust flow to gain velocity.

PIC# 5 shows Invidia 02 Housing

just my .2c

Carlos
Attached Thumbnails Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing-img_0306-3-.jpg   Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing-img_0303.jpg   Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing-img_0307.jpg   Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing-img_0308.jpg   Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing-invidia-02-housing.jpg  

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 13, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old May 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a different piocture from another big vendor/manufacturer, Megan racing 02 Housing. Again, the subject here is the separating flow wall.

Pic # 1 Megan Racing
Pic #2 Buschur 02 Housing

Thanks for your comments

Carlos
Attached Thumbnails Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing-megan-racing-o2-hosuing.jpg   Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing-buschur-02-housing.jpg  

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 13, 2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Are you guys following me? does it make sense?

Carlos
Old May 13, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Well, I read many post about O2 housings, I read the 15whp Buschur dyno test on their Ebay O2 housing, I also seen my friends Helix 02 housing and I recently read the article about the new Invidia O2 housing.

My question is: Have you guys noticed that the Works 02 housing has no middle separating wall between the waste gate and the exhaust turbine exhaust flow?

Ask any Subaru owner and they will tell you that the number one rule for a downpipe on a Subaru WRX/STI has to be a divorce donwpipe or bellmouth design.

Here I am attaching some pics on my Works O2 housing which is going to be installed tomorrow morning. Please take a look and share ideas. I was under the impression that a middle separating wall will give you less turbulence aiding the exhaust flow to gain velocity.

PIC# 5 shows Invidia 02 Housing

just my .2c

Carlos
You either have a small hand or a BIG 02 housing.

I would like to know the same thing, being that I am seriously
considering the WORKS O2 housing.

Old May 13, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

I had the helix o2 housing, but never got a chance to install it.. so I sold it off 8-x... Now I am trying to purchase another one sooner or later. I been hearing much about this ebay o2 housing and works one as well... I checked on ebay and couldn't exactly find it, what do I have to type in the search?? I only saw stock o2 housings.. As for the works o2, let me know how it feels/dynonumbers once ya get it installed 8- )
Old May 13, 2006, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
You either have a small hand or a BIG 02 housing.

I would like to know the same thing, being that I am seriously
considering the WORKS O2 housing.

LOL, actually that was Evo9girl hand inside the O2 housing, she has tiny hands, my hands are huge.

Yeah, back to the subject, it makes me wonder why Works is the only manufacturer making this O2 housing withouth the wall. It is kind of odd.

I can only assume they know what they are doing , these guys(Works) spent well over a year testing this housing on the bench and laboratory. I am looking forward to see the results on the dyno. However it is a mistery to me that only Works sells this type of design..

Carlos
Old May 13, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Most likely WORKS will eventually have some information about the open plenum design on thier O2 housing design.

Good for: top end ? mid range ? low end ? faster turbo spoolage ?

Last edited by Spec'd; May 13, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

It would be good if one of the moderators could move
this thread in the Vendor disscussion. This way WORKS can maybe chime in on monday.

Old May 14, 2006, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

how far down does the separation need to be?? the hotside of the turbo also acts as a separator for the wastegate and the turbine wheel. there was a thread about it awhile ago getting into the dynamics of exhaust flow.

WORKS-great piece with the durability of a stock piece, but $$$
Invidia-great piece also, but unproven yet.
Ebay and the like(aka Helix, etc.)-proven 10-15hp, increased spool, but only 2.5in outlet. no provision for stock heat shield.

is it better to have cast iron like the WORKS or the stainless piece?? how about just porting the stock piece?? which retains heat better?? will the tubular O2 housings crack over time?? none have provisions for stock heat shield other than the WORKS. WORKS also retains factory O2 location and heat shield.

main focus is the flow characteristics of each which no one has provided on any scale to compare each. the only proven two are WORKS and EBAY types. they have not been compared together ON STOCK CARS. most tests have been with other mods on the cars. someone should donate one of each to BUSCHUR or any tuner to dyno back to back to back. it is some work to do, but the results will show of each.

Old May 14, 2006, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting. We ordered one of the Indivia housings on Friday to perform some testing on it next week. As you said it is divided. I personally feel it should be divided.

I was going to have the guys order a Works housing too but could not find a picture of it that showed whether or not it was divided. I'd like to test that part on the dyno, want to send me yours? I'd only have it 2-3 days maximum and pay shipping both ways.

Also, the housing pictured as ours in post #2, just to clarify is a ported and ceramic coated stock housing that we sell and not the SS housing that we also sell.
Old May 14, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fareastkorean
I had the helix o2 housing, but never got a chance to install it.. so I sold it off 8-x... Now I am trying to purchase another one sooner or later. I been hearing much about this ebay o2 housing and works one as well... I checked on ebay and couldn't exactly find it, what do I have to type in the search?? I only saw stock o2 housings.. As for the works o2, let me know how it feels/dynonumbers once ya get it installed 8- )
evo dump pipe

search that and there are currently 3 auctions available
Old May 14, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I bet the Ebay/Invidia will make more than Works for that reason. Id like Buschur to prove it though LOL. Plus, id love to see Ebay vs/ Invidia
Old May 14, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Interesting. We ordered one of the Indivia housings on Friday to perform some testing on it next week. As you said it is divided. I personally feel it should be divided.

I was going to have the guys order a Works housing too but could not find a picture of it that showed whether or not it was divided. I'd like to test that part on the dyno, want to send me yours? I'd only have it 2-3 days maximum and pay shipping both ways.

Also, the housing pictured as ours in post #2, just to clarify is a ported and ceramic coated stock housing that we sell and not the SS housing that we also sell.
Thanks for your offer, unfortunately the O2 housing will go in within the next 2 hours.
At this time I would like to announced that you guys(Buschur Racing ) are one of the very few shops that actually spend the time and money to test and compare not only your own products but also the competitors. That reflect on you as a always improving shop that wants to give the customer the best tested product.

I am taking the hit on this one just like I did when I bougth the Nisei intercooler, someone has to break the ice first I guess that will be me. I did my own purchase, install and dyno comparison then I sold it.

I will be taking the car to the dyno next week and I will be showing you the improvements (if any).

Again, thanks David Buschur for the offer, it was nice from you.

Carlos
Old May 14, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt the divorce in the pipe is going to free up that much power vs the divorced piece, for the longest time Subaru owners swore by bell mouth design until the people with HKS downpipes were making roughly the same power with a huge plate blocking the wastegate. I think just as long as there is more room/smoothness inside the o2 housing its going to flow better (ie: better then stock) but seeing a few hp from the works vs ebay one is going to be tough imo.
Old May 14, 2006, 10:05 AM

I was always told to have divorce.. id like to see some numbers afterwards..

Quick Reply: Very interesting observation on Works 3" 02 housing