Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Not very impressed with Buschur's mini battery kit.

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian_H
Nothing some high gloss spraypaint, stickers and a bodykit can't make up for.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blah i don't see why people really use these mini batteries. i'd rather just put it in the back of the car and use a nice optima battery. unless you're dragging the car the little weight you save is hardly worth it..

plus if you're doing something to your car and have the door open and forget the dome light is on theres no battery left. also what if you have a good alarm system and the car sits for awhile. the alarms not going off unless it has a back-up power supply. and i know when i have to disconnect the battery it's always annoying when the radio resets. and if you're putting a system in the car it's a lot easier if it's in the back as well.
Old May 15, 2006, 03:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
If you occasionally use a trickle charger with the mini battery, you won't have any problems. I have a Battery Tender for AGM batteries and my Buschur battery has been going since July 2003. There has been one time when it wouldn't start because I had gone about 3 mos. through the winter without charging it. I have a Hawker EP16 in my other car and use the same charger with it. That battery is 3+ years old.
Old May 15, 2006, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Buschur posted here recently that his Mini Battery Kits were redesigned to work with the stock airbox. That being the case, it should fit perfectly.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=196377

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Third, battery kits. I designed out battery kit the first few months the EVO was released. We've sold literally hundreds of them. They work well but have some down falls. Also with some of the other kits out there I have to admit ours was not on par as far as "prettiness". Well I had been working on an idea to make ours the best and came up with what I feel is just that. The kits are completely finished, instock and ready to ship. We should have pictures up on our site and I or someone at the shop will try to post one here. Some of the details. The complete battery kits are $225, same price as before. This is the complete new tray and battery. Also, the new tray allows you to keep the factory airbox if you want to. It also allows the use of our upper i/c pipe while retaining the factory airbox. The new tray has a flat panel that covers the entire engine side of the battery. This panel allows mounting of our new CDI box for our coil on plug ignition. You can also mount your oil catch cans to it, boost controller or anything else you want. VERY-VERY sweet.
Judging from that, it should work with the factory airbox and look good, judging from some opinions in this thread it doesnt, but I'd like to see some pictures first before making that judgement call.

- Steve

P.S. - To the people posting as to "why" do a mini battery?? It's weight savings....

Last edited by SuperHatch; May 15, 2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old May 15, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff
I think it looks great. Buschurs products are PROVEN to make power.

Yeah a mini battery has been proven to make power, are you getting payed for this?

Scorke
Old May 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Richard Sierra
The stock airbox does not fit very well. I was only able to get one of the two bolts in. The front bolt is a good 1/4" off. This is with the battery shoved all the way back and grinding about an 1/8" off the aluminum tray.

It also has a lot of sharp edges that look like they could chafe the wiring harness that rubs the tray. I expected a lot more from Buschur for $225.00.
How long ago was this kit purchased? Was it purchased new from us?

We have been using our new design mini battery kit for a little while now without any problems. It does work with the stock airbox. Our old style mini battery kit does not. If this was purchased brand new from us and is still in NEW condition you can return the kit for a full refund if you are not happy. Just call before you return it so I can issue you an RA#.

Is this the kit that you have?

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
I'm glad to hear someone else thinks they are junk. I've personally installed 3 of them and none of them fit for ****.

I'm surprised their aren't more people yelling and screaming(the ones that ride Buschur's nuts.)
I am not quite sure what is being done wrong with the installs that you are doing. We install these pretty much on a daily basis without issues. It is very rare for us to get any calls about fitment issues. If we do it is due to something that is being done incorrectly and the problem is resolved easily and quickly. As I said and also as it was stated on our website... the old style mini battery kit would NOT work with the stock airbox. I guess before you start bashing the fitment you should get a little background info on the product before installation and also make sure your mechanical skills are up to par to handle this caliber of an install.

Jarrod
Buschur Racing Inc.
Old May 15, 2006, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scorke
Yeah a mini battery has been proven to make power, are you getting payed for this?

Scorke
He was not saying the mini battery makes power. The comment he made was directed at the comment made here
Originally Posted by anjapower
but then again, none of their parts give off a high quality look.
Jarrod
Buschur Racing Inc.
Old May 15, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
How long ago was this kit purchased? Was it purchased new from us?

We have been using our new design mini battery kit for a little while now without any problems. It does work with the stock airbox. Our old style mini battery kit does not. If this was purchased brand new from us and is still in NEW condition you can return the kit for a full refund if you are not happy. Just call before you return it so I can issue you an RA#.

Is this the kit that you have?

I am not quite sure what is being done wrong with the installs that you are doing. We install these pretty much on a daily basis without issues. It is very rare for us to get any calls about fitment issues. If we do it is due to something that is being done incorrectly and the problem is resolved easily and quickly. As I said and also as it was stated on our website... the old style mini battery kit would NOT work with the stock airbox. I guess before you start bashing the fitment you should get a little background info on the product before installation and also make sure your mechanical skills are up to par to handle this caliber of an install.

Jarrod
Buschur Racing Inc.
The ones that I have been installing are your first generation kits. The bolt holes for the chassis bolts(The two 12mm bolts) were usually off and made the bracket sit twisted. All of the cars I worked on did not retain the stock airbox, so there was no issue there with me. Its just frustrating when you go to put the bolts in and the damn wholes are way off.

I've installed many products from you, including downpipes to full turbokits, quite frankly and I'm sorry but I felt the products left some to be desired. The last downpipe I insalled was on a 2g AWD and it was hitting the transfer case and everywhere else.

I do have to say that I have been very happy with my full TBE however. The only issues I had with it was getting it lined up properly but that only takes a few minutes of course, and is not an uncommon problem. Its all in the nature of the design, which I personaly like, besides the fact that the clamps have gone to leaking over time. Chances are I just need to get unlazy and tighten them however.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
The ones that I have been installing are your first generation kits. The bolt holes for the chassis bolts(The two 12mm bolts) were usually off and made the bracket sit twisted. All of the cars I worked on did not retain the stock airbox, so there was no issue there with me. Its just frustrating when you go to put the bolts in and the damn wholes are way off.

I've installed many products from you, including downpipes to full turbokits, quite frankly and I'm sorry but I felt the products left some to be desired. The last downpipe I insalled was on a 2g AWD and it was hitting the transfer case and everywhere else.

I do have to say that I have been very happy with my full TBE however. The only issues I had with it was getting it lined up properly but that only takes a few minutes of course, and is not an uncommon problem. Its all in the nature of the design, which I personaly like, besides the fact that the clamps have gone to leaking over time. Chances are I just need to get unlazy and tighten them however.
Thats the first I have heard of the holes not being correct and we have not had a problem with them here for the installs. I have done a couple of these myself without any issues. I know if there was a install problem with ANYTHING that Daniel (David's brother) who heads our service department would be the first one to say something and he has had no complaints.

As for the install on a 2G downpipe... alot of other companies systems do not work well with our DSM stuff. If the catback, HFC or ORP were pulling the downpipe this would make it do what you are saying.

Glad you are happy with your exhaust tho. Have you been tightening the clamps with an impact? A ratchet and socket will not tighten them the way they need to be tightened.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thats the first I have heard of the holes not being correct and we have not had a problem with them here for the installs. I have done a couple of these myself without any issues. I know if there was a install problem with ANYTHING that Daniel (David's brother) who heads our service department would be the first one to say something and he has had no complaints.

As for the install on a 2G downpipe... alot of other companies systems do not work well with our DSM stuff. If the catback, HFC or ORP were pulling the downpipe this would make it do what you are saying.

Glad you are happy with your exhaust tho. Have you been tightening the clamps with an impact? A ratchet and socket will not tighten them the way they need to be tightened.
Who knows, maybe it was just a fluke....

The 2g had stock cat and a Thermal exhaust.

Yeah, I only use impact on those clamps...I don't have the time for a ratchet and socket and as you said it won't get them tight enough.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
P.S. - To the people posting as to "why" do a mini battery?? It's weight savings....
Not only weight savings but it also frees up a ton of space in the engine bay which is nice. (It also allows you to run a more straight UICP).
Old May 15, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
relax there. for that kind of money it should not be a problem. that is y i went with nisei's mini batt kit.
nisei's is perfect huh? i needa get ridda my 60 buck knock off and talk to kevin.
Old May 15, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

the old style mini battery kit would NOT work with the stock airbox. I guess before you start bashing the fitment you should get a little background info on the product before installation and also make sure your mechanical skills are up to par to handle this caliber of an install.
I would say it is the responsibility of the part manufacturer to meet the customer at least halfway, in detailing which of their own parts are going to be incompatible with an otherwise stock vehicle.

Here is an archive of your Evo intake/exhaust parts page from June 2004, when you were still selling the 1gen battery kit.

http://web.archive.org/web/200406030....cgi?18X376545

Notice there is no mention of stock air box incompatibility.

Here is an archive of the same page from March 2005, for the same old-style kit.

http://web.archive.org/web/200503090....cgi?18X376545

Notice there is no mention of stock air box incompatibility (although there is an upsell for the UICP!)

I purchased this kit in 2004 new from Buschur and discovered it was not compatible with my car because I was not running an aftermarket intake like Buschur's. When I called to discuss the issue I was offered their intake to buy. I ended up selling the kit to a fellow in Socal who was running an open intake. Fast forward 9 months from my purchase and I guess new buyers were still expected to "research" that the part they were buying required other Buschur parts first.
Old May 15, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I saw the Buschur installed on a friend's car, fitment looked good. I just dont like the color scheme, I went with Nisei for the mini-battery (all black).
Old May 15, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Well all I can say is you should have gone with the Nisei kit.....Dollar for Dollar and looks...
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...products_id=85
http://www.myevostore.com/product_in...20bdcdcb5a5177

Quick Reply: Not very impressed with Buschur's mini battery kit.