Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need help stat plz! Seeking Expert advice

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help stat plz! Seeking Expert advice

So the short of it (sorry for the mild cross post but its a new major issue):

Heard a noise from the engine bay, took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as "the timing belt and balance belt were rubbing against the crankshaft blade." They replaced the crankshaft blade b/c it was defective and gave me a new timing belt and balance belt. Great, issue supposedly solved.

Get in the car yesterday and drove it not more then 100ft when it through a CEL (Service Engine Soon light). Took it back and left it w/ them.

I get a call from them this morning and its the Service Mgr saying that the CEL was a "False Misfire" and that it supposedly came about b/c the battery was disconnected for so long.

I personally have never heard of a False Misfire...it either misfired or it didnt, and I sure as heck havent heard of a car poppin a CEL b/c the battery was unhooked. I mean they did replace the timing belt...and I wouldnt be surprised if its all connected to the original issue.

However, before I take this up a notch I wanted to get some other knowledgable inputs. Has anyone ever heard of this? This never happened when I disconnected the batteries from my other car. Anyone hear of a False Misfire?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

If the crank blade was damaging the belts, maybe it damaged the crank angle sensor too (causing the CEL).
Old May 18, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

when my car was fixed after a hit and run the battery was disconnected for roughly a month. after they fixed it and i went to pick up the car they told me it was still messing up and driving AWEFULLY and throwing a CEL. i go to look at it, drive it around and the thing feels like a$$ with a big glowing CEL. they wanted to drop it at a mitsu dealer to get it diagnosed. i called around and my dad told me that sometimes if the battery is disconnected for a long time, then weird things can happen. (not sure if thats true). He also told me to unhook the battery for five-ish minutes and try again. did just that and everything was perfect and drove the car home from the body shop and it's been fine since...
Old May 18, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

If the crank blade was damage it would of flaged a code right away on start up. It only takes 3 improper actions of the motor to throw the misfire code. It could be anything , because u could not verfiy the problem there is no telling what the dealers see's.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:03 AM

Well they replaced all those parts, and upon starting the car and running it for a not more then 100ft it threw the CEL.

The battery couldnt have been disconnected for more then a day or so...I'm just surprised it would cause an issue.

A false Misfire though...never heard of that.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've never heard of either a false mis or the battery causing a CEL if being disconnected for a day.

Was the car's performance different before or after throwing the last CEL? What was the code number it threw?