Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost creep with stock turbo....

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boost creep with stock turbo....

I have been reading a lot about people getting boost creep on the stock turbo with the Ebay O2 housing. I had never heard of boost creep on an EVO until the 05's came out....

I suspect that the "new style" 10.5 housing with the single flapper is causing the problems. I was one of the first to use the ebay O2 housing (from SS autochrome) when I installed the O2 housing along with my old TME 6.5 turbo with the 10.5 housing (old school housing with dual flappers). I never had boost creep issues and never heard of anyone with boost creep in a stock turbo EVO until the new style 10.5 housings came out.

Am I totally off base here, or do other people notice this trend as well?

Keith
Old May 23, 2006, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
interesting theory... doubt we will find very good evidence :[
Old May 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the real culprit is the design of the Ebay 02 housing. The first thing I said when I looked at it was "how the hell is this NOT going to boost creep". Im referring to the hole where the wastegate exhaust flows into the turbine exhaust path .....it is the size of a nickel!

This pic shows the size of the hole.... that is TINY!

The part where the wastegate on the turbo is exits very large then has to go down to fit in that little hole. Not to mention there is no flow charactertistics what so ever inside it. There are creases even under the little hole. I guess thats why its $50-90 though!

For the record, I only recieved boost creep in 4th gear on EXTREMELY cold days if I did a 4th gear pull. Instead of doing traditional spike of 24.. then hit 22 and hold then bleed to 19 it would do this : spike 24... go to 22... back up to 23-24 then bleed down to 20-21 by redline. Nothing too bad and who knows, maybe it made my car faster!

I dont tihnk its the wastegate design purely because in essence both designs do the same thing, but who knows!

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Jun 10, 2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

We honestly need like a poll or a thread where everyone lists their car year, brand of o2 housing and any other accompanying mods. Someone was saying 05/06 had the problem but I haven't seen too many ix's with the problem, I also pm'ed Buschur/TurboTrix about boost creep on ix's with the ebay o2 housing and they said they haven't had a problem..
Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
We honestly need like a poll or a thread where everyone lists their car year, brand of o2 housing and any other accompanying mods. Someone was saying 05/06 had the problem but I haven't seen too many ix's with the problem, I also pm'ed Buschur/TurboTrix about boost creep on ix's with the ebay o2 housing and they said they haven't had a problem..

Getting the Works O2 housing and 10.5" hotside installed on the 27th, i'll toss my .02 then.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By "ebay O2 housing" I was talking about the original one for sale from SSAutochrome... it looked a hell of a lot better than the one you have pictures of. That may be where some of the confusion is comming from on my part.

Keith
Old Jun 11, 2006, 06:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The pictured one looks pretty rough to say the least... I've had both the SS and the Megan. The Megan looked much better than the pic above, and fit better than the SS. Yes, my "boost" changed dramatically, but neither caused boost creep.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I have the ebay one coated coming to me soon, so I'll put my .02 as well. I'm just scared to spend all that time taking it apart and then to take it off if I have problems,..but tt and buschur said don't worry about it on a 9.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

That is the only picture I found right away from TTP. Ive had Megan, SS-Autochrome, and the Helix 02s in hand at the same time. I was buying them and selling them for a while. Every single one was COMPLETELY IDENTICAL. The only changes were the bung for the 02. They were in the same location, but different screws.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
...The only changes were the bung for the 02. They were in the same location, but different screws.
???? we all have the same sensor...

I was one of the original people working with SS before they f-v-c-ked me, on the US Evo products in 03'.

They were a different manufacturer then, I don't know about now.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
???? we all have the same sensor...

I was one of the original people working with SS before they f-v-c-ked me, on the US Evo products in 03'.

They were a different manufacturer then, I don't know about now.
Sorry I should have worded it better. The bung itself wasnt different but the plug for it was. Its pretty much obsolete since you throw it out though to put in the 02 sensor! I dont even know why it came with them. I was just noting that was the only difference in the 3 brands.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

I've been searching this morning....I read two ixs had the problem and one didn't...then I read a few 03-05s that had the 10.5 hotside and didn't have problems either....I'm torn. Buschur called me asking if I still want my coated o2 since they just got them in and I said yes but I don't want to install it and have problems and be out $200 that I could use towards a tune, licp or clutch..wish some other ix's would speak up, for some reason this mod isn't popular on ix's.

I'm doing a ported manifold cause I have to take it off when I tape the egt anyway, wish I could only do this once...
Old Jun 13, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

From what I've read just adjust the screw on the wastegate actuator if you get boost creep and that should solve the problem. I have the "ebay" one coated from Buschur but haven't put it on yet. I am curious to see what people have to say as well, for me though, more concerned about the VIII than the IX.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Well 04s don't have the problem due to the smaller hotside (unless you upgraded) I'm interested in the ixs due to the mivec/diff turbo, makes this a whole new playing field. I read a few ixs tuned by al with no problems...but then again I see so many ixs putting down great numbers without an o2 housing...makes me ask is it worth it? I could look into cams or ic piping instead...

Quick Reply: Boost creep with stock turbo....