Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20g9 or 6.5 rs tme for Alky?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20g9 or 6.5 rs tme for Alky?

I have an 03 Evo and was wondering which turbo would make more power running 26psi with Meth on 272/272's (and supporting mods of course)... a 20g9 with a 10.5 hotside or a 6.5 rs tme with a 10.5 hotside. Also i was wondering if any 50 trim turbos fit the stock manifold? Thanks
Old May 18, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pound by pound the Evo 9 20G should make more power at the top end however I am one of the few bizarre people that think that the TME 6.5 would be a much better everyday turbo specially if you don't like turbolag.

No one has compared them one on one but the 20G Evo9 should ultimately make more power.

Carlos
Old May 20, 2006, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The TME will give you a HUGE torque spike that the 20G lacks getting you off the line faster.
Old May 20, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

20g all the way
Old May 20, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

20G9 forsure!
Old May 20, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

day to day driving 20G9

drag/closed course racing meth

I gained 60 horse and 60 lbs tq from meth.
Old May 20, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah Ima go with Meth to on the stock turbo. The TME turbo is shown to have massive torque down loe, that helps a LOT, the 20G-9 lags a bit more and you lose the mid range.

Honestly I wouldn't even have the 20G on the Table.

Either a 50TRIM or a GT35R, anything else is a waste.
Old May 20, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

3076 or 50 trim or 35r PERIOD!!!
Old May 20, 2006, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

TME makes alot more torque down low and when compared to the 20G-9-6 TME on pump gas. According to Ted B. he lost alot of low end with the 20G and lost mid range and didn't gain anything really on the top end. Now this is one case but then again I haven't heard really any other comparisons between the two. On paper you'd think the 20G would make more power but in my opinion it just seems like the 6.5TME has a way better powerband. Perhaps on meth. there are definite gains over the 6.5 but I don't know much about it in terms of a comparison.
Old May 20, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Yeah Ima go with Meth to on the stock turbo. The TME turbo is shown to have massive torque down loe, that helps a LOT, the 20G-9 lags a bit more and you lose the mid range.

Honestly I wouldn't even have the 20G on the Table.
Not sure where you got these ideas, but they are false. You don't lose midrange on a 20g-9-5, and the TME doesn't have "massive" torque down low. It just spools earlier. The torque isn't significantly different than a regular 05 turbo.

WillEat, no reason to bring up the 20g-9-6 - we know that sucks. Keep the discussion in reference to the good 20g (9-5).
Old May 20, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

I think he is refering to the 20G-9 having less midrange than the TME. I think power in the midrange would be very close but the 20G-9 should lay out the TME on the top end. I still want to see what a 20G-9-5 TME can do.

Last edited by WillEatUrSTi; May 20, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old May 21, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Not sure where you got these ideas, but they are false. You don't lose midrange on a 20g-9-5, and the TME doesn't have "massive" torque down low. It just spools earlier. The torque isn't significantly different than a regular 05 turbo.

WillEat, no reason to bring up the 20g-9-6 - we know that sucks. Keep the discussion in reference to the good 20g (9-5).

Sorry Warr I am going to have to disagree with you. I know that you support Buschur and I am certainly not bashing him but I am not seeing the massive power with the 20G, ESPECIALLY on pump. I know that you only have the stock turbo but the TME REALLY spools up faster and spikes harder, it is a great turbo and just moves the Evo that much better. I am not seeing that amazing of numbers on the Buschur 20G and it obviously has more lag then TME and it has less midrange until at least the top end. If you have some other info please then post it so we can compare, but I am really considering the TME over the 20G for now.
Old May 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't have less mid-range. It only has lesser spoolup. It also runs and sustains more boost. NO one said there were massive power gains on the 20g - those are your words. The TME is almost no advantage over a stock 05 turbo. The ONLY difference is a gain in spool, and that's not worth $700 plus the install work.

This has nothing to do with Buschur either. I'm talking about the 20g-9-5, not Buschur. Who has disillusioned you into thinking the TME is so great? Someone must have blown some smoke up your skirt or something.

As for the pump gas comment, you don't get a 20g if you plan to run pump gas. It's only to be used with at least BR stg4 equivalent items and alky.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 21, 2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 21, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't have less mid-range. It only has lesser spoolup. It also runs and sustains more boost. NO one said there were massive power gains on the 20g - those are your words. The TME is almost no advantage over a stock 05 turbo. The ONLY difference is a gain in spool, and that's not worth $700 plus the install work.

This has nothing to do with Buschur either. I'm talking about the 20g-9-5, not Buschur. Who has disillusioned you into thinking the TME is so great? Someone must have blown some smoke up your skirt or something.

As for the pump gas comment, you don't get a 20g if you plan to run pump gas. It's only to be used with at least BR stg4 equivalent items and alky.

Again I am going to have to disagree. Having more lag is having more of your power band taken away. That TME really spikes up faster then a regular stocker. It is very noticeable. The 20G still falls off similar to the stock turbo and I don’t see the gains I would like to see compared to say the TT 20G kit. A lot of people have seen the Buschur run of 400WHP on their dyno and think that they can get similar numbers; people are finding out that they are not making those numbers. As for me I think it is kind of a waste as people are making close to 400WHP on the stock turbo and Alky, having a TME give you that much more power band is just that much better. I have been in a TME car and driven one, you would not BELIEVE the torque and throttle response, again I am sorry but I have to disagree with you there, it has an advantage, no disillusions here, just 1st hand experience. The most power I have seen with the 20G-9-5 was 30WHP gain but that was with the addition of a 10.5 with the 20G and a eBay 02 housing so it wasn’t a fair comparison

Again I have not seen any major gains with the BR 20G, traps of like 116 which is nothing special and that was on Alky.

The TME is a clear winner and really adds a lot to the Evo’s performance, Mitsu doesn’t mess around with Turbos, they know what their doing and I doubt they would make one if it was just as good as the regular Evo Turbo. Even Buschur himself touted the importance of midrange and torque when he was discussing the larger Gt35R Turbos.

Don’t get me wrong, I would not mind the 20G, but if you are going to go through that route, I would just look got a 50Trim or larger.
Old May 21, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem is your just looking at peak #'s, not the overall powerband. The 20G holds its power alot longer than a stock or 6.5TME turbo. Theres a graph on here somewhere showing it holding peak power the whole graph (once it spooled of course). Sure it might have only gained 20whp or so but elswhere it gained huge, 50+ if I remember right.

Quick Reply: 20g9 or 6.5 rs tme for Alky?