Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Best "50 trim" Ball Bearing Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at Shearer's motorsport there kit looks really nice and comes at a nice price, what do you guys think about there kit?
Old May 19, 2006, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAeVo
I looked at Shearer's motorsport there kit looks really nice and comes at a nice price, what do you guys think about there kit?

I think its an excellent option.....

AMS, TurboTrix, Shearer....

all great choices.....

Just pick your poison, cuz anyway you look at it its gonna kill you
Old May 19, 2006, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
Ceramic coating it isnt about looks its about performance.. but anyway nice setup.
Ceramic coat is overated if you ask me. Maybe on some parts or internally on some parts it works, but outside a manifold stainless at that I doubt you will notice much diff if any at all. I had a ceramic coated manifold on my honda and it cracked so another identical was made and it was not coated and it made same power.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

As regard to why to shy away from RNR, they shove tiny hotsides on there kits to save money, along with never seeming to produce numbers nearly as high on a regular basis as the other kits. In terms of proven performing 50 trim kits, the AMS and TurboTrix kits are your only choices.

Scorke
Old May 19, 2006, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

does this apply to shearer?
Old May 20, 2006, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I just checked out shearer's website and saw their turbo kits. Not bad at all!! It also looks like Turbotrix uses a Shearer Turbo Manifold on their own turbo kits, so that should say something about the quality of Shearer's kit, I think. I have never heard of Shearer Motorsport though. Of the 3 kits mentioned below, it looks like AMS is the most expensive - by $850.00 over the Shearer kit!!! Dang! Am I missing something here?

I'm looking for dyno figures from anyone running any of the following kits:
1) AMS 50 Trim Ball Bearing Turbo Kit
2) Turbo Trix 50 Trim Ball Bearing Turbo Kit
3) Shearer Motorsport 50 Trim Ball Bearing Turbo Kit

If you are running anyone of these 3 kits and have dyno-tested your setup, could you please post your complete dyno results? I am only interested in dyno-results that were performed with the following criteria:
a) dyno-test on pump gas (please mention octane rating)
b) dyno-test on unleaded race gas (please mention octane rating)
c) If your Evo is modified, please list your modifications
d) No nitrous; No alky; No water injection; No methanol; No C16
e) Rate the quality of the Turbo kit

Many thanks.
Old May 20, 2006, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

You could also do a Buschur turbokit w/ a BB 50 trim for 3k. Just throwing another option out there, as for me I am probably going w/ the Shearer. The price/quality are awesome
Old May 20, 2006, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
Ceramic coat is overated if you ask me. Maybe on some parts or internally on some parts it works, but outside a manifold stainless at that I doubt you will notice much diff if any at all. I had a ceramic coated manifold on my honda and it cracked so another identical was made and it was not coated and it made same power.
1) It's not supposed to make more power
2) It may or may not make the spoolup faster, hard to measure. Theoretically it should but diff is very small.
3) What it does is does is offering corrosion protection to mild steel and protection from extreme heat thus reducing underhood temp, these are proven facts.

Last edited by 600+hp; May 20, 2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old May 20, 2006, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Shearer does look really nice. I think the old turbotrix kit used his manifold
Old May 20, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 600+hp
1) It's not supposed to make more power
2) It may or may not make the spoolup faster, hard to measure. Theoretically it should but diff is very small.
3) What it does is does is offering corrosion protection to mild steel and protection from extreme heat thus reducing underhood temp, these are proven facts.

Agreed, and it will make everything look nice and pretty under the hood instead of multiple discoloration and a rusty hotside!
Old May 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

WOW...you turbo'd your Playstation!!!!!
Old May 20, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Batmann!
I'm looking for dyno figures from anyone running any of the following kits:
1) AMS 50 Trim Ball Bearing Turbo Kit
2) Turbo Trix 50 Trim Ball Bearing Turbo Kit
3) Shearer Motorsport 50 Trim Ball Bearing Turbo Kit

If you are running anyone of these 3 kits and have dyno-tested your setup, could you please post your complete dyno results? I am only interested in dyno-results that were performed with the following criteria:
a) dyno-test on pump gas (please mention octane rating)
b) dyno-test on unleaded race gas (please mention octane rating)
c) If your Evo is modified, please list your modifications
d) No nitrous; No alky; No water injection; No methanol; No C16
e) Rate the quality of the Turbo kit

Many thanks.
I said it once; I'll say it again.

PLEASE GO TO THEIR RESPECTIVE FORUMS AND READ THE PAST RESULTS INSTEAD OF ASKING TO BE SPOONFED. There is a TurboTrix forum and an AMS forum with dynographs and track results from their 50 trim kits. After searching through all of that, you will also find names of others with those kits who have not posted numbers yet. You can PM them directly and get even more info. Don't just sit here and ask for handouts over and over.
Old May 20, 2006, 08:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mchuang
This is straying off topic... however, you believe this due to all the crappy vendors out there using basically a "ceramic paint" instead of a true ceramic "coating".

Warrtalon,

These days, even if you are right, you are wrong... it's not your content, it's your attitude. PM me if you want to discuss it further, because you are all the talk behind the scenes right now, and the "straw is breaking the camels back".

To the topic,

There are a few really nice 50 trim kits to choose from. However, what the vast majority seems to keep missing is who are you going to have tune it? People fail to realize that these "great numbers" they keep asking for are usually produced by the manufacturers of the kits themselves. I garran-got-damn-tee you that you will get more usable power out a mediocre kit and a good tuner that you will with a phenomenal kit and a mediocre tuner.

Your best bet, start shopping for a (known) great quasi-local tuner, and ask them what kits they have tuned and which they recommend!
Old May 20, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The original TurboTrix kit used a Shearer manifold, yes.

Now they make their own in house, its the one that I have in the picture.

Most 50 trim's are going to put down 430/360 rougly on pumpgas, and about 470-480/440 on race/alky. Every dyno plot I've seen is right around this area, maybe give or take 10-15 points one way or the other.
Old May 20, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs down

gotta friend that just bought exhaust from RNR.

not happy whatsoever. fitment is not the best....

RNR =

Quick Reply: The Best "50 trim" Ball Bearing Turbo Kit