Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Best "50 trim" Ball Bearing Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

was going to go with RNR but im also afraid of all there little problems when buying from them. EX. shipping the turbo kit in pieces, fitment issues, ect. When i buy a turbo kit i want the whole thing to come ready to be installed. As for a good tuner i think Martin at AMS will do a good job tuning a 50 trim
Old May 20, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

i talked to ron shearer a while ago and he said that the price ($3700) isn't the price of their 50 trim anymore...in fact its gone up to around 4g's. This was a bout 2 months ago so I'd call him first hand if anyone is dead set on going for the Shearer kit to save money. Not to say it isn't worth it tho, I'm gonna end up going either AMS or shearer for my kit...they use the same turbo.
Old May 20, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yellowEVO21
i talked to ron shearer a while ago and he said that the price ($3700) isn't the price of their 50 trim anymore...in fact its gone up to around 4g's. This was a bout 2 months ago so I'd call him first hand if anyone is dead set on going for the Shearer kit to save money. Not to say it isn't worth it tho, I'm gonna end up going either AMS or shearer for my kit...they use the same turbo.
doh!
Old May 20, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

do they all use the same turbo... i they all garrets?
Old May 20, 2006, 07:49 PM

Warrtalon, I'm not asking for handouts or asking to be spoon-fed. I just want hard facts, like dyno #'s. I searched this forum for a week and could not find all the information I was looking for. And for your information, I have PM'ed a couple of members on this forum, and they are running setups that I am interested in. From what I've seen, it seems like just about everyone is running alky, methanol, alcohol or nitrous, in conjuntion with their turbo kits. Besides I would rather communicate with members who are running the setups in my request. I feel I will get a better unbiased opinion, rather than speaking to a vendor that just wants to make a sale.

If you know where I can find the information I'm requesting, then please post the links or send me a PM, rather than bashing me. Who the heck do you think you are? God????

Before I buy a product, I perform lots of research. Any turbo kit can make decent power on C16, alky, methanol, or nitrous. I have a 2005 Evo MR, and I'm one of the few that still runs cats 100% of the time. To date, I have never used C16 in my car. My dyno numbers or tests have always been with Pump Unleaded Gas (93 octane), or Unleaded Race Gas (105 octane), and with my cats on. I call this "Real World" horsepower and torque. I don't have time to be changing oxygen sensors, or putting my cats on for an inspection then taking them off again. That gets old really fast.
Besides, isn't this what this forum is for?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I said it once; I'll say it again.

PLEASE GO TO THEIR RESPECTIVE FORUMS AND READ THE PAST RESULTS INSTEAD OF ASKING TO BE SPOONFED. There is a TurboTrix forum and an AMS forum with dynographs and track results from their 50 trim kits. After searching through all of that, you will also find names of others with those kits who have not posted numbers yet. You can PM them directly and get even more info. Don't just sit here and ask for handouts over and over.
Old May 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

ouch!
Old May 20, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Go with the TurboTrix 50trim...I think it's well put together and gives good results and good price...and I have an RnR GT3076 it's OK...but I probably would have gone with NEW TurboTrix 50trim kit if it was available when I got mine, it's has some great reviews...check there forum.

Respec
Old May 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvO6-RS2
Go with the TurboTrix 50trim...I think it's well put together and gives good results and good price...and I have an RnR GT3076 it's OK...but I probably would have gone with NEW TurboTrix 50trim kit if it was available when I got mine, it's has some great reviews...check there forum.

Respec
too bad their manifold looks like crap imo....
Old May 21, 2006, 12:10 PM

Zeus, you are absolutely right in regards to who will tune the kit, once the purchase is made. That is my other dilemma right now. Pardon me, if I'm straying "off topic" but out here in the Austin area, we really don't have that many options when it comes to installation or performance shops. MZM is the only game in town, and in my own opinion, they seem more of a "bolt on" shop. Also, I have heard good things and not so good things about them.

There is a shop in San Antonio by the name of Precision. I've heard good things about the shop so far from various threads on this forum, but they do not have a dyno. I have read in some other threads that Mark (from Turbo trix) usually comes down there for "tuning sessions". I guess when I purchase the kit (in about 2 months), I'll have to ship the car off to one of the reputable car shops like AMS or TT for installation and tuning.
Does anyone know why the AMS 50 trim BB kit is so much more expensive?

There are a few really nice 50 trim kits to choose from. However, what the vast majority seems to keep missing is who are you going to have tune it? People fail to realize that these "great numbers" they keep asking for are usually produced by the manufacturers of the kits themselves. I garran-got-damn-tee you that you will get more usable power out a mediocre kit and a good tuner that you will with a phenomenal kit and a mediocre tuner.

Your best bet, start shopping for a (known) great quasi-local tuner, and ask them what kits they have tuned and which they recommend![/QUOTE]
Old May 21, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yellowEVO21
too bad their manifold looks like crap imo....
Yeah because I know I chose my turbo kit because of how it looked........ Even if an exhaust manifold to a particular kit looked like it was ripped off of a WW2 tank I would use it, as long as it didnt crack, made power, and spooled efficiently. If your looking at kits/manifolds based on how they look, you shouldnt be buying one, in my books which ever kit makes the most power, with the best ratio in terms of $/Performance is the right option.

Scorke
Old May 21, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Yeah because I know I chose my turbo kit because of how it looked........ Even if an exhaust manifold to a particular kit looked like it was ripped off of a WW2 tank I would use it, as long as it didnt crack, made power, and spooled efficiently. If your looking at kits/manifolds based on how they look, you shouldnt be buying one, in my books which ever kit makes the most power, with the best ratio in terms of $/Performance is the right option.

Scorke
wow, i forgot how much hate us fellow new jerseyans (if thats a word) can spout off...esp to one another.

Where in that post did I say that buying a kit should be based off how it looks? i made a simple statement of what my opinion was regarding the manifold. calm yourself before you go into a mad frenzy and saying that anyone who cares what the manifold looks like shouldn't be buying a turbo kit....

I would agree that anyone who purchased a kit with a "good-looking" manifold over a better-performing kit with "not so good-looking" manifold is indeed stupid and needs to re-evaluate their decision....but you, my friend, need to relax and evaluate everything in the context that it was said. I said the manifold wasn't good looking, in my opinion. I didn't tell anyone not to buy the kit. nor did i mention anything about performance.

-Someone who's responding to "scorke"
Old May 21, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Scorke
If youre going to spend near $4000 and also want your engine bay to look really good for whatever reason Id kinda want a manifold that looked nice too, like AMS/Shearer. Its a matter of personal opinion. I know it works great as seen by the numbers the kit is producing, but all in all, I wouldnt buy it just because its so damn hideous lol. They should make a heatshield for it!
Old May 21, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Haha sorry if it came off that rough, I just find so many people on these boards concerned with products they purchas because they are not "pretty" clearly you two are not of that variety!!!! The AMS manifold is actually the only one that I think looks good, the RNR is nice because its very symmetrical, but from the results they have shown it doesnt seem to be effective, the turbotrix, full race, and shearer seem to all be flat out function, which doesn't steer me away from there mani's for any reason, just not as pretty as the AMS IMHO, again sorry for coming off aggressively, I did not mean to!

Scorke

p.s.- I think its jersyans is as close as we can get, damn the garden state for its awkwardness and state popo..........
Old May 21, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Haha sorry if it came off that rough, I just find so many people on these boards concerned with products they purchas because they are not "pretty" clearly you two are not of that variety!!!! The AMS manifold is actually the only one that I think looks good, the RNR is nice because its very symmetrical, but from the results they have shown it doesnt seem to be effective, the turbotrix, full race, and shearer seem to all be flat out function, which doesn't steer me away from there mani's for any reason, just not as pretty as the AMS IMHO, again sorry for coming off aggressively, I did not mean to!

Scorke

p.s.- I think its jersyans is as close as we can get, damn the garden state for its awkwardness and state popo..........
no worries man, i know where you're coming from.

i agree with your take on the manifolds....i think the rnr is best looking one but i wouldn't buy anything from them.

I agree w/ Tom...if you're going to spend 4 g's on a kit, might as well have your performance and have a good-looking manifold too!
Old May 21, 2006, 01:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Batmann!
Zeus, you are absolutely right in regards to who will tune the kit, once the purchase is made. That is my other dilemma right now. Pardon me, if I'm straying "off topic" but out here in the Austin area, we really don't have that many options when it comes to installation or performance shops. MZM is the only game in town, and in my own opinion, they seem more of a "bolt on" shop. Also, I have heard good things and not so good things about them.

There is a shop in San Antonio by the name of Precision. I've heard good things about the shop so far from various threads on this forum, but they do not have a dyno. I have read in some other threads that Mark (from Turbo trix) usually comes down there for "tuning sessions". I guess when I purchase the kit (in about 2 months), I'll have to ship the car off to one of the reputable car shops like AMS or TT for installation and tuning.
Does anyone know why the AMS 50 trim BB kit is so much more expensive?

There are a few really nice 50 trim kits to choose from. However, what the vast majority seems to keep missing is who are you going to have tune it? People fail to realize that these "great numbers" they keep asking for are usually produced by the manufacturers of the kits themselves. I garran-got-damn-tee you that you will get more usable power out a mediocre kit and a good tuner that you will with a phenomenal kit and a mediocre tuner.

Your best bet, start shopping for a (known) great quasi-local tuner, and ask them what kits they have tuned and which they recommend!
I could hook you up on the install, however, as I stated... I'm not a tuner. Now if lets say you decided you wanted to go with Turbo Trix. You could schedule the install close to Mark coming down for a tune date, and send him your ECU for a safe flash to tide you over until that happens. If it is your only car though, you might very well be best served visiting one of those shops to get it all done at once.

Quick Reply: The Best "50 trim" Ball Bearing Turbo Kit