Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Best "50 trim" Ball Bearing Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's my opinion on a 50 trim kit. I have yet to see one do anything that has impressed me. If you are in the market for a 50 trim kit I'd say go with the EVO Green. It's already gone 10's on 5-6 EVO's and trapped 130 mph.

EDITING

WOW! I only read the very first post asking the questions. I then saw how long the post was and started reading.

For the guys living in the closets. First off, right now 9sec9/OKIX are running the quickest and fastest with the Green, they are not the only guys to run 10's. (Not taking away from them, just going into a point) Yes, they have built their car to run fast, since when is someone doing a job right a bad thing? There are another 4-5 EVO's that have also gone 10's on the green and I am proud to say each one of them we had a major part in putting them there. One car that comes to mind is Bobby's car. It is a real full weight EVO that ran on a normal radial tire and ran back to back to back 10.92's at 130 mph trap speeds. My RS ran 10.88 at 128 two years ago on a Yokahama Neova radial, was a standard RS nothing lightened or cut up, the car still isn't. Besides these 10 second EVO's on the Green I don't-know-how-many we've put under 11.50's, just normal everyday drivers. Eric's car ran 11.0 at 128 stock engine/stock head on E85.

One more thing. 120 mph trap speeds can be expected from any properly set up pump gas EVO on the green. My brothers car runs 125 mph traps on 93 octane, no alky, his is a bit of a freak but he runs it like this everyday.

Spending twice the money on a turbo kit that flows 3 more lbs with less bottom end is.............uh..........stupid. I don't even care if you buy the turbo from me, I am just answering the question of "which 50 trim is best" the best one is the Green.

Last edited by David Buschur; Apr 1, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Here's my opinion on a 50 trim kit. I have yet to see one do anything that has impressed me. If you are in the market for a 50 trim kit I'd say go with the EVO Green. It's already gone 10's on 5-6 EVO's and trapped 130 mph.
While I can agree that the Green is a great turbo and I probably would have bought one back in the day if it were available; I have yet to see a Green go 10's and trap 130 in a car w/ basic bolt ons. Most of these cars are gutted, running big cams, ported tb & intake manifolds, race gas, stand alones, and built motors. In contrast my car is full weight 3560lbs. w/ me in it, GSC 264/272 cams, meth injection, on a dynoflash tune trapping nearly the same. Not trying to debate this to death, but want to point out some differences. Hell you could get a stock turbo Evo 8 to trap high 120's w/ enough mods/lightening.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

creamo, not to be rude but you are incorrect. Don't kid yourself into saying 11.56 is nearly the same as 10's nor is 126 nearly the same as 130. I am not familar with GSC cams but you have cams, you have meth.

I have a customer in the 10's on pump/meth on the green. Full weight car other than the front bumper beam which 95%+ of our customers throw out.

Making an excuse that someone is running a stand alone is just an excuse. I get so tired of excuses. You're either fast or your not, you can either step it up or shut it up the way I look at it.

I don't know who planted this seed of "every fast green is lightened" but it is incorrect. An EVO that weighs in at 3560 pounds either has a driver that needs a diet or a car that needs the ghetto sound system taken out of it. I have weighed too many EVO's at this point and typically an EVO8 with an empty tank of gas comes in at right around 3200 pounds.

Refusing to do any intelligent mods that take weight of a car that you are going to race makes a person "stupid". For example, spare tire, jack and took kit weigh 50 pounds, battery kit -20 pounds, our turbo back -37 pounds, right there is 107 pounds off an EVO. I won't mention the USA only crash beams to save myself argueing with someone. There is so much other useless weight in the car that can be removed with no adverse effects. Lighter means faster and less broken parts.

I can go on forever on this topic but it won't do any good.

There are too many examples of full weight, stock engine, stock head EVO's running faster than 11.50's at over 120+ mph to have to argue the point.

There are no fast 50 trims that I have seen, none in the 10's for sure on an EVO.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

^^His times are on pump gas and meth injection only...not e85 or C16. Whats a green trap with that? His cams are also about the mildest cam you can buy.

Last edited by dbsears; Apr 1, 2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes 264 is the mildest, if your so shure of it, take one car and change only one variable, the turbo, then dyno each, and run each in the 1/4, then talk
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Creamo3
While I can agree that the Green is a great turbo and I probably would have bought one back in the day if it were available; I have yet to see a Green go 10's and trap 130 in a car w/ basic bolt ons. Most of these cars are gutted, running big cams, ported tb & intake manifolds, race gas, stand alones, and built motors. In contrast my car is full weight 3560lbs. w/ me in it, GSC 264/272 cams, meth injection, on a dynoflash tune trapping nearly the same. Not trying to debate this to death, but want to point out some differences. Hell you could get a stock turbo Evo 8 to trap high 120's w/ enough mods/lightening.
Some people forget that OKIX ran 10.87 at 128+ on STOCK BLOCK, STOCK HEAD and HKS 272 cams. This was done prior to 'building the block and head' and the 10.6 passes. Basically a FULL bolt on build with light weight parts. To tell you further how 'heavy' we were on the 10.87, we've since dropped or will have dropped another 120 lbs soon. It definitely was not a gutted car. Even had the radio, speakers, air conditioning, carpets and padding.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

creamo, not to be rude but you are incorrect. Don't kid yourself into saying 11.56 is nearly the same as 10's nor is 126 nearly the same as 130. I am not familar with GSC cams but you have cams, you have meth.

I have a customer in the 10's on pump/meth on the green. Full weight car other than the front bumper beam which 95%+ of our customers throw out.

Making an excuse that someone is running a stand alone is just an excuse. I get so tired of excuses. You're either fast or your not, you can either step it up or shut it up the way I look at it.

I don't know who planted this seed of "every fast green is lightened" but it is incorrect. An EVO that weighs in at 3560 pounds either has a driver that needs a diet or a car that needs the ghetto sound system taken out of it. I have weighed too many EVO's at this point and typically an EVO8 with an empty tank of gas comes in at right around 3200 pounds.

Refusing to do any intelligent mods that take weight of a car that you are going to race makes a person "stupid". For example, spare tire, jack and took kit weigh 50 pounds, battery kit -20 pounds, our turbo back -37 pounds, right there is 107 pounds off an EVO. I won't mention the USA only crash beams to save myself argueing with someone. There is so much other useless weight in the car that can be removed with no adverse effects. Lighter means faster and less broken parts.

I can go on forever on this topic but it won't do any good.

There are too many examples of full weight, stock engine, stock head EVO's running faster than 11.50's at over 120+ mph to have to argue the point.

There are no fast 50 trims that I have seen, none in the 10's for sure on an EVO.
I find it pretty funny that a fully built race car traps 4 mph faster that's all I'm saying. With your logic you should forget about the 35R as well since just about anybody can run 10's @ 130 on a Green w/ some good ol' Buschur parts. You're setting unrealistic expectations and just because you haven't seen it w/ your eyes doesn't mean it's not out there. I choose not to run a standalone not because of cost, but because of state emissions testing. My car is full weight w/o a ghetto sound system. I take the 22's off when I race and even remove the spare/jack. I would like to see a run down of mods for your "1" customers car on pump/meth that is in the 10's (weight too if you know it.) Seems fair to compare apples to apples...
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to me that the 50trim is the "pump gas guys" 400whp turbo +/-. I like the idea of a green, but I dont want to run meth, and from what I have seen on VIIIs, the green wont shine without meth, so a 50 trim on pump would interst me. Just my thoughts.

Jeller
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

9sec9, don't forget the other key point, you were also on the STOCK ECU.

dbsears, did you miss where I said 10's on pump/alky? I have one customer who has gone a 10.8x at 128 on pump/alky only.

I am done, I made my points. Please buy what you want to buy, I can only give an opinion.

Remember what's in my signature.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

9sec9, don't forget the other key point, you were also on the STOCK ECU.

dbsears, did you miss where I said 10's on pump/alky? I have one customer who has gone a 10.8x at 128 on pump/alky only.

I am done, I made my points. Please buy what you want to buy, I can only give an opinion.

Remember what's in my signature.
Keyword: one. Who else has duplicated that. Considering that 9sec9 setup was running VPImport I believe to achieve those time how was it that guy ran similiar times with just pump and meth. Obviously not your typical full weight bolt on car. Apples to apples here. I have seen stock turbo trap 126mph+ in full weight ssl evo doesn't mean everybody can do it. With that reasoning why would ANYBODY need to upgrade the stock turbo if you can run 10's with it. Not disrespecting you just handing out another opinion. 50trims been proven to easily make over 400whp on pump gas only on evos and even dsm's. It may not be bang for your buck with the new HTA turbo's out but doesn't mean its crap.

Last edited by dbsears; Apr 1, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

dbsears87, I think good discussion is just that, good. I've only based my responses on what I've seen at the track. I've seen very few dyno charts of 50 trims. Does anyone have a GOOD dyno chart so it can be compared to the Green, rpm/whp to rpm/whp? Might be good for sake of these conversations.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Stock block. Pump gas and meth (non bb I believe). Put E85 or C16 in it and I would suspect theres more.

Pump gas. 22psi and stock clutch.

Last edited by dbsears; Apr 1, 2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

I think if we could agree on a 'conversion' factor from Mustang to Dynojet, we could arrive at the same comparisons. I think you could agree that our 445 on the Mustang is at least 530 whp on the Dynojet, based on our et/mph results. With that in mind, we made the same whp at 5252 as we did at nearly 7000. To be equal to our dyno run, this 50 trim would have to be making at least 525 whp at the crossover, which it's not. The Green had a 7 whp variance between 5300 and 6968. That would put the average horsepower over that range much higher than this posted chart. As far as 4000 to 5000 rpms, there's no comparison at all and that's why the Green is so strong on the street and low rpm. To perform better at the dragstrip. The average whp should be highest between 6000 - 8000. Each shifted gear drops approximately to 6100 rpms, which puts this engine at a whp figure representing only 82% of it's maximum. (quickly figured in my head). If the Green and this turbo are truly 'peak' whp the same, then our turbo would only be dropping about 5 whp or about 1.2% of it's maximum power throughout the given gear. This makes the AVERAGE whp throughout the given gear much higher on the Green than it does the 50 trim. That's why I've said the Green is not only a better drag turbo, but a better street turbo due to it's tremendously higher low end torque. Does that make sense or am I missing something?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
dbsears, that's high HP numbers there.... no low end at all. Are you sure that was a 50 and not a 35r?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears87

Stock block. Pump gas and meth. Put E85 or C16 in it and I would suspect theres more.
OK this is what I wanted to see...When I look at the graph it appears to be closer to a 30R / 35R variant (looks weak below 5.5k), but super strong up top...

I want a car that hits hard by 4000 - 4500 and keeps pulling to 8000 rpm....

I have a TT 50 trim, should I trade for a green????

Quick Reply: The Best "50 trim" Ball Bearing Turbo Kit