Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what do i need in order to achieve 350whp?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tonz: are you talking about a 10 degree F. drop in inlet air temps, given the same ambient air temp and boost level? BTW, which upgraded intercooler?

Last edited by sparky; May 20, 2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old May 21, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For those of you that told me yesterday that I had no clue I want to tell you something that might make you think twice.

As you know, I had a NISEI intercooler and I reported that this intercooler hurt me more than helped me.

Specifically my spool up was significantly slower, the intercooler also robbed me some lbs of boost and the dyno did not lie, no gains.

During my 3rd custom tuning with Al we were observing my poor spool up and Al made the comment that this intercooler wasn't helping much specially with the stock turbo and with a Methanol in place (meaning that the methanol makes up for temp raise on stock intercooler already ).

I now believe that I have the true answer to the upgrade intercooler failure on my car. The Nisei core was simply too big, it drop my boost all across(yes , don't ask me, I did raised the boost to the max to compensate the boost drop). The spool up was really bad and the minimal drop in temp from the upgrade intercooler was over ride by the eficient Methanol located after the Intercooler.

I truly belive my stock intercooler mated to my methanol outperformed the NISEI by allowing absolutely more boost, faster spool up and identical temps thanks to the methanol.

I would like to hear from people with identical set up as me:

Stock turbo
alcohol/methanol
dyno before and after with stock and upgrade intercooler
tuned before and after intercooler

I admit on page one that I was generalizing when I said that an upgrade intercooler wouldn't do much of an improvement on a stock turbo.

Today I think I wasn't accurate on my statements, I admit that perhaps an upgrade intercooler could help you to get extra power but not always(read my history), specially if yopu go too big and if you are running a good cooling methanol/alcohol system.

my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 21, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old May 21, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check my sig, add from there.
Old May 21, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sleet
Check my sig, add from there.
Hey what kind of oct are you running? And also are you running an alky kit or no? I thought @23psi you need to run a higher oct or an alky kit to help with the boost?
Old May 21, 2006, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
However, listen to warrtalon. His advice is helpful even though sometimes he can come off as harsh sometimes. But please understand that he has to deal with the same repeated questions over and over again.
This can be solved by someone not replying to a post.

As for the question, if you are looking for a peak result on a dyno you could make your first run under more boost if you feel comfortable with it considering the amount of Evo owners I have talked to who have run 30-35psi on several runs with stock turbo/ic. Also, was the dynoflash just a run of the mill reflash or was someone taking time to tune your car while it was at a shop?
Old May 21, 2006, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Just FYI, you dont NEED Alky to get 350WHP. I have no alky in my car and I hit 360+ on a Mustang Dyno.
Old May 21, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
K5, a large FMIC normally does reduce spoolup, because it takes the turbo longer to fill up the larger volume.

JXS, to sniff 380whp, you need:

- GSC 272s ($440 shipped from Total D)
- SMC Alcohol Injection - run 26-28psi
- Buschur ported/coated stock manifold
- Buschur ported/coated stock 10.5 hotside
- Buschur coated SS o2 housing
- Buschur LICP

There ya go...maybe even 400wtq with your 380whp.

Just FYI you do not have to go with these exact parts. While the info is very good it's biased because he is sponsored by these folks so he pushes thier products. NOT BAD INFO AT ALL, but I dont want you to get the idea that you HAVE to buy these specific parts.

I swear by my GSC Cams, I love em! That said I wouldnt tell you that to make 350WHP you have to have this specific product, or any other for that matter. Read around and see whats out there......
Old May 22, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Offender
This can be solved by someone not replying to a post.

As for the question, if you are looking for a peak result on a dyno you could make your first run under more boost if you feel comfortable with it considering the amount of Evo owners I have talked to who have run 30-35psi on several runs with stock turbo/ic. Also, was the dynoflash just a run of the mill reflash or was someone taking time to tune your car while it was at a shop?
Well this also can be solved by doing a search.

As for your answer. People who have run 30-35psi on the stock turbo are retarded because the stock turbos efficiency will taper off at certain rpms. Not to mention 25psi is about peak efficiency for the stocker. You can safely and adequately run 25psi and keep that boost through most of the power band.

You may hit 30psi very shortly through your powerband. Which would determine that kind of boost setting pointless.
People here have gotten around 400awhp on the stock turbo/IC and they didnt have to up it to 30-35. They were hovering around 24-25psi.
Old May 22, 2006, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Just FYI, you dont NEED Alky to get 350WHP. I have no alky in my car and I hit 360+ on a Mustang Dyno.
No one ever said that. But in order to run a higher psi on the stock turbo it is necassary to get a alky kit or run higher oct. If you plan on running at a higher psi constantly then it would be more efficient to get a alky kit.

Alcohol is very cheap at home depot.
Old May 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Just FYI you do not have to go with these exact parts. While the info is very good it's biased because he is sponsored by these folks so he pushes thier products. NOT BAD INFO AT ALL, but I dont want you to get the idea that you HAVE to buy these specific parts.

I swear by my GSC Cams, I love em! That said I wouldnt tell you that to make 350WHP you have to have this specific product, or any other for that matter. Read around and see whats out there......
Yes hes sponsored by them but so what! At least buschur knows wtf they are doing compared to some of these other places.

1) youget your parts on time
2) they have good service
3) their installation is very good
4)their prices are reasonable for the most part

Also mostof the forum here will agree with me and warrtalon that buschur does indeed create good parts for very little expense but the hp reward is very great compared to that expense.

On a evo 8 you can spend around 1500 and get around 300-330whp.
Old May 22, 2006, 12:33 AM
Account Disabled

No one ever said that. But in order to run a higher psi on the stock turbo it is necassary to get a alky kit or run higher oct. If you plan on running at a higher psi constantly then it would be more efficient to get a alky kit.

Alcohol is very cheap at home depot.
A Mitsubishi power plant is not cheep! No alky, cheep go fast that kills.
Old May 22, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zhemel
A Mitsubishi power plant is not cheep! No alky, cheep go fast that kills.

Huh? I dont understand what you are saying. Please elaborate for me it is late ya know?
Old May 22, 2006, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yes hes sponsored by them but so what! At least buschur knows wtf they are doing compared to some of these other places.

1) youget your parts on time
2) they have good service
3) their installation is very good
4)their prices are reasonable for the most part

Also mostof the forum here will agree with me and warrtalon that buschur does indeed create good parts for very little expense but the hp reward is very great compared to that expense.

On a evo 8 you can spend around 1500 and get around 300-330whp.

Your preaching to the Chior man. I been a Buschur fan since I bought my first DSM over 8 years ago. My point is that by specificly point them out it is not a 100% objective opinion because they sponsor him. I myself use some of those same exact parts and they are good parts. POINT BEING it comes off as a sales pitch as oppossed to advice.

Please dont assume I am bashing I AM NOT, just being objective and not a salesmen.
Old May 22, 2006, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Your preaching to the Chior man. I been a Buschur fan since I bought my first DSM over 8 years ago. My point is that by specificly point them out it is not a 100% objective opinion because they sponsor him. I myself use some of those same exact parts and they are good parts. POINT BEING it comes off as a sales pitch as oppossed to advice.

Please dont assume I am bashing I AM NOT, just being objective and not a salesmen.
Ok fair enough just wanted to clear that up.
Old May 22, 2006, 01:07 AM
Account Disabled

Please dont run alky. A stroker 2.3 is ten times better in the long run.

Quick Reply: what do i need in order to achieve 350whp?