Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
BTW, we install all cams straight up with stock gears.
Old May 30, 2006, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you installed Revolvers on a car not equipped with an AEM, like Al's falsh or something similar?
Old May 30, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ +1

I think with ECUTek or whatever.... but not with dynoflash.
Old May 30, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

^im also wondering if this is possible. i know there are a couple of threads on here where people said it worked, i think one was from a car tuned by precision dyno w/ ecutek. i created a thread in the ecutek forum about this, but was never able to totally confirm if it works. here are some links:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...utek+revolvers

Last edited by TwStDeVo; May 30, 2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 30, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
+1, i also want the revolvers, but dont really want to get the aem. i have alot of mods though, 2.3, ported head, intake, throttle body etc.. but i want to stick with a custom dynoflash tune. right now i have comp 280s, but would love to upgrade to the revolvers. tough decision!

although i have seen some threads on here where people used ecutek with revolvers and said they worked find and idled well, but there are others who say there is no way to tune revolvers with the stock ecu. dont know who to believe!
Want the Revolvers, don't want the AEM EMS? That's like saying you want to be rich but don't really want to work to get it.

If you have your heart set on the Revolver cams - that is, you need the type of power the Revolvers can make more than any other cams out there, and you don't want to spend your $800 - $3000 anywhere else - then you only have one real option.

-- Buy the revolver cams with the thought that you MAY have to switch over to the EMS. Have Dynoflash Al try to custom tune the Revolvers with a reflash. If that does not work out, you buy the EMS and have David Bushur tune it.

So then, if you are not open to the possibility of having to run the EMS, then you should look for other area to gain HP and TQ.

It is a tradeoff - if you had to spend $3000 for the EMS, cams, and tune, where else could you spend that money? You will have to make the decision for yourself. Personally, I knew early on that the stock ECU was going to me the limiiting factor, so I pitched it. Now with each part I buy I don't have that little voice in the back of my head asking "Are you sure this is going to work? Will it idle, will it stall?"

EVOlutionary
Old May 30, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I heard one solution was to increase idle speed, since some reported stalling issues with the revolvers. I need to talk to some people, since hearsay on the Internet is just that. By people I mean Shiv, Alfred @ Tuning Tech, etc. because I am not changing my EM system just to run non-HKS cams.
If you're on the stock MAF and ECU, then ECUflash is the way to go. It is fairly easy to bump up the idle for more aggressive cams. My HKS 280s wouldn't idle well at all for the longest time, until I was able to bump up the idle target values in the ECU. My car now idles rock-solid and sounds mean. Playing with the BISS is a last resort, IMO.

l8r)
Old May 30, 2006, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, I have the XEDE. But i have heard stories. I guess I should just get off my duff and call Shiv to see what their experiences are instead of relying on random postings on this board

BTW, I know people have had no problems with the XEDE and 280's.
Old May 30, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If you're on the stock MAF and ECU, then ECUflash is the way to go. It is fairly easy to bump up the idle for more aggressive cams. My HKS 280s wouldn't idle well at all for the longest time, until I was able to bump up the idle target values in the ECU. My car now idles rock-solid and sounds mean. Playing with the BISS is a last resort, IMO.

l8r)
i got to see some tuning on the dsmlink evo in my area this week and with the full control over the ecu you can dump about 14 degrees of advance at idle and then pump up the idle speed a bit.

that should make it stall free. but the revolvers will never idle like stock. unless you seperate them like 5 degrees.
Old May 30, 2006, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
im running high lift cosworth m2 cams on my car and they idle very good with my ECUflash tuning techniques.
Old May 30, 2006, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

What are your cam gears set at?
Old May 30, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sold my car to a member in Texas. From the last EcuTek tune it idled rough but idled.
The new owner put a UTEC in it and tuned out the idle himself.
Apparently it idles pretty well now because he took it through inspection and passed!
Old May 30, 2006, 06:30 PM
Former Sponsor

my gears are set at -5 in -3 ex
Old May 30, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EFIxMR
my gears are set at -5 in -3 ex
What basis did you use to come up with those settings? Can you show us a dyno graph of that compared to 0/0 to show where you gained or lost power by going with those settings?

EVOlutionary
Old May 30, 2006, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
FWIW, a setting of -5/-3 on Cosworth M2s would be like -3.5/-0.5 with a set of HKS cams. The effect will be to focus more on top end power, with a bit of loss of midrange torque and a somewhat smoother idle.
Old May 30, 2006, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

The basis of those settings are extensive dyno tuning. My torque and hp aren't the same by coincidence. With these cams I was one of the few cars to crack over 300 tq on 91 octane on our local Mustang Dyno.

Quick Reply: Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers