Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
evolutionary,

We have a Time Attack this weekend and have made the changes to the car that you and I spoke of concerning the surging. I will have an answer on Monday.
Thanks David!! I knew you were working on it, and I know this is probably the busiest time of the year for you with the DSM/EVO shootout coming up less than 2 weeks away. I appreciate you getting this test in along with all the other things you have on your table. Keep up the great work and good luck with the Time Attack!

I'll be out kicking a$$ on the autocross course again this weekend

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know the revolver cams are made for there springs and retainers.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE

Went in to Buschur's shop yesterday to get my 93+meth tune finished. All I can say is the results are even better than I expected!!

Base line - 23-24psi - ~290whp/320wtq

Now - 25psi - ~355whp and 365wtq on Bushur's Mustang dyno.

If David sees this hopefully he can throw up my dyno graph. I forgot to ask for a printout. Thanks David Buschur and Buschur Racing.

This thing now makes within 10-15 horsepower on 93+meth as it does on VP C16! The car is just nuts to drive.

I had a Mustang Cobra mess with me on my way home from the shop last night - perfect time to test out the new power!! We went to a local high speed race track facility to run them of course. I was following him at 80 when he stepped on it. By the time I realized what was going on and downshifted to 4th he was about 5-10 cars ahead of me. By the time I shifted to 5th I had matched his speed and started pulling on him. I passed him and was about 5 cars ahead when I realized I was already at 140.

-note, all testing was conducted on a closed course-

Dang - I was surprised!! 140 got there so fast! Each gear now pulls as hard as the next lower gear used to! 3rd feels like 2nd, 4th feels like 3rd, etc. It's awesome. Not to mention that I have over 360 ft.lb of torque available right at the RPMs you cruise on the highway at. Passing is effortless - the car really feels like a big V-8 (except louder and revs higher!). It hits full boost of 25psi under 2800 rpms in 5th gear.

Anyway, I'm extremely pleased with the new power. We just have a few more issues to work out and this thing will be perfect!!

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Did you get the surging issue fixed?

Terry S
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Almost. Stay tuned. Couple more things to try. I switched to the stock EVO8 BOV and that took care of the problem on my pump/meth map at 25psi, but as you know, there is no way that plastic thing will hold 29psi (what I run on race gas).

I also tried the EVO9 metal BOV. That made things alot better than with the Tial, but if I try I can still get it to surge in very specific situations. We spent about 3 hours trying fix it with EMS tuning to no avail.

Trent at Buschur's shop also has the 20G and is in the middle of testing one more thing that I think will fix it. I am also going to try a couple far out there tricks with the Tial to try to get it to work.

We should have more info soon.

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I heard one solution was to increase idle speed, since some reported stalling issues with the revolvers. I need to talk to some people, since hearsay on the Internet is just that. By people I mean Shiv, Alfred @ Tuning Tech, etc. because I am not changing my EM system just to run non-HKS cams.
I have HKS 280's, idle set at 1100 on a jestr flash stock ecu. I adjusted idle/air screw untill the most amount of vacuum could be achieved. -11 to -13.
Idle is great, with the A/c on or off.
Of course a/c on, idle speed was also adjusted.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I bet you love that TQ differance. It's like a night and day difference.
Would you say that the updated turbo gives you the extra huff that the evo needs..?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats, time for a 50 trim
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
I bet you love that TQ differance. It's like a night and day difference.
Would you say that the updated turbo gives you the extra huff that the evo needs..?
Absolutely. The powerband feels very similar to a stock EVO, just much wider and much higher. Me likey!

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Congrats, time for a 50 trim
Definitely on my list of things to consider for next year! A new hot turbo seems to pop up about every 4-6 months or so. GT35, WR, 20G8, GT37, 20G9, GT42, etc . . .

So we'll have to wait and see what the hot ticket in mid-sized units is next spring.

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Many MANY turbos are intoduced every year, the 50 Trim has YET to be toped. Maybe the 3076R but even then I believe the 50 Trim is ultimate.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

I know there are ALOT of turbos coming out each year. I just meant that there are some extremely popular or highly talked about turbos, and they seem to come out every 4-6 months. Now that I think about it, seems like many of them come out in the spring.

So what RPMs do you hit full boost or peak TQ on your 50 trim? What RPM do you hit peak HP?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice man!!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The 50 trim has yet to be topped? Hmmm........I'd have to argue with that one.

Anyway, Jarrod, very glad you are happy with the tune/power etc. Sorry I missed you when I left. I was honestly 4 hours late leaving the shop, I didn't say anything to you but was suppose to be gone by 12:30. I got a call from home that was, uh, well a call from home reminding me it was 4:30. My wife actually quite college that night.

Anyway, enough of the drama I spoke with Trent yesterday about the outcome of your test drive in his car. Please shoot me a PM and let me know if you need us to build the dual BOV set up for you.

Something else, since this thread went towards cams and degreeing them and such. I had a guy here yesterday with a car that is basically BR Stage 4+AEM+GT35R etc. Someone else did the engine and head.....that's another story. Anyway, the car was making crap for power, it was very frustrating. I was trying to find what the problem was but couldn't come up with anything. I started to think about Curt's car and got out and looked to see if this particular car had cam gears or not. Sure enough it did. Sure enough they were degreed. I told the owner let's try setting the cams back to straight up like I think they should be. The cams were HKS 280's. The intake came was 2 degrees off, as soon as I changed it the knock count in the engine dropped and the car gained 14 whp. Then I moved the exhaust cam which was off 1 degree, car gained another 10 whp. Ended up gaining 27 whp from putting the cams back to 0.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The intake came was 2 degrees off, as soon as I changed it the knock count in the engine dropped and the car gained 14 whp. Then I moved the exhaust cam which was off 1 degree, car gained another 10 whp. Ended up gaining 27 whp from putting the cams back to 0.
You did not specify the initial settings. What were they?

Also, 'where they should be' depends upon the application. What works for a 16G is not necessarily the best setting for a GT35R equipped car. There is no such thing as one-cam-timing-fits-all any more than one type of shoe works best for all occasions. We've demonstrated improved cam timings for the same cam set that consistently delivers more power *and* torque than 0/0, and this applies for just about every cam out there.

Quick Reply: Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers