Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The 50 trim has yet to be topped? Hmmm........I'd have to argue with that one.

Anyway, Jarrod, very glad you are happy with the tune/power etc. Sorry I missed you when I left. I was honestly 4 hours late leaving the shop, I didn't say anything to you but was suppose to be gone by 12:30. I got a call from home that was, uh, well a call from home reminding me it was 4:30. My wife actually quite college that night.

Anyway, enough of the drama I spoke with Trent yesterday about the outcome of your test drive in his car. Please shoot me a PM and let me know if you need us to build the dual BOV set up for you.

Something else, since this thread went towards cams and degreeing them and such. I had a guy here yesterday with a car that is basically BR Stage 4+AEM+GT35R etc. Someone else did the engine and head.....that's another story. Anyway, the car was making crap for power, it was very frustrating. I was trying to find what the problem was but couldn't come up with anything. I started to think about Curt's car and got out and looked to see if this particular car had cam gears or not. Sure enough it did. Sure enough they were degreed. I told the owner let's try setting the cams back to straight up like I think they should be. The cams were HKS 280's. The intake came was 2 degrees off, as soon as I changed it the knock count in the engine dropped and the car gained 14 whp. Then I moved the exhaust cam which was off 1 degree, car gained another 10 whp. Ended up gaining 27 whp from putting the cams back to 0.
So David with that said, what are your thoughts on using the DSM holes vs the evo holes on the cam gears. I have seen numerous evos running this in FL. Everyone I talk to said this gave them more MPH at the strip. I asked how about just driving around town.....?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Getting more mph (more average hp in rpm ranges typical of drag racing) for the dragstrip with a set of cam gears is relatively straightforward. Scott at TTP Engineering has been doing quite a lot of work with this, and has been very successful in getting impressive trap speeds from it.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Ted, you and I will probably argue on this, so I am not going to bother. This is the 3rd car that came in with cam settings that I didn't agree with that I changed and gained power on.
Maybe the SMART system you have is the key to power
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, our black car has run 164.5 mph, cam gears=stock. My RS ran 128 on the "20g", cam gears=stock. I'd say those are pretty impressive trap speeds.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys calm down. in all fairness mr buschur we all know the 20g in reference isn't the one being sold right now. its the test one. very awesome traps though.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Many MANY turbos are intoduced every year, the 50 Trim has YET to be toped. Maybe the 3076R but even then I believe the 50 Trim is ultimate.
I too would have to argue that the 50trim hasent been topped......the 3065 is just one example
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

so wpuld the revolver cams make a big diffrence of 272's on a larger turbo set up like a gt35r? if so what kinda gains?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Ted, you and I will probably argue on this, so I am not going to bother.
There is no debate. VE is directly related to cam timing, and there are *hundreds* of published articles, products, and years of data that illustrates the effects changes in cam timing have on performance. This is why adjustable valvetrain gear has been produced for longer than either you or I have been living, and also why companies like Mitsubishi, BMW, etc., invest considerable effort into variable valvetrain systems that change cam timing in response to engine operating parameters. Trying to argue against something so evident is like trying to swim uphill.

Hmmm, our black car has run 164.5 mph, cam gears=stock. My RS ran 128 on the "20g", cam gears=stock. I'd say those are pretty impressive trap speeds.
This is incomplete logic, because it conveniently omits the probability that either could go even faster with a bit of calculated experimentation. It's like someone saying that something cannot work because they haven't used it.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrBubbler
so wpuld the revolver cams make a big diffrence of 272's on a larger turbo set up like a gt35r? if so what kinda gains?
In a nutshell, yes. Any cam set with long effective duration and aggressive ramp profiles is going to behave differently than a mildly profiled set like HKS 272s. As to how much, there is no concrete answer to that question. Aggressive cams are best suited (IMO) for prepped heads, and are most compatible with setups that demand greater airflow and rpm, and use turbos (and everything else) than can support it. Just keep in mind that an aggressive cam set can make for lots of aggravation if it isn't realistically suited for the application.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

the conversation is kind of pointless anyhow at the moment. been a while now since revolvers have been on the market.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My RS ran 128 on the "20g", cam gears=stock. I'd say those are pretty impressive trap speeds.
Can I try your "20g"? I can send in my stocker as a core.

What is the deal with Revolver. Are their units available at this time or still backordered?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still backordered the last time I checked...
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Where to get them?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Revolvers are still back ordered. Been months and months. Actually starting testing of some more cam sets shortly, I can't wait any longer.

Aggressive cams.....I'd say the Revolvers are aggressive and the 280's are entering the aggressive side. Both of which I have seen excellent gains, with no loss in power anywhere in the curve on cars with stock turbos, limited RPM to 7500 and stock heads/blocks.

The only down side to running a large aggressive cam is getting it to idle and run right at idle.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Revolvers are still back ordered. Been months and months. Actually starting testing of some more cam sets shortly, I can't wait any longer.

Aggressive cams.....I'd say the Revolvers are aggressive and the 280's are entering the aggressive side. Both of which I have seen excellent gains, with no loss in power anywhere in the curve on cars with stock turbos, limited RPM to 7500 and stock heads/blocks.

The only down side to running a large aggressive cam is getting it to idle and run right at idle.
Aggressive? Is there any camshaft that spools faster, with good power or are these it?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers