Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers

Went down to Buschur Racing this week for a little "upgrade" to my '04 EVO. I just picked her up today. When I get another day off work next week I will take some pictures and try to get some video up - but for now this is just to wet your appetite.

Here are a couple things I noticed-

- Boost/Torque hits earlier. The 20G/Revolver setup hits peak torque about 600 RPMs earlier than the stock turbo/280s.
- Boost holds longer plateau. Stock/280s held 320wtq for a 700rpm window. BR20G/Revolvers held 300wtq for a 2700rpm window. (and over 360wtq for 1000rpm!).
- at 3500rpms the BR20G/Revolver combo makes 80whp more and 110wtq more than the 16G/280 combo.
- for comparison's sake - the baseline run here was at 27psi. On a Dynojet at 25psi it made 380whp. So 330whp on the Mustang Dyno is roughly equal to around 390-400whp on a Dynojet.

So overall, I am EXTREMELY happy with the outcome! With cams, turbo, 02 housing, and David Buschur's tuning I picked up 30whp peak, 28wtq peak, and as much as 110wtq right where I need it for autocross racing - in the low RPMs. Plus - the REVOLVER cams have a wicked idle! To tell you truth I was disappointed because the 280's were so tame, but these things - wow! Just to give you an idea, they idle between -10 and -9 vacuum compared to about -15 with the 280's. The Revolver cams are not for the faint of heart, or someone trying to build a sleeper.

I will be adding more after the holiday and giving an update on how the alcohol injection system is working out. Later!

EVOlutionary

Last edited by EVOlutionary; May 24, 2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One note here, which I have not seen posted before (probably overlooked it) - to use the springs and retainers that come with the revolvers you have to remove the head and have it machined to fit the springs.

Is this with all of their spring and retainer kits? I will be using HKS cams with the Revolver s&r setup which i already have but have not installed yet.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

wow quicker spool with a 20g over stock turbo? :O

guess revolvers own 280's that bad.

what else was in the equation?
Old May 23, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
One note here, which I have not seen posted before (probably overlooked it) - to use the springs and retainers that come with the revolvers you have to remove the head and have it machined to fit the springs.

Is this with all of their spring and retainer kits? I will be using HKS cams with the Revolver s&r setup which i already have but have not installed yet.
To my knowledge you do not have to remove the head and have it machined to fit the Revolver springs. I have had Revolver cams, valvesprings and retainers in my car for almost 9 months with know machining done to my head and all is well on the home front. The Revolver cams are simply amazing in my eyes.
Old May 24, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1StockEvo
To my knowledge you do not have to remove the head and have it machined to fit the Revolver springs. I have had Revolver cams, valvesprings and retainers in my car for almost 9 months with know machining done to my head and all is well on the home front. The Revolver cams are simply amazing in my eyes.
?? I don't know then. That is what I was told. I know there was a problem with a shortage of Revolvers, so maybe the springs and retainers I got were a different brand. Who knows?

I will see if I can get some clarification from Buschur Racing on this issue.

EVOlutionary
Old May 24, 2006, 06:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
There's quite a difference in the AFR between the two runs. I'm presuming it's the HKS 280 curve that shows an AFR of 14.0 at 3800 rpm?
Old May 24, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
wow quicker spool with a 20g over stock turbo? :O

guess revolvers own 280's that bad.

what else was in the equation?
20G9-5 w/ ported and coated hotside, coated eBay 02 housing, ported and coated exhaust manifold, Revolver cams. I think that is all. I also had an alcohol injection system hooked up, but that is only spraying on the pump gas map.

EVOlutionary
Old May 24, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apples to oranges....post runs again when you dyno the 20G on Alky and not C16.
Old May 24, 2006, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the post Jarrod.

To be clear, I think I confused you Jarrod. The head doesn't need machine work to have the springs/retainers installed, what I think confused you is we took it to the "machine shop" to have them installed. Nothing had to be machined but when we pull the head off we take it there, it is tanked and cleaned, old valve train is taken out, valves are checked to be sure they seal good and then the new springs/retainers are installed.

Also, to be clear, the springs and retainers could be installed with the head on the car BUT we do NOT do that here. It is a major PITA.

Also the AFR's in the 14:1 range was the tune that was in the car when it came in here with the stock turbo and 280's.

The car actually made great power on the stock turbo/race gas when it came in but was too lean for me. You'll notice that the tune when it left is a ton richer. With the AFR's being on the lean side when it came in it was harder to make a huge difference in the power running the car on the rich side where I like them.

Looking forward to seeing this car run at Winged Warrior in a few weeks. It is set up nice.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
There's quite a difference in the AFR between the two runs. I'm presuming it's the HKS 280 curve that shows an AFR of 14.0 at 3800 rpm?
Yes, the leaner curve is the baseline run before the latest modifications. I know that it was not that lean last fall, but for some reason this spring it has been showing abnormally lean. I don't know if a leak at the 02 housing or downpipe could do that? I know last year after I got the tune I did alot of logs, and I never saw it this lean.

David said he wanted to give me a safe, conservative AFR since I am making pretty good power on the stock bottom end (plus 45000 miles of abuse!).
Old May 24, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

so what fuel are you running in this map? the Toque is nuts,
Old May 24, 2006, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
Apples to oranges....post runs again when you dyno the 20G on Alky and not C16.
Ummm . . . maybe I wasn't clear. These were both on VP C16 with no alcohol spraying.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Yes, the leaner curve is the baseline run before the latest modifications. I know that it was not that lean last fall, but for some reason this spring it has been showing abnormally lean.
The AFRs were above 13.0 everywhere below 4000rpm (leaner than 14.0 in the meat of the torque curve) and not dipping below the high 12s until above 6500rpm. Obviously, this leaves much to be desired. As to why it changed, it's anyone's guess at this point.

I'm just want to be clear in making the point that the stark difference in the dyno graphs is attributable to a combination of the tune, turbo, and cams.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Thanks for the post Jarrod.

To be clear, I think I confused you Jarrod. The head doesn't need machine work to have the springs/retainers installed, what I think confused you is we took it to the "machine shop" to have them installed. Nothing had to be machined but when we pull the head off we take it there, it is tanked and cleaned, old valve train is taken out, valves are checked to be sure they seal good and then the new springs/retainers are installed.

Also, to be clear, the springs and retainers could be installed with the head on the car BUT we do NOT do that here. It is a major PITA.

Also the AFR's in the 14:1 range was the tune that was in the car when it came in here with the stock turbo and 280's.

The car actually made great power on the stock turbo/race gas when it came in but was too lean for me. You'll notice that the tune when it left is a ton richer. With the AFR's being on the lean side when it came in it was harder to make a huge difference in the power running the car on the rich side where I like them.

Looking forward to seeing this car run at Winged Warrior in a few weeks. It is set up nice.
Trust me - it's not hard to confuse me!! Thanks for the clarification. I updated the original post to reflect this.

David, I know you asked me if I changed anything since it was tuned by a different shop last year and I said "no". I just remembered - I added the intercooler. It was originally tuned on the stock IC. Maybe that had something to do with how lean it was running? Don't know.

I think this is a fair comparison between the two setups. Sure, each setup was tuned by different people, but they are both experts in thier field. Anyway, I compared the shape of the baseline run posted above (peaks, plateaus, etc) with the dyno graph I had last year where it made 380whp on a Dynojet - the shape of the torque curve is exactly the same. Peak torque on the baseline run above is at exactly the same RPM as it was on the Dynojet last year. So whether the addition of the intercooler made it any leaner or not, I know it did not affect the spoolup. And that tune was good for 11.9 @119.6mph.

I am looking forward to seeing how much I will pick up with my new goodies!

EVOlutionary
Old May 24, 2006, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Are your Revolvers set straight up? And is there any solution to why the Revolvers don't work as well with some EM systems compared to the AEM? I am interested in the Revolvers, but I have seen some funky results from people other than DB.

Quick Reply: Results! 16G/HKS 280's vs. Buschur 20G-9/Revolvers