Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fresh install: Short wirte up on the Buschur 3065

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Fresh install: Short wirte up on the Buschur 3065

Yesterday the wait was finally over when the UPS man dropped a nice little package off at my house with the Return address of Buschur Racing!! I'll Start off by saying that i have a 2.3 stroker block in my car so i've been waiting to get a decent size turbo to spool fast and have hella' top end power.

I was little humored by the 1 and only signiture packing job that buschur has to offer with most products . My living room cleanup almost took as long as the install of the turbo! Thanks boys

Install Review:

It took us a little bit longer than expected b/c of a couple things,

1. I still had the stock lower IC pipe which was NOT in any way going to work, luckly my friend's evo was in the shop for a week and i stole his Ultimate Racing LICP, with his consent of course.

2. The regular manifold to header nuts were not going to work seeing that there isn't too much room to work with on the manifold, so we had to do some searching around the shop for tiny ones that would work.

3. I have never installed a slim fan before so i was kind of confused when i pulled it out of the box and looked at the connector. It couldn't plug back into the stock controller. So after some splicing and testing to make sure the fan was spinning the right way, a couple of my friends helping me made the stock connector fit just fine.

Besides that everything went pretty smoothly. We got everything together, filled the coolant, primed the oil, and started her up. Everything checked out after the radiator fill exept for one thing, the top nozzle on the wastgate was a little close to the radiator, It could have been adjusted to clear fine but it was late and we were TIRED of working with those camps that hold all of the wastgate parts together, so we were just going to keep an eye on it. Good to go

The ride:

Now keep in mind that i have a 2.3 so spool comes a little bit faster!
Started driving down the street and as soon as i hit 12 psi i blew the LICP right off! DAmnit now the 1/4 push back to the shop!

LICP back on and tightend with Tbolts, time to go for a ride again. Drove down the street and noticed that the wastgate wasn't opening. so then i drove back and swithced vaccum nozzle's and then drove out again.
12 psi hit and it was like 18 on my 20g!! unbelievable! I was just checking to make sure everything was good before i cranked the boost up! Im tuning with a Utec so everthing is pretty simple.

20psi.....Car feels like a crotch rocket, boost hits and the tach wants to break off!
I have to adjust my parameters in the utec b/c i was hitting fuel cut at redline when i usually shift at 8k rpm.
I drove the car home and noticed a little smoke comming out of my hood, so i checked the wastgate nozzle punctured a little hole in my radiator. I was able to patch it for now with JB weld until i get my new Radiator. I'm not really upset at all since it was my fault in the first place.

I can't wait to get on the road and start really tuning this beast. Im trying for 23 psi on pump gas and then methanol is soon to come.

Edit* Pictures posted little ways in.

Last edited by Nez136; May 25, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds good man!

Are you selling your 20G?

Oh yeah and post up some pics

Last edited by justchil; May 24, 2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Sounds good man!

Are you selling your 20G?
Its already sold to one of my friends that live in the are. the 20g was just too small for the 2.3!
Old May 24, 2006, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad your happy with the kit Ryan. Wait till you get it tuned. You will totally love it.

I had my car out lastnight with race gas in it and the new clutch. Wow doesnt even describe it. Its FUNNNNNN!

Let me know if you need anything man.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Are these kits in stock Jarrod? Sorry for the OT... I need a turbo
Old May 24, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
/\ I have the same question. I want to order the exedy twin hd, and 3065 at the same time....lets make it happen
Old May 24, 2006, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

I have 2 more 3065 kits that could leave in the next couple of days.

Thanks guys!
Old May 24, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

do u have to have a standalone to run these or can they be tuned on the stock ecu?
Old May 24, 2006, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
do u have to have a standalone to run these or can they be tuned on the stock ecu?
To benefit the post a standalone would definately be the way to go. It can be run on a flash tho. Best advice I can give is ti make sure you have the correct supporting mods before jumping to a larger turbo like this. We recommend our stages 1-4 before doing a turbo upgrade.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Jarrod
Buschur Racing Inc.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Jarrod, what nuts did you use to install the manifold? the top 4 have no clearance and were a real PITA, the ones we found worked, but only just.

Slim radiator fan - The connector was never going into the fan controller on Nez's car. We did some testing with an external power source and the stock fan and wound up splicing the stock connector onto the new fan, turned out that the wire colors matched up (blue -> blue and black -> black). We checked that the new fan works when installed in the car (it does), but when it comes on it kinda surges a little, going from high speed to higher speed and back every second or so. Is this normal operation? I am not familiar enough with the way the stock fan worked so just wondering if there is something we need to re-visit here.

I was lucky enough to go along for the ride on a couple of test runs....... OH YEAH!!!
Old May 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

The thing about running the stock ECU is the MAF, Drivability is not an issue now but i haven't turned the boost up to 30 psi yet. The MAF may very well see its maximum effiency on my car as soon as race gas goes in. Im going to try to push what i can with the stock until i HAVE to upgrade
Old May 24, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

hey

Check this out guys this turbo is awsome!! I found this and it has been proven well over!!http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203475
Old May 24, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Nez I sent you a PM I also have bought the FP-3065 gimme a shout, thanks.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the-moss
Jarrod, what nuts did you use to install the manifold? the top 4 have no clearance and were a real PITA, the ones we found worked, but only just.

Slim radiator fan - The connector was never going into the fan controller on Nez's car. We did some testing with an external power source and the stock fan and wound up splicing the stock connector onto the new fan, turned out that the wire colors matched up (blue -> blue and black -> black). We checked that the new fan works when installed in the car (it does), but when it comes on it kinda surges a little, going from high speed to higher speed and back every second or so. Is this normal operation? I am not familiar enough with the way the stock fan worked so just wondering if there is something we need to re-visit here.

I was lucky enough to go along for the ride on a couple of test runs....... OH YEAH!!!
I believe the stock fan uses some sort of pulsewidth controlling on the stock fan and aftermarket fans react strangely to it. Mine did the same thing until I tore the little box out of there controlling it.
Old May 24, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

wow, i didn't realize the FP3065 was both water/oil-cooled.

this looks very, very promising. out of curiosity, how would this kit fit with an aftermarket radiator?

Quick Reply: Fresh install: Short wirte up on the Buschur 3065