Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP front diff/TC problems

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP front diff/TC problems

Ok few months back i installed a exedy twin disk clutch, and after a break-in period of 300miles i went to the track and my TC started whinning on my way back home, I went to the dealer and they told me it was the front diff in the TC assembly, i got it replaced under warranty but 200miles later then noise came back again and i didnt even drove the car hard during those miles...to make a long story short basicly i had to fight with the dealer and district rep to get it replaced under warranty again thinking they put a bad part or installed it wrong. And now here i am with a 3rd TC and almost 600 miles later the noise came back again tonight and again i didnt even launch the car I am really frustrated and pissed, i dont know why the TC keeps breaking...Is it because the clutch hasnt been installed properly?

If someone knows what s going on with my car please help

coz right now i think what i am going to do is toss the exedy twin for the act street clutch and get my tc rebuild by Shepherd.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see how it can be related to the clutch, as long as there isn't some major driveability issue that you would notice. I'm talking MAJOR issue. If the clutch seems to function fine, that's not the cause of the front diff. problems.

Does the dealer know what type of gear oil the TC takes? I know it seems simple, but some dealers are clueless. If the dealership isn't using Diaqueen, that's probably the problem. If that's not it, there is probably an alignment problem that has nothing to do with the clutch.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Are you putting highway miles on the transfer case ? I was told by jon at tre that new transfer cases whether they have lsds in them or whatever - need to be broken in the first 1000 miles with no highway usage.

Apparently the highway speeds cause unbroken in transfercases to overheat.
Old May 29, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

dude your lucky the dealer even touched the TC with that clutch. Ours said, its your fault. And never even seen the car in person. Man someone just needs to take the stock gears to "rockwell or Dana" and have duplicates made and sell them with bearings for a reasonable price. And stop the $2200-$3800 mess thats going around for a rebuild or new unit. To me its just crazy, you can get a whole B16 engine swap for the cost of a rebuilt TC for an EVo. I know parts are expensive but man whats going on here, its just madness. Also if they say no higway miles for 1000 is this what mitsu does at the factory? I mean some people have 100,000miles on stock difs with racing and all. other have 3,000 miles.
Old May 29, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

yeh i did put highway miles, but i really dont think that would be the problem
coz when i got the car brand new after 300miles i got on the highway and nothing happened, around 6000+miles i replaced the clutched and since then the TC would go every 300-600 miles

i just want to know why it keeps happening

if i was shifting like crazy or lauching the car i would understand but i didnt do any of those things...

i guess i ll call john shpherd and see what he thinks
I know the dealer used diaqueen so i now it s not their fault, they were nice enough to give me 2 new TC already.
Old May 29, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Shep or TRE can rebiuld it for a reasonable price. Check their websites. It shouldnt be related but its funny that it happend directly following the clutch install. In my years working on cars if somthings f*&^ed up after doing somthing else you probably forgot somthing or didnt install it correctly
Old May 29, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah your lucky they even replaced yours under warranty with an aftermarket clutch like that in there. I honestly don't know what to tell you. It seems everyone else covered what i would have said. Good luck getting it figured out.
Old May 29, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTKage
yeh i did put highway miles, but i really dont think that would be the problem
coz when i got the car brand new after 300miles i got on the highway and nothing happened, around 6000+miles i replaced the clutched and since then the TC would go every 300-600 miles

i just want to know why it keeps happening

if i was shifting like crazy or lauching the car i would understand but i didnt do any of those things...

i guess i ll call john shpherd and see what he thinks
I know the dealer used diaqueen so i now it s not their fault, they were nice enough to give me 2 new TC already.
Did you personally see the can it came from. See all dealerships where sent diaqueen maunal fluid from mitsu for the Evo MR. So when we asked our dealership if they were using diaqueen they said yes. It was sent special to us via mitsu for the EVO. Come to find out it was Tranny Diaqueen and not LSD diff diaqueen. And the sympotms you are describing and milage that it happens at are 100% the same as if you use diaqueen manual fluid. Also our dealership told us that manual tranny Diaqueen was fine for the TC, LOL. totally difrent stuff.

Last edited by damianhindley; May 29, 2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by damianhindley
Did you personally see the can it came from. See all dealerships where sent diaqueen maunal fluid from mitsu for the Evo MR. So when we asked our dealership if they were using diaqueen they said yes. It was sent special to us via mitsu for the EVO. Come to find out it was Tranny Diaqueen and not LSD diff diaqueen. And the sympotms you are describing and milage that it happens at are 100% the same as if you use diaqueen manual fluid. Also our dealership told us that manual tranny Diaqueen was fine for the TC, LOL. totally difrent stuff.

ok well do u know the part number for the diaqueen diff fluid? thx
Old May 29, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

ok well do u know the part number for the diaqueen diff fluid? thx
I have a big can of it here 3775610. Dude just call ask to speak to the mechanic. Ask him how thick the fluid was he used in the diff. you will get 1 of 2 answers.
1. it was just like motor oil or tranny fluid, why do you ask?=he put wrong stuff in
2. It poured like honey and took forever to get it in there, i should have charged more=he used the right stuff. If you pay me shipping i can put a cup of it in a 16oz bottle. Go to the dealership with 2 foam white cups. Tell them to put a cup full of there fluid in one cup. you put the stuff i send you in the other. I got money on this one man.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

bump

anyone else agree with the wrong fluid theory?
Old May 30, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Dude Ill paypal you a buck if I'm wrong. Call up TRE and Shep and ask them what happens when the wrong fluid is installed. Ill tell ya, cause i called them. The tranny is big inside, the oil splashes around all over the place. The TC is very tight spaced, there for the gear oil need to be able to climb the gears and get into the bearings. What happens is with the wrong fluid at highway speeds its not providing the protection against wear. Then the bearings get to much clearance and cause the gears to be missaligned. Just hit up the dealer man and report back.

Last edited by damianhindley; May 30, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump

anyone else agree with the wrong fluid theory?
Sounds like the wrong fluid was put in, those are the symptoms of it... Which dealer did you take it to?
Old May 30, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Sounds like the wrong fluid was put in, those are the symptoms of it... Which dealer did you take it to?
daytona mitsubishi -_-

called shepherd, and Rc hill mitsubishi and both gave the part number for the oil, which is totaly different form what daytona mitsubishi gave me....i am on my way there now
Old May 30, 2006, 11:50 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I'd take a guess and say they put in the wrong fluid in there, best of luck man.

Quick Reply: HELP front diff/TC problems