Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT Pressure plate Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT Pressure plate Problems

Anyone have their ACT pressure plate go bad. After only 4k miles and one and only trip to the drag strip(4 runs) my pressure plate got so hot that it stayed fully engaged. Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited by mxjs; May 28, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

you do proper break in?

if you beat on things they will break... ACT makes good product, but its not invincible. they can be glazed and destroyed if you beat on them.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't beat on it, i broke it in for around 400 miles or so, then I went to Iraq. That was the first time i even launched the car hard. What suprises me is how good the disc and flywheel look, but the pressure plate is shot. Even the guy who did my clutch said he's never seen that before.

Last edited by mxjs; May 28, 2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 28, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mxjs
I didn't beat on it, i broke it in for around 400 miles or so, then I went to Iraq. That was the first time i even launch the car hard. What suprises me is how good the disc and flywheel look, but the pressure plate is shot. Even the guy who did my clutch said he's never seen that before.

I'd like to see pics of the flywheel, both sides of the disc, and the pressure plate face if possible. It sounds like you either beat it up pretty bad (which you say you didnt do ) or a bad install

without measuring the disc and seeing the parts its hard to say what was actually wrong. I wouldnt go throwing around accusations saying a reputable companies product is crappy. Have you even bothered calling up ACT or the vendor you bought it from to try and resolve the issue? I know its frustrating when you spend your hard earned money on a part that is supposed to perform but try resolving the issue before bashing the product. ACT is a great company when it comes to cutomer support and Im sure they will try to work w/ you on this if you explain the situation.
Old May 28, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ries
I'd like to see pics of the flywheel, both sides of the disc, and the pressure plate face if possible. It sounds like you either beat it up pretty bad (which you say you didnt do ) or a bad install

without measuring the disc and seeing the parts its hard to say what was actually wrong. I wouldnt go throwing around accusations saying a reputable companies product is crappy. Have you even bothered calling up ACT or the vendor you bought it from to try and resolve the issue? I know its frustrating when you spend your hard earned money on a part that is supposed to perform but try resolving the issue before bashing the product. ACT is a great company when it comes to cutomer support and Im sure they will try to work w/ you on this if you explain the situation.
Your right about the bashing part, just angry. I'll take pics tomorrow, the install was done right, I didn't have any problems with it until the one time I took it to the track, I'll try to get a hold of them on tues.
Old May 28, 2006, 09:16 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't know exactly what you mean by the pressure plate getting so hot that it stayed engaged. Can you elaborate on that?

Let me take a look at the pressure plate. Email the photos of all the parts if you can. My email is dstarksen@advnacedclutch.com. Of course I would have preferred to hear from you and have a chance to evaluate the parts before you go and start threads titled "ACT pressure plate sucks" but I am here to help regardless.
Old May 28, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
I don't know exactly what you mean by the pressure plate getting so hot that it stayed engaged. Can you elaborate on that?

Let me take a look at the pressure plate. Email the photos of all the parts if you can. My email is dstarksen@advnacedclutch.com. Of course I would have preferred to hear from you and have a chance to evaluate the parts before you go and start threads titled "ACT pressure plate sucks" but I am here to help regardless.
Sorry about that just a bad weekend, tried to edit it, but wouldn't let me. What happened was I took it the track did three runs with about 45 minutes between runs. On the last run, the clutch stayed engaged. In order to get it into gear I had to start the car with it in gear, even then the car would lurch forward.
Old May 28, 2006, 09:35 PM
Former Sponsor

I haven't seen a pressure plate cause the clutch to stay engaged like that unless there was some sort of failure or something (not very common on the EVO). If anything when the pressure plate warps from oveheating, it will slow the shifting or cause lockout at high rpms, but not complete engagement and a small adjustment will fix it. I can't wait to see what the parts look like.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Had a similar problem with the "drag" talon i built for Dave. We used the MAXX Extreme clutch kit and flywheel from ACT and a few hundred miles later we were getting locked out of the gears; weren't able to shift into any gears at all. Come to find out it was not machined correctly and was not fully disengaging. Adjusting the engagement point didn't do much. Mind you this was on a brand new Shep trans and everything so it was not a tranny issue, no drag runs, only dyno time and easy road driving. Pulled the tranny, got the ACT flywheel and pressure plate re-machined and everything was fine after that.

I am not saying anything bad about ACT, i have always used them and love their products. I am simply stating the one bad experience i have had.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the same prob as u bro i bought a brand new clucth in 4 27 2011 and only have 2,500 miles on it i did a 1000 mile break in period i was driving and i stoped at a stop sign and the car did not go in gear at all .... i turn the car off then start it on first and drove it home all in first gear good thing i was 3 blocks down my street .. =) but clucth has no pressure on the lines at all so i replaced the master and slave and all new lines and still not enough pressure and still dose not go into gear ... im in the progress of taking the clucth off and snaping pics for act to see
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like an issue with the clutch fork to me...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
U sure bout that cus ima pull the tranny out tomorrow
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nope mine worked fine.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Usually when heat does this it is boiled clutch fluid. Once it boils there is air in the line and you need to replace the fluid and bleed the clutch properly. ATE super blue brake fluid has a higher boiling point and will help but overheating the clutch that much will shorten its life dramatically.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:21 AM

i have a simmiliar clutch problem

Quick Reply: ACT Pressure plate Problems