Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS Silent Hi-Power Review

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Silent Hi-Power Review

I am taking the easy way out on the review. Below is a PM I sent to someone who enquired about my mods - HKS Silent exhaust in particular... You can see my mods from my sig, car is JDM EVO IX, The Defi gauges are Boost, EGT and Oil Pressure.

How is it???
I really like the car the way it is… I liked the way it was when it was stock also, but now it is faster and louder. The gauges came out really nice. If you want, you can see some daytime pictures by clicking here

Is it loud or ok?
Silent w/t decat is livable. It will definitely be louder than stock – even at idle. Crusing around it is slightly louder, where the exhaust noise in the modified car now barely overtakes the engine noise Before I could only hear the engine noise, which is not that nice anyways. At WOT it gets loud. I live in a crowded city and I try to avoid WOT because it will attract attention. This is rather due to the fact that in town the sides of the road are covered with buildings which amplifies the noise. In open b-roads, WOT runs are fun fun fun and make the perfect amount of noise for how fast the car is now...

Another thing that people who drove my car and I noticed – when you sit in the driver seat, the exhaust noise is noticably louder than when you sit in the passenger seat... I drove my wife, friends and colleques (mostly people slightly over 30 years of age) and all I got was compliments on the sound. Nobody said it was too loud. The only other referance point I can give is that the Silent with decat in the evo is ever sligthly louder than my bi-turbo S4 (b5) with catback exhaust... You can always put the catalizer back on if you still feel that the car is too loud. I would not recommend anything louder unless you aim for over 400HP.

Do u have a dyno sheet?
My car is mapped to run 1.55bar boost in the upper gears. I do not have any dyno sheets, but we have tried highway runs with a friend who has a stock IX. Going at 3500RPM in 3rd gear side-by-side, I let him step on the gas first and I can literally pull in front of him by the time I change to 4th pulling around 2 car lengths in each gear. We never went after 4th gear as the speeds start getting silly and the outcome is clear...

AFTER DOING THIS WRITEUP, I DYNOED MY CAR

link: dyno sheet

Last edited by Bosshog; Oct 27, 2006 at 03:44 AM. Reason: ADD LINK TO DYNO SHEET