Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO VIII JDM vs USDM engines...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVO VIII JDM vs USDM engines...

Ok, from my understanding, the USDM EVO VIII engine pumps out 271hp, which isn't bad at all don't get me wrong, however, the JDM engine puts out 320hp. Now that's a significant increase bone stock. I would just like to know, what does the JDM engine have that the USDM engine doesn't? Can you buy the parts that the JDM engine has to make the USDM engine have 320hp? I know you can modify the USDM engine to put out more than that with proper exhaust, etc, but having a starting base of 320hp would be much better. I think, if I owned one and was rich, importing the JDM engine (since I live in Canada I don't have to worry about emissions) and put it in an EVO VIII (that I would have to go down to New Hampshire to buy, since we don't get them here ) Anyway, yeah, I'm just curious what different parts the JDM engine must have to put out 50hp more?
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

The difference mainly comes from ecu differences. The USDM ecus are programmed for stricter emission laws in the US and for the lower octane gas found in the US.

EDIT: Supposively there is an ecu upgrade that's going to be sold by Ralliart or that brings up the Evo's hp to about 350hp by the way. You can find the 350hp ecu thread some where in these forums.

Last edited by AiRicLy; Apr 17, 2003 at 02:29 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AiRicLy
The difference mainly comes from ecu differences. The USDM ecus are programmed for stricter emission laws in the US and for the lower octane gas found in the US.

EDIT: Supposively there is an ecu upgrade that's going to be sold by Ralliart or that brings up the Evo's hp to about 350hp by the way. You can find the 350hp ecu thread some where in these forums.
Are you refering to the "FQ300" (I believe it is called)?

Has anyone tried swapping ECUs yet???
Old Apr 17, 2003, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

No, i wasn't refering to the FQ300. The FQ300 is more than an ecu thing. Here's an article that talks about the differences between a FQ300 Evo VII and a normal 276hp Evo VII.

http://www.carenthusiast.com/2002121...evo7fq300.html
Old Apr 17, 2003, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: EVO VIII JDM vs USDM engines...

Originally posted by Majarvis
Ok, from my understanding, the USDM EVO VIII engine pumps out 271hp, which isn't bad at all don't get me wrong, however, the JDM engine puts out 320hp. Now that's a significant increase bone stock. I would just like to know, what does the JDM engine have that the USDM engine doesn't? Can you buy the parts that the JDM engine has to make the USDM engine have 320hp? I know you can modify the USDM engine to put out more than that with proper exhaust, etc, but having a starting base of 320hp would be much better. I think, if I owned one and was rich, importing the JDM engine (since I live in Canada I don't have to worry about emissions) and put it in an EVO VIII (that I would have to go down to New Hampshire to buy, since we don't get them here ) Anyway, yeah, I'm just curious what different parts the JDM engine must have to put out 50hp more?
It would be nice to just be able to plug in the JDM ecu. But as I understand it aside from the 100 octane gas available in Japan OBDII isn't used there and would cause havoc if that ECU is used in a USDM car if it would work at all.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There may be exhaust differences, too. Anyone know if the overseas Evo has a cat installed? The muffler might also be different.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 09:20 AM

Oh ok so it's basically just a different ECU, higher octane gasoline, and muffler, but all the same engine components? Ok cool. Yeah if I could ever afford an EVO VIII, I'd probably first get that Railliart ECU, because at least you know it's going to work flawlessly since they are a Mitsubishi subsidary.

Actually come to think of it, I wouldn't mind just having the priviledge of test driving an EVO VIII, but I don't feel like driving all the way down to New Hampshire to do so. Damn you Transport Canada and your bumper regualtions! damn you!
Old Apr 18, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

They must be getting some serious tax penalties if the EVO is putting out 320 in Japan. I heard they have a HP limit in the upper 200's and you've gotta pay above that. Any truth to this?
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:43 AM

I don't think so. I know that there used to be a gentleman's agreement that they couldn't advertise more than 280ps, but I'm pretty sure that is expired now, and they Japanese auto makers are starting to really advertise the real power. Because before they would, for example, advertise the Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec II as having 276ps, but when dyno'd it put out like 350ps.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have been talking to a few people on this subject from Phillipines, and other places. From my knowledge as of now with some testing down there, the only real difference between JDM and USDM is the missing AYC/ACD. Now the reason why we see to have less power is because they had to tune the car to not kill it self on 87 octane. We all know there is some idiot out there that will do it. So in placement they modified the ECU to a mapping that can handle what gas we have and pass emissions. As of yet I am pretty sure our exhaust helps pass emissions, but internally the cars are identical.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Obsoleteasian
I have been talking to a few people on this subject from Phillipines, and other places. From my knowledge as of now with some testing down there, the only real difference between JDM and USDM is the missing AYC/ACD. Now the reason why we see to have less power is because they had to tune the car to not kill it self on 87 octane. We all know there is some idiot out there that will do it. So in placement they modified the ECU to a mapping that can handle what gas we have and pass emissions. As of yet I am pretty sure our exhaust helps pass emissions, but internally the cars are identical.
No, the car is tuned for 93 octane. However, it will survive a tank of bad gas.

Here is the way a DSM ECU does it.

Basically, the ECU monitors knock, and will retard the timing to prevent knock. This works EXTREMELY well in the short term. In the long term, if the ECU senses knock during the last X number of open-loop operations, it will lower the boost to the level that the wastegate is set to (9psi). That should be a big knock preventer. After that, it will periodically test the fuel being used by raising the boost back to stock levels. If it senses knock, it will lower the boost again. If there is no knock during open loop, it will raise the boost back up to factory levels.

This system works really well on DSMs. And I suspect that the Evo has a similar setup.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
In the long term, if the ECU senses knock during the last X number of open-loop operations, it will lower the boost to the level that the wastegate is set to (9psi). That should be a big knock preventer. After that, it will periodically test the fuel being used by raising the boost back to stock levels. If it senses knock, it will lower the boost again. If there is no knock during open loop, it will raise the boost back up to factory levels.
Josh, did you mean to say timing instead of the boost drops up there? As far as I know, boost is dropped (boost solenoid closes) only after timing retardation of 12.5 degree is not enough and knock still exist (which is a very rare case, btw).

Fedja
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

Josh, did you mean to say timing instead of the boost drops up there? As far as I know, boost is dropped (boost solenoid closes) only after timing retardation of 12.5 degree is not enough and knock still exist (which is a very rare case, btw).
Hmmm, you may be right that the ECU drops boost only if the 12.5 degrees is not enough. But I thought that there was also a long term boost cut that would kick in if a lot of knock was detected at every WOT.

I've never seen the ECU try to drop boost on my car.