Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR lower intercooler pipe and MBC question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no there is no adjustment on the BOV, just different springs and spacers. and it only flutters/ sputters when i hook it up with a 'T' in the BOV hose.

well i went out and video taped what happens with my BOV, this is slowly giving it boost. at no time am i letting off the throttle, at no time am i pushing on the brake, and at no time am i pushing in on the clutch while it is sputtering.
Here is the link to the site i uploaded the video too, sorry it is shakey, i was trying to drive and record.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/...0c4e7d25edc.htm

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so you say the Buschur pipe goes from the intercooler to the intake manifold? now I don't see how replacing that pipe makes you loses the nipple on the turbo. You say that you only have the problem while T'ing to the BOV, so If you hook it up the other way, like it should, I don't see why you can't do it that way. BTW your video link doesn't work....
Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe having the T on there causes some sort of pressure differential on the BOV that it doesn't like? Maybe causing some sort of vacuum in there, causing the BOV to open?

Definitely try the nipple on the turbo like others are saying.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...c4e7d25edc.htm
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

OK ok, first i fixed the link to the video.

Second i have drawn out two pictures showing the factory set up of an EVOLUTION 8 and the Buschur Racing setup of an EVOLUTION 8. I really hope there isnt any confusion. The first picture is the factory setup, the second picture is the buschur racing setup. also i will include the link to the video

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...c4e7d25edc.htm

Also this happens when slowly accelerating and slowly building boost. I am not letting off the gas, i am not braking and i am not pushing in on the clutch.
This does NOT happen when I am WOT (pedal to the floor) it holds boost fine if i am WOT (pedal to the floor).

Also the higher i set my boost the worse it gets. i keep it around 19 to 20 psi, but it still does it.

I really cant think of anything else to repeat. i think i covered everything. all i ask is one thing... if you have a question please be sure that i havent already answered it in this forum cuz i am getting a little frustrated, BUT I do want to say thank you for everyone's help and ideas. all ideas are welcome and i will answer any questions you have and am willing to do about anything ot fix this problem.

Last edited by drewblueeye; Dec 14, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Your drawing doesnt seem very accurate, you said your Buschur LICP went from the intercooler to the intake manifold, but in your picture its on the other side, WTF? Also you show the turbo nipple on the LICP? I still don't know how your car is setup like that, on my car the turbo nipple is on the right side of the turbo looking down at the engine, its right behind the nipple for the wastegate, seeing that we both have 05's something is weird, did you buy your car used, I mean what's going on here? Maybe you should have a professional look at it. I have a similar setup and it works great.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

That is wierd. and if i said that the lower intercooler pipe was connected to the intake manifold then i typed wrong cuz i didnt mean to type that. as far as the nipple. well if you have an 05 and i have an 05 then, there is something wierd cuz my turbo nipple is on the lower intercooler pipe. yours is different? dont suppose you would be willing to post a picture of this nipple on the turbo. cuz i have looked at mine over and over, infact i have taken my LICP off, and my cold air intake off and i see no nipple on the turbo. but i am not saying there isnt one there. if you cant take a picture of it could you draw out a picture showing where exactly this nipple is on the turbo? and as far as taking it to a professional... well i have been working on car professionally for a long time at a dealership here in sioux city, ia... BUT i have never worked on anything with a turbo on it. and honestly i have looked for a professional close by and cant find one. no one knows anything about this car, not even the local dealership... so all i can do is ask questions on here, call buschur racing, and hope that people will help me out. anyway if you could post a pic or a drawing if that nipple on the turbo that would be great
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:01 PM

Drewblueeye is right. There is NO NIPPLE on aftermarket LICP. I too have to use his set up with the greddy intercooler. I have the same sound/flutter when building boost slowly, that was when i was using my greddy type s, i bought the JDM BOV and i has stopped!! problem solved, now i just installed my friends' hks BOV vta and that too leaks when building up boost slowly.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

I have the horse power freaks LICP and it doesnt even come near the nipple on the turbo, I am not sure what you guys are doing but something really isn't right unless you are referring to pipes with different names. My definition of the LICP is the pipe that goes from the intercooler on the passenger side of the car straight to the turbo and there is no nipple there!!! The nipple is on the driver side of the turbo right on the turbo, undernath the MAF pipe that comes from the air filter. At least that's how it is on my car.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

WELL Dan628,
There I have to say something is weird then cuz my nipple is on the LICP that connects to the turbo, and there is NO nipple on my turbo and i have looked at my friends 2005 Evo 8 and his nipple is on the LICP too. So you must be lucky then. I just went to a welding shop had the nipple from the factory pipe taken off and welded on the aftermarket LICP and the flutter is gone.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Well I am glad you got it fixed man, good luck with your ride!
Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:56 PM

Dan628, yes you are right with all of us. there is "no nipple" on the LICP. that is what we been saying. I dont know why yours is hooked up to the MAF pipe because that is not a pressure source. ANd no there is no nipple on the turbo, believe me, i have worked on many evo and i've never seen such nipple, even though there is a diagram under the hood that says it does but i've never seen one.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:50 PM
Account Disabled

There is no nipple on the lower ic pipe (the pipe that connects the pipe that comes off from FMIC to the turbo outlet) that buschur sells.

I have mine setup like the dudes, and it's off by about 2 psi.

you need to do it before the butterfly, tapping it off the bov line isn't going to be very accurate, but it's effective and constant boost source.

lots of them do it off of the bov line because there is no nipple on the lower ic pipe.

There is no nipples on the TURBO itself.

Have you fix the leak yet?

I'm concern about having no slack on the coupler on the buschur delux pipe and the LICP's flange being so thin that it may be bending off of the turbo outlet, which causes boost leak.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

I'm gunna post a picture just so you don't think I'm crazy, If the nipple is on the LICP then why does buschur sell their LICP without the nipple? I mean I have the horsepower freaks LICP and it has no nipple, yet I still have my nipple for my MBC to hook up by the turbo, and NO I am not using the nipple on the MAF pipe. I have mine hooked up fine and it works great, I just can't believe how many people out here have no clue, any way here is a pic I found of the nipple that I use as the source to my MBC...

Old Jul 2, 2006, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Ok here is another picture too... the hose on the left coming from the wastegate actuator, and the hose on the right, the turbo nipple!

Quick Reply: BR lower intercooler pipe and MBC question